PDA

View Full Version : [Los Angeles, CA] June 5th - FREE ENTRY Legacy - Mox Emerald+more

Koby
05-18-2011, 10:46 PM
I just spoke with Charles from the Frank n Son's Show who also runs www.mtgdeals.com. He is finally opening up his shop in San Gabriel, and to honor this grand opening he is hosting several tournaments. This store should be able to seat 60 comfortably, with possible room for more.

Friday, June 3rd 7:00 PM
FREE ENTRY Standard Tournament
1st - Jace, The Mind Sculptor
2-4th - 1x Zendikar Fetch land

Saturday, June 4th 12:00 PM
$10 Sealed Deck
1st - Jace, The Mind Sculptor

Sunday, June 5th 12:00 PM
FREE ENTRY Legacy Tournament
1st - UNLIMITED MOX EMERALD

Side events and casual play all weekend!

Store's URL - www.mtgdeals.com

Store's address:
702 South Del Mar Blvd
San Gabriel, CA 91776
corner of Mission Rd and Del Mar Blvd

Ozymandias
05-19-2011, 01:47 AM
Seems good.

Koby
05-25-2011, 02:22 PM
About 1 week away, who plans on attending?

everythingitouchdies
05-25-2011, 03:27 PM
Even if I could get the day off work I would need a ride from the valley. Anyone from out here going?

lorddotm
05-25-2011, 05:17 PM
Even if I could get the day off work I would need a ride from the valley. Anyone from out here going?

You can't teleport? Loser.

everythingitouchdies
05-26-2011, 05:08 AM
You can't teleport? Loser.

I lost my teleporting boots the last time I was out drinking.

blackdeck
05-27-2011, 12:55 PM
Ben, it's Keith, I live in Burbank. I could probably hook you up with a ride if you get the day off.

daugarten
05-27-2011, 01:25 PM
How badly I wish I could go to this... How long until the next tournament nearby?

Koby
05-27-2011, 01:28 PM
Check the main subforum. There's a big tournament on June 26th.

everythingitouchdies
05-27-2011, 02:05 PM
Ben, it's Keith, I live in Burbank. I could probably hook you up with a ride if you get the day off.

Awesome. I will see what I can do.

NathanS2k
05-29-2011, 12:38 AM
OMG...this is soooo close to my house and it's free! But I already made plans for that weekend. :(

thefreakaccident
05-29-2011, 02:12 AM
Cancel them, because I am definitely heading to this one.

lavafrogg
05-29-2011, 04:44 AM
Once again I want to drive from AZ but don't want to go it alone.

SuperProxy
05-31-2011, 03:54 PM
insta bump 50-50 on this one well see i dont even know what deck to play im so confuzzled

lorddotm
05-31-2011, 05:54 PM

When are you going to just bite the bullet and move to Cali?

saspook
05-31-2011, 06:47 PM

Have you looked at taking the train?

Koby
05-31-2011, 06:50 PM
Have you looked at taking the train?

I think Amtrak serves booze on the train, at least on the Pacific Surfliner they do.

j-flo
05-31-2011, 09:46 PM
Anybody want to car pool from Orange County to this event?

lavafrogg
06-01-2011, 02:40 AM
AAAHHHHH, I have no idea why I came back to Arizona and its zero legacy policy. I am from San Diego and could easily move back there but I actually love the Grand Canyon State as a place to live.

I can very easily drive alone but that really takes the fun out of a magic getaway. /le sigh, I guess my magic dreams will just be regulated to actual dreams for now...

When I left AZ the first time there was a solid legacy scene...but now definitely not.

OMG, I have a friend to go with me!!!!!! Is there going to be a turnout for this if i drive from AZ?

lorddotm
06-02-2011, 05:20 PM
I need a ride. Who loves me enough to let me hitch one?

PanderAlexander
06-04-2011, 04:06 AM
I played in their grand opening Standard tournament today and it was great. Anyone who's gone to Franks knows how cool Charles is. I found out they're giving away a free dual land randomly in the legacy tournament, which adds already to the free entrance and Mox prize.

lavafrogg
06-04-2011, 08:09 AM
We are coming from Phoenix if anyone needs a life along the way.

