PDA

View Full Version : BoM 5 - Legacy Main Event - Results @ Maná Infinito

PeAcH
05-14-2011, 08:41 PM
We have published the information relative to the BOM Legacy main event @ Maná Infinito (in Spanish):

Results @ Maná Infinito (http://manainfinito.com/articulos/road-annecy-dia-4-legacy-main-event)

Master Shake
05-14-2011, 11:04 PM
Two landstills in top 16! Hooray!

3 Show and Tell decks in top 16, Hooray!

Reanimator gets second, Hooray!

This is all very exciting

Jigga_Tech
05-14-2011, 11:38 PM
Are there any deck lists up anywhere or am I just missing them?

Master Shake
05-14-2011, 11:54 PM
Are there any deck lists up anywhere or am I just missing them?

I haven't found them just yet, I don't think they exist at this time.

GoboLord
05-15-2011, 05:10 AM
Congratulations to Matthias Frauenschläger!

2 years in a row a German wins the Legacy Main Event of BoM!

I am the brainwasher
05-15-2011, 09:31 AM
Yes, biggest congratz to Matthias! Well done!
Cant w8 to see those lists... .
Btw: Both Dredge and Reanimator in the Top4, I lika a lot:tongue:

Ubiquitous Druid
05-15-2011, 10:39 AM
Top 16 Summary:
4 Merfolk
3 GSZ Decks (Bant, Zoo, GW)
2 Landstill
2 Sneak and Show
1 Team America
1 NO Show
1 Reanimator
1 High Tide
1 Dredge

Seems like Aggro is back, and that decks playing Ad Nauseum are notably absent from the final cuts. Cheating fatties into play seems as viable a strategy as ever. That Landstill won the tournament might signal a renaissance of the deck. I'm really curious about the lists and the field breakdown, but there is a good variety of decks in the top 16.

GoboLord
05-15-2011, 01:18 PM
Top 16 Summary:
That Landstill won the tournament might signal a renaissance of the deck.

UBG-Landstill is different from UWx-Landstill in many ways. I think the UBG-list that won the tourney is most likely what most of us know as "Deedstill" or "Jacestill".

Clark Kant
05-15-2011, 04:50 PM
Come on, someone post the 2nd place Reanimator list in the Reanimator thread.

kiblast
05-15-2011, 06:46 PM
I am very very interested in the Jace Landeed list. I found the deck to be rather disappointing in meta full of Merfolks and Junk, and generally to be too slow and not flexible enough for large metas. Props to Matthias Frauenschläger for choosing this archetype and arriving first in such a big event.

Ubiquitous Druid
05-15-2011, 10:51 PM
UBG-Landstill is different from UWx-Landstill in many ways. I think the UBG-list that won the tourney is most likely what most of us know as "Deedstill" or "Jacestill".

I agree completely. It just seems to me that a lot of people had written off all the landstill variants as a tier-2 strategy. 2 top-16 finishes in a high-profile event might push it back into the forefront of people's minds and make it more prominent in the metagame.

Goddik
05-16-2011, 02:24 AM
Note that he ran 4goyf, 4confidant in the sideboard which lets him transform quite effectively. Whether this is just a gimmick relying on incomplete information or a genuine advancement in the deck i do not know, but it does seem to solve alot of its issues. He also ran all manlands instead of wasteland

menace13
05-16-2011, 02:49 AM
Note that he ran 4goyf, 4confidant in the sideboard which lets him transform quite effectively. Whether this is just a gimmick relying on incomplete information or a genuine advancement in the deck i do not know, but it does seem to solve alot of its issues. He also ran all manlands instead of wasteland

Where are the deck lists?

TheSleeper
05-16-2011, 05:18 AM
Pleease decklists? I'm massively interested in the Sneak Show list, an underrated deck thats not crippled by MM (in fact could run it..). Anyone?

frolll
05-16-2011, 05:21 AM
Still no decklists popping on French Websites... Guess it could take a while :/

Adan
05-16-2011, 07:00 AM
Come on, someone post the 2nd place Reanimator list in the Reanimator thread.

It was pretty standard, without Ponder and Mystical but with more Duress effects (3 Duress, 2 Thoughtseize) and Dazes (a full playset). And he ran one Turbulent Dreams maindeck just for the hilarity and a red splash for SB techs (Blasts and Pyroclasms, not sure about Blasts, tho).

