PDA

View Full Version : [Brainstorming] Mishra, Artificer Prodigy

Tog
02-13-2011, 10:05 PM
Today is the first day I actually read the full text on Mishra, Artificer Prodigy despite having played through Time Spiral block. Its colors fit the artifact deck motif I wanted to build (Red primarily for Goblin Welder, Trash for Treasure) and it would be different from all those Esper EDH decks floating around. Mishra has a great ability but unfortunately, the rules of EDH completely neuter it. After a lot of pondering about how to abuse it, here's what I got:

Playable:
Nether Void - Cast an artifact without paying the additional three and have it be countered. If stacked right, Mishra will bring said artifact back from graveyard to play. Similar to Demigod of Revenge if people counter it incorrectly.
Thada Adel, Acquisitor - Connect with Thada play someone's Sol Ring. Tutor for an additional Sol Ring from your deck.
Brainstorm/Ponder - Cast Brainstorm and use Mishra's shuffle effect afterward to shuffle away unnecessary cards.

The Bad:
Chalice of the Void
Grinning Totem
Blood Funnel

Has anyone else come up with any cards that have some sort of synergy with Mishra? I was hoping there was a spell who copied an artifact while on the stack to tutor up some artifact from the deck. Something like Sculpting Steel (copying someone else's artifact) to tutor the same artifact of your own. Except for the part that it doesn't work. I don't think I'm that lucky though...

Aggro_zombies
02-13-2011, 10:32 PM
This just seems so much worse than running a real general in these colors, though. I mean, yeah, Mishra is a 4/4 for four, but...he does basically nothing unless you have one of the cards you mentioned, and even then he's not that great. Like, ramp is the best deck type in EDH, and Nether Void doesn't do very much to hurt that deck after a certain point in the game, while still hampering your non-artifact spells.

Plus, white has some pretty sweet artifact support.

Tog
02-14-2011, 11:17 PM
No doubt white has more support for an artifact themed deck than the white variant. To begin with, Open the Vaults and Roar of Reclamation are two very powerful white cards for an artifact deck. However, I want the deck I build to be different. There are so many Esper decks floating around with Sharuum or Sen Triplets.

The benefits of running red are few but there are a few powerful options. For example, Goblin Welder is just stupid with a Strider Harness/Lightning Greaves/Thousand-Year Elixir/Skill Borrower. Hoarding Dragon isn't terrible either.

The artifact deck that I'm trying to build is going to be focused around powerful tap abilities like Master Transmuter, Kuldotha Forgemaster, and Goblin Welder. I'm still in the theory phase of the deck but Necrotic Ooze is going to be stupid awesome.

In the meanwhile, if anyone else comes up with interesting interactions with Mishra, I'm all ears. I recently realized how great Sensei's Divining Top would be in this deck. Although it's a great card on its own, the top in this deck would also have the power to shuffle when Mishra is in play.

Telekinesis
02-17-2011, 11:58 PM
I tried a Mishra deck online with cards order the top of your library and stuff like Djinn of Wishes but it was too clunky to be effective. You can get a lot of turns with Timesifter, or make use of Galvanoth I guess.

Cool combo with Nether Void though.

luckme10
03-02-2011, 03:05 AM
Seems like scroll rack would be good as well.

kombatkiwi
02-14-2012, 12:36 AM
I'm just bumping this up because I've been thinking of building a similar deck.

Apart from the cards identified in the OP as having synergy with Mishra in commander, I found the following

Mindleech Mass
Fiend of the Shadows
Muse Vessel
Knacksaw Clique
Ornate Kanzashi
Shared Fate
-These are all a bit crap because it's completely random whether you're going to hit an opponents artifact or not (Mindleech mass is a bit less random, but still, that's a lot of mana)

Praetors Grasp (This is pretty neato)
Spelljack (spelljack an artifact that you have in your deck - spelljack is just a fine card on its own if you want to hit their prime titan or something)
Arcane Denial (Becomes ancestral recall for 1U and a bit of a delay)
Knowledge Pool
Fold into Aether (You cast it on your own artifact spell, let mishra's trigger resolve and then flash in a sundering titan or something)
Shaman's Trance + Yawgmoth's Will
River Kelpie (If you have blood funnel or nether void, when you counter your own artifact and it comes back then you draw a card)
Nullstone Gargoyle (Basically Nether Void 2.0)

Yes, there are a bunch of good esper generals, but for something different there's nothing wrong with wanting UB + Goblin Welder.