LOL, the trip starts at 2!

daugarten
06-05-2011, 11:09 AM
Ahh! I just got my shift covered at work tonight, so I'm gonna head to the tournament!

Thing is, wasn't expecting to be available and I don't have three Cephalid Coliseums. Anyone have some I could borrow for the event? I'll be there with a janky Dredge deck trying to make something happen :P

saspook
06-06-2011, 03:01 AM
60 people played Legacy today.
Tony won the Mox Emerald with Aggroloam
Sean took second with Deedstill
Shai, third with Deadguy
Chuck, fourth with Maverick
the rest of the top eight was
Billy with Imperial Painter
Todd with NO Elves
Derrick with Junk
Kevin L with Team America / BUg.

lavafrogg
06-06-2011, 03:47 AM
Holy crap today was a lot of fun, I just got home, 6 hour drive, to end my 22 hour magic day and 34 hours without sleep.

The store was awesome, well stocked with singles and other magic the gathering purchasable. I was a little sorry to see some people turned away at the start of the tourney but when 73 people show up and there are 60 spots there is not much you can do.

The southern california metagame was ripe for a manabase disrupting deck to destroy and I was two plays away from 5-1 and making the top 8 with junk as well.

Thank you so much to everyone involved for putting on the tourney and with that kind of turnout for a legacy tourney West Coast legacy might actually start rivaling the east coast counterparts soon.

grats tony! post your list!!!!

mercs
06-06-2011, 04:54 AM
Even for the people who didn't t8, it was a great crowd, and the Win-A-Box side tourney was awesome.

PanderAlexander
06-06-2011, 05:18 AM
Great tournament, very fun, and congrats Tony.

tgDC$
06-06-2011, 11:20 AM
Great Tournament, Great Shop, Well run, what more can you ask? Good games to everyone I played. My Top 8 match with Shai was pretty ridiculous. Sorry if I came off pissed after, I was on tilt from some of my bad decision making in our pivotal game 3.

Koby
06-06-2011, 11:23 AM
Great Tournament, Great Shop, Well run, what more can you ask? Good games to everyone I played. My Top 8 match with Shai was pretty ridiculous. Sorry if I came off pissed after, I was on tilt from some of my bad decision making in our pivotal game 3.

You should have seen my tilt from Round 1 against Shai - "waste your dual, hymn your 2 other lands" ughh random factors are the worst kind of luck!

Congrats Tony! write a report!!

SuperProxy
06-06-2011, 12:37 PM
so heres the list of what I rolled with last Sunday

Chuck-4th place Maverick

4 Noble Heirarch
4 Knight of the Reliquery
4 Stoneforge Mystic
2 Qasali Pridemage
2 Tarmogoyf
2 Mother of Runes
1 Trygon Predator
1 Scryb Ranger
1 Eternal Witness
1 Rafiq of the Many

4 Swords to Plowshare
3 Mental Misstep

2 Elspeth, The Knight Errant

1 Betterskull - rukus would say
1 Sword of Fire and Ice
1 Sword of Light and Shadow

2 Forest
1 Plains
1 Dryad Arbor
1 Gaea's Cradle
1 Maze of Ith
1 Karakas
2 Horizon Canopy
2 Tropical Island
3 Savannah
4 Windswept Heath
4 Wasteland

SB:
3 Mindbreak Trap
2 Gaddock Teeg
2 Ethernsworn Cannonist
3 Krosan Grip
1 Umezawa's Jitte
1 Sword of Feast and Famine
1 Bojuka Bog
1 Relic of Progenitus
1 Qasali Pridemage

was a GREAT tourney I was happy well then again I'm always kinda TOO happy

Round 1 - Weston Brown with NO PANTS(according to boss man Ben Perry)
Game 1: (he mulled to 5)Turn 1 Noble turn 2 Knight turn 3 stoneforge get SoFaI equip to Knight thanks to cradle then attack!
Game 2: Opened up with trifecta he turn 1 Toughtseize me I misstep then turn 2 duress seeing both teeg and canonist with batterskull and zenith at hand he took zenith drew Mindbreak Trap he tries to Echoing Truth my canonist I hard cast Mindbreak Trap and cannonist and batterskull went all the way
probably one of my luckier games that day he could have gone of turn 1 without me having to interact