His target config was 2 Iona, 2 Sphinx of the SW, 1 Inkwell and 1 Blazing Archon, i'm not sure what he played in addition to that.

But what I found surprising: A fuckload of Batterskulls running around. Instant-Minibaneslayers are funny.

The Dredge going top8 was not such a surprise, the guys from North-Rhine-Westfalia came to the event with a card full of Dredge (yes, 5 Dredge people in 1 car). All of them played the identical 75 and one of them manages to get through. But I noticed that Dredge applies psychological pressure as well, even excellent players like Ruben Gonzalez punted against Erik.

Catitas
05-16-2011, 08:03 AM
If happens like last year, it will take at least a month for the decklists...

Pemmin
05-16-2011, 08:10 AM
If happens like last year, it will take at least a month for the decklists...
that would suck!
As soon as anyone has any lists...please post them!

GGoober
05-16-2011, 09:36 AM
Landstill has never been a tier 2 or bad deck. It's just not a popular deck, or basically approached incorrectly or built incorrectly (this includes myself). It is a tremendously difficult deck to build because there are a lot of free slots compared to other decks that when chosen correctly in the right metagame, could really put out strong performance. You'll see a lot of Landstill threads on other forums flying around that claim that this list is the best list or the strongest list, but there's really no such thing. The archetype is so fluid that it's very punishing to both deck creation and piloting.

I'm super excited as well! Dcklistx or it didn't happen!

(nameless one)
05-16-2011, 11:09 AM
Also, Landstill has this thing on going on draws everytime under an unskilled pilot. That's why not a lot of players play Landstill.

lorddotm
05-16-2011, 12:52 PM
Don't mind that is scoops to a resolved Ĉther Vial. The only reason it does well now is because it has Mental Misstep to answer that bane.

chags
05-16-2011, 02:59 PM
Is anyone really surprised landstill did well with MM out? It put two players into the top 8 at the scg open this weekend too.

Master Shake
05-16-2011, 06:03 PM
I'm surprised that the lists at SCG Orlando didn't use Peacekeeper. Merfolk cannot beat that card.

At the point I stopped playing Landstill, I really wasn't losing to Merfolk anymore except when they had the insane perfect mana, perfect threat density, perfect disruption draws. So, it's zero percent surprising that Landstill did well.

HokusSchmokus
05-17-2011, 03:33 AM
It was pretty standard, without Ponder and Mystical but with more Duress effects (3 Duress, 2 Thoughtseize) and Dazes (a full playset). And he ran one Turbulent Dreams maindeck just for the hilarity and a red splash for SB techs (Blasts and Pyroclasms, not sure about Blasts, tho).

His target config was 2 Iona, 2 Sphinx of the SW, 1 Inkwell and 1 Blazing Archon, i'm not sure what he played in addition to that.

But what I found surprising: A fuckload of Batterskulls running around. Instant-Minibaneslayers are funny.

The Dredge going top8 was not such a surprise, the guys from North-Rhine-Westfalia came to the event with a card full of Dredge (yes, 5 Dredge people in 1 car). All of them played the identical 75 and one of them manages to get through. But I noticed that Dredge applies psychological pressure as well, even excellent players like Ruben Gonzalez punted against Erik.

Also, this car ought to get at least someone top 8: the most skilled dredge pilots I ever saw are among them, e.g. Erik

daPaule
05-17-2011, 04:31 AM
I'm surprised that the lists at SCG Orlando didn't use Peacekeeper. Merfolk cannot beat that card.

Unless he has a jitte out ;)

menace13
05-17-2011, 04:48 AM
Unless he has a jitte out ;)
If Jitte does not have a counter on it before Keeper resolves then it isn't going to get one all game.

Why are the top 8 lists taking so long? Are they really going to take a month like last year?

Brot_Ohne_Kruste
05-17-2011, 05:01 AM

Actually we had just 4 people playing Dredge in the car. Our norwegian guy wanted to play something controllish, so we germans had to proof, that Mental Misstep isn't such a big deal for that deck.