I might put up a decklist later on
Can anybody think of any more cards that interact with Mishra?

Edit GOBLIN ARTISANS LOLOLOLOL

Another thing you probably want is a list of artifacts that are really popular
Sol Ring
Crypt/Vault
Disk/O-Stone
Sundering Titan
Solemn Simulacrum
etc

Offler
02-16-2012, 03:57 AM
Mishra solved my problem with need of more shuffling the deck.

Example:
You have a lot of two card combos in your deck. Use Top, Scroll rack, Crystal ball to check cards.

Drop artifact. search your library and shuffle it. Use TOP again... Good for artificer deck...

Malchar
02-16-2012, 05:16 PM
I think someone else posted a Mishra deck using a similar strategy a few months ago in this EDH forum. I think that that deck revolved around abusing chalice of the void, but there might have been some other good technology in there as well.

It's obviously sub-par, but it seems really fun. You could try going deep with artificier tribal and coat of arms for massive general damage (Mishra starts out as 4/4 for 4 after all).

kombatkiwi
02-16-2012, 08:29 PM
Yeah i tested a few games with a build and its awesome when it goes off but it did feel a bit clunky whwn you draw all the fat you want to welder in.
I think i need more of like scroll rack brainstorm etc to abuse the fact that you get a free shuffle whenever you cast an artifact with mishra out

Zlatzman
02-17-2012, 08:06 PM
Not quite sure if this works, but I think you could:
Have Vedalken Orrery and Mishra in play. Cast Elixir of Immortality, then Remand it. Cast Elixir again with the original Mishra's trigger still on stack. Sacrifice Elixir to shuffle it into your library and gain 5 life. Let Mishra's trigger resolve to fetch the Elixir.

Congratulations, you've just spent 5U + orrery and Mishra to gain 5 life and shuffle your graveyard into your library, with the option of doing it again for 2.

kombatkiwi
02-18-2012, 03:33 AM
That works perfectly, way too much effort though haha
ive given up on this deck lol

Malakai
02-18-2012, 06:02 AM
I am going to make this happen.

Seriously, can you imagine? You put your general out there at the start of the game, everyone looks at it. Some people have to read it. Half of them look at you like you're an idiot, before they think "I guess it's a 4/4 for 4." Somebody asks the question, "So...are you just playing him for the colors?"

"No," you reply. "My entire deck is based on him."

I want to explain what Goblin Artisans does so badly.

Damiles
02-22-2012, 09:42 PM
If anyone is interested in a podcast :
http://www.commandercast.com/s4e1-unleash-your-hateful-spirit#more-629
It's near the end at 57:57 mins
And includes some cards not mentioned
Acquire
Planar choas
ice cave
soothsaying

apohlman
08-19-2012, 01:17 AM
play mishra then an etherium sculptor bringing the other three out in the deck making all artifacts cost 4 colorless less you can go many different routs from here but what i did was followed up with arcbound crushers for free followed by cranial platings, ferropedes, and luxodon warhammers laying everything down in the right order by the end of one turn you could have 4 crushers at least 12/12 not to mention each of the cranial platings would give a +20/0 all for 6 mana not bad huh

WildCard
09-08-2012, 08:33 PM
I have a Mishra deck but it has 1 traditionally banned card, from unhinged and it is "__________"
This came about because I wanted to build a deck around 1 card, a card that you wouldn't be able to build around in commander, it was pyromancers ascension. that 1 card from unhinged makes the deck much better. pay 1 mana make it a name of an artifact your about to cast, put it into play, get it into the graveyard somehow, and then just keep changing the name to power up pyromancers ascension. I go into games asking if that card is ok to play for fun, not in league play or anything just with friends, if they say no I have other decks. but yeah that podcast has good ideas for abusing that general, nether void is funny. good luck BTW, I look forward to seeing if you can build something that uses the general alot.