1-0 2-0-0

Round 2- Tony forgot your last name but i called him T_dog- Aggro Loam
Game 1: all i remember is double Seismic assault and double loam i blacked out after
Game 2: mulled to 6 should have mulled to 5 takes it with double bob i believe

1-1 2-2-0

Round 3- Christian with affinity (Ravager edition)
Game 1: He all in with ravager eats every artifact he had and with a timed swords to plow on his last guy he was left with nothing on board facing down a double exalted Qasali Pridemage
Game 2: he goes of with glimpse with 1 creature at hand he netted 1 card and i believe he drew another land from it really unlucky elspeth + Knight gets in

2-1 4-2-0

LUNCH BREAK steak burrito wins this one

Round 4 Keith French my favorite person in every tourney
Game 1: all i know is that brainstorm put 2 back next turn brainstorm see the same 2 back on top of the deck
Game 2: too much threat for me not enough for him well none at all actually bad beats

3-1 6-2-0

Round 5 Jacob the man with the dog too bad didn't get to see it with Merfolk
Game 1: misstep his vial waste his land play big creatures
Game 2: try not to play forest on this MU because of how good submerge is in timewalking me but i ended up doing it anyways it wasn't a choice played Stoneforge mystic turn 2 fetching BETTERSKULL and going all the way with 4 then 5 then 6 damage thanks to exalted cant race it

4-1 8-2-0

Round 6: Senior Sean W JaceStill
Sean offered to ID but i wanted to play so he showed me who's the boss and just wreak me game 1 after that while shuffling offered me again to ID and obviously i accept for some reason i cant beat jace boo

4-1-1 8-2-0

waited a while for other competitors to finish while watching Phil the master tabulate the tiebreakers MANUALLY blows my mind that people can do that lol was worried about my breakers but everyone kinda reassured me that i got paired up and i was for sure in because of it but crossed my fingers and i luckily got 8th place by a mere .16 difference in the breakers

Top 8: Todd NO ELVES ( i thought it was Combo Elves )
Game 1: i win the die roll played turn 1 heirarch he turn 1 zenith for 0 to get arbor i waste then played stoneforge get battered skull he played land priest of titania i swords it and played EOT batterskull got all the way in
Game 2: he mulls to 5 boarded in all my combo hate at this point because people told me it was combo elves dam scouter's getting it wrong he zenith for 1 i misstep he lanowar elves turn 3 i swords i know hes just looking for a green source to feed the beast progenitus my board is looking classy with a Knight
a mother of runes and a heirarch he get to do get a progenitus out while i played a RAFIQ THE MANY give my Knight pro green thanks to MoM and swing in for the kill with a 9/9 exalted Double Striking badass that a knight should be

Top 4: Sean W JaceStill and also known as WINSTILL
Game 1: too much control not enough jace just starts to juggle my creature and he loamed and wasted all but 2 of my lands scoopsmagee
Game 2: turn 1 Mom gets Misstep i Misstep back He then Missteps again rough i played turn 2 goyf gets raped by Dismember using up 4 more life next turn i played Knight he said OK the turn after another Knight and said OK again got in there 2 Knights for to kill a Jace if it comes to that
Game 3: early game is good for me get to play heirarch get a waste land and play scrybranger giving him full value of 3 for 1 me with a deed alot of standstill breaking on his benefit and drawing everything playing 2 jaces and even with playing 2 fatties a turn he has answers for everything but o well cant win all of em

Top 4 got me an Arid Mesa hehe gave it away as soon as i got it don't need 6 of em anyways

Pros:
-only lost to Tony and Sean who got first and second anyways obviously better players than I am
-free tournament worth the 45 min drive from OC
-Awesome Shop

Cons:
-AC couldn't handle the Bodies inside the shop ran hot late afternoon
-wearing a jacket and couldn't take it off because my shirt had a hole on it lol

thanks for reading

saspook
06-06-2011, 01:18 PM
Yeah, there were a few bumps with the a/c, free Internet, and the wizards software not working.