I think the overall score was something like that:
Me Trial: 6-2-0
Me Main: 10-2-0
-> 16-4-0

Timo Trial: 6-2-0
Timo Main: 6-2-1
-> 12-4-1

Julian Main: 0-4-drop
-> 0-4

Dennis Main: 1-2-drop
-> 1-2

--> 29-14-1

Also, this car ought to get at least someone top 8: the most skilled dredge pilots I ever saw are among them, e.g. Erik

Thank you very much :).

Gocho
05-17-2011, 07:47 AM
Congratulations for the Top.

Can you post your list, and maybe a minireport with the matches?
Do you see many grave-hate?

menace13
05-17-2011, 07:53 AM
Congratulations for the Top.

Can you post your list, and maybe a minireport with the matches?
Do you see many grave-hate?
His report is here;
http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/showthread.php?20880-Bazaar-of-Moxen-5-Top-4-with-LEDless-Dredge

Tinefol
05-17-2011, 09:35 AM
Well, I've finished 5th with NO Zenith Bant. Might write a short report. Too bad that I don't remember much(

Lost to the winner in top8. Won game1, lost game2, mulliganned to 3 in game3. Awww. Guess that happens in magic.

Here's the list, anyway

4 Tropical Island
2 Tundra
1 Savannah
4 Misty Rainforest
4 Windswept Heath
1 Forest
1 Plains
1 Island
1 Dryad Arbor

4 Noble Hierarch
4 Tarmogoyf
2 Qasali Pridemage
4 Vendilion Clique
1 Progenitus

4 Brainstorm
2 Ponder
3 Mental Misstep
4 Force of Will
4 Natural Order
3 Green Sun's Zenith
4 Swords to Plowshares
2 Umezawa's Jitte

Sideboard
3 Path to Exile
2 Llawan, Cephalid Empress
2 Enlightened Tutor
2 Null Rod
1 Tormod's Crypt
1 Wheel of Sun and Moon
1 Ethersworn Canonist
1 Krosan Grip
1 Loaming Shaman
1 Serenity

jjflipped
05-18-2011, 10:42 AM
The coverage of this event is so absurdly bad... I really wish we could just have some lists to play with.

Big thanks to the few people who posted their lists and reports on here!

zerzab11
05-18-2011, 01:18 PM
Got 12th at the main event with the following list:

4 Sneak Attack
4 Show and Tell

4 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
4 Progenitus

4 Force of Will
3 Daze

4 Brainstorm
4 Ponder
3 Intuition

3 Lotus Petal
2 Seething Song
2 Echoing Truth

4 Volcanic Island
4 Ancient Tomb
4 Scalding Tarn
3 Misty Rainforest
3 Island
1 Mountain

Board:
3 Red Elemental Blast
3 Divert
3 Bloodmoon
3 Volcanic Fallout
3 Trinisphere

Went 7-1-1 in Swiss, lost the mirror in the Top 16 (was my only loss in the Swiss as well, with one Gameloss for tardiness...) due to some really bad draws :(

Might write a mini report when my headache has gone.

Tinefol
05-18-2011, 03:10 PM
I know that they have all the deck lists of top16 typed in. I've actually seen em on the PC of the coverage team, during the tournament. I don't know why it takes so long to actually post them, though.

schniggaz
05-18-2011, 03:26 PM
Got 4th at the Trial on Friday (6-1-1) and 10th at the main event with the following list:

4 Savannah
1 Plains
2 Forest
2 Horizon Canopy
1 Gaea's Cradle
1 Karakas
1 Temple Garden
4 Windswept Heath
1 Wooded Foothills
1 Misty Rainforest
3 Wasteland
1 Dryad Arbor

1 Tarmogoyf
4 Knight of the Reliquary
3 Stoneforge Mystic
4 Mother of Runes
2 Qasali Pridemage
1 Quirion Ranger
1 Scryb Ranger
3 Aven Mindcensor
1 Birds of Paradise
1 Thrun, the Last Troll
1 Eternal Witness
1 Gaddock Teeg
4 Noble Hierarch

4 Green Sun's Zenith
1 Umezawa's Jitte
1 Sword of Feast and Famine
1 Batterskull
4 Swords to Plowshares

Sideboard:

1 Thrun, the Last Troll
1 Phyrexian Metamorph
1 Tormod's Crypt
1 Engineered Explosives
1 Wheel of Sun and Moon
2 Ethersworn Canonist
2 Enlightened Tutor
2 Krosan Grip
1 Serenity
2 Path to Exile
1 Bojuka Bog

At Friday I only lost to SneakShow in the Final. And at the main event I went 7-0-2 in the swiss, and lost in the Top 16 to M.Frauenschläger because we had to play a third game with "First blood".
The judges decided that we had 50 minutes for the match, but it took already 50 minutes for the first two games. So whoever gets the first damage in the third game loses the match. This was really strange.