The index card system was definitely old school, and I am really glad it went as smoothly as it did. It is unfortunate that I couldn't do tiebreakers before the last round, but we were able to do all the tie breakers for the top eight pretty quickly. And with minimal delay between rounds the turn over wasn't too bad.

Koby
06-06-2011, 01:42 PM
1 Betterskull - rukus would say

Indeed.

1 Gaea's Cradle

This land rocks in the deck. It's gets so much value out of SFM->Play/equip in the same turn... just like...

Round 1 - Weston Brown with NO PANTS(according to boss man Ben Perry)
Game 1: (he mulled to 5)Turn 1 Noble turn 2 Knight turn 3 stoneforge get SoFaI equip to Knight thanks to cradle then attack!

:)

Antonius
06-06-2011, 04:54 PM
@Derrick: That game three was crazy man you guys were going at it for a while, though I think the mistake that cost you the game was getting Feast and famine instead of jitte. IIRC, the game state was Shai tapped out behind a SFM that just got batterskull and a bob. You had active batterskull and 6 mana, tapping two for a stoneforge. Cast and equip jitte for the vigilant swing would have ended it, straight up.

Mox Emerald Tournament Report (http://www.forums.westcoastlegacy.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=215).

This event was really fun and Charles runs an awesome shop. I look forward to playing there again soon!

tgDC$
06-07-2011, 03:55 AM
@Derrick: That game three was crazy man you guys were going at it for a while, though I think the mistake that cost you the game was getting Feast and famine instead of jitte. IIRC, the game state was Shai tapped out behind a SFM that just got batterskull and a bob. You had active batterskull and 6 mana, tapping two for a stoneforge. Cast and equip jitte for the vigilant swing would have ended it, straight up.

Mox Emerald Tournament Report (http://www.forums.westcoastlegacy.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=215).

This event was really fun and Charles runs an awesome shop. I look forward to playing there again soon!

Yea Vidi gave me an earful about that line of play. I mean it clearly was better in all aspects, I just don't know why in the moment I passed it up.. Congrats Tony

thoren_
06-07-2011, 05:09 AM
What decks filled out the rest of the Top 16 (9th-16th)?

lavafrogg
06-07-2011, 06:25 AM
The tourney was done by hand due to technical issues so no decklists were taken. I would say that the room meta was mostly bant aggro control some with mystic some without. A team America player top 16'd as did a junk player. Dredge also had a strong presence in the room with 10-12 players.

PanderAlexander
06-07-2011, 06:36 AM
Dredge also had a strong presence in the room with 10-12 players.

In my first round, next to me on the left and right, were both Dredge mirror matches. When I walked around I saw three more Dredge mirror matches in that first round.

SuperProxy
06-07-2011, 12:50 PM
i dont know about dredge seems really really bad with heavy batterskull meta by turn 3 your bridges go away when you return the equipment back to your hand

lorddotm
06-07-2011, 12:52 PM
Yea Vidi gave me an earful about that line of play. I mean it clearly was better in all aspects, I just don't know why in the moment I passed it up.. Congrats Tony

I once had 4 mana floating, 11 storm, and I was resolving a tutor, I went and grabbed Infernal again and promptly lost. Happens to the best of us.

COBBLER
06-07-2011, 01:59 PM
Lol funny story liam, congrats tony

lorddotm
06-07-2011, 02:01 PM
Lol funny story liam, congrats tony

The best part about that story is that my record during the tournament was 7-0 but 14-5 in games. I literally straight punted 5 games. I was sick.