Tinefol
05-18-2011, 03:47 PM
@schniggaz
very solid playing from you, I've been really impressed watching some of your games. The 'sudden death' is really unfortunate though, almost as bad as my mulligan to 3 :D But its a rule for timed single-elimination matches. I guess DCI couldn't come with anything better than that.

Griselpuff
05-18-2011, 05:13 PM
hey schniggaz, do you have your friends BUG landstill list? I'm really excited to see that one. I was the asian guy playing Show and Tell Hive Mind. For the trial I went 6-1-1, but in the main event I scrubbed out and dropped in round 6

schniggaz
05-18-2011, 05:48 PM
Thanks Tinefol ;-) The deck was a pleasure to play :)

I am not really sure about the list, but this is what I think he played (perhaps the number of cards isn't correct):

3 Pernicious Deed
2 Innocent Blood
2 Go for the Throat
3 Ghastly Demise
4 Brainstorm
4 Mental Misstep
4 Force of Will
4 Counterspell
1 Putrefy
3 Jace, the Mind Sculpteur
4 Standstill
2 Sensei's Divining Top
4 Mishra's Factory
2 Mutavault
4 Underground Sea
1 Island
3 Tropical Island
1 Wasteland
9 Fetchies

Sideboard:
4 Tarmogoyf
4 Dark Confidant
3 Relic of Progenitus
2 Consuming Vapors
2 ???

JACO
05-18-2011, 06:25 PM
I've got the decklists for the BoM Legacy main event and they will be up on Eternal Central tonight. Stay tuned.

cdr
05-18-2011, 07:18 PM
I've got the decklists for the BoM Legacy main event and they will be up on Eternal Central tonight. Stay tuned.

Aha, now we know who to blame.

Griselpuff
05-19-2011, 09:13 AM
http://www.eternal-central.com/?p=1512&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+EternalCentral+%28Eternal+Central%29

You can all thank me. :)

Griselpuff
05-19-2011, 09:29 AM
Just some preliminary analysis

3 Control decks (Landstill, Team America (yes it's control))
6 Combo (Dredge, Reanimator, Show and Tell, Spiral Tide)
7 Aggro (Bant is sort of split, but it's mostly aggro)

Most played NPH cards:

1. Mental Misstep- 33
2. Beast Within- 2
3. Batterskull/Elesh Norn/Surgical Extraction/Phyrexian Metamorph 1

I guess predictions were right, with 33 Misstep present out of a possible 64 and in 9 out of 16 decks. FOW was in 13/16 decks. Brainstorm was in 9/16 = 36 slots. 26 wastelands. Only 16 goyfs, 12 GSZ, and 5 tops

frolll
05-19-2011, 09:43 AM
This looks like a healthy meta, IMHO. Sure, there is 3 Merfolks in 12-15 or so, but hey, a meta kinda needs a dominant deck, otherwise it loses all form of focus and just returns to the kinda état de nature, which was Legacy a while (or tbh Pre-SCG Open :D :D) ago.

I'd say that we can split "pure" aggro (Zoo and, in general, non-counters Aggro/Ctrl) and Aggro/Ctrl (Bant, Merfolks) - it could get us a better broad picture of the meta, because in your suggested method many FoWs and Missteps are "hidden" under aggro. ;) /2 cents

EDIT : Graveyard-dependant combo decks v. non-graveyard combo ? :P

Griselpuff
05-19-2011, 11:29 AM
Of course, but for a metagame where we have 16 decks, it's less useful. Obviously, Bant can be Aggro, Control or Combo in the course of a single game, but I just called it Aggro since that's the primary plan. Whereas NO Show and Dredge and Reanimator the plan is from extreme "synergies".

Anyways, blue came out way on top as usual. Major props to the Zoo deck, he packed 3 chokes sb. :)