PDA

View Full Version : [EDH] Intet, the Dreamer (Kind of)

SpookyCheerios
06-08-2011, 11:03 AM
I build this deck for two reasons; 1. To be built around the new commander coming out soon, and 2. to have a combo deck for my local EDH league. I need a little help with it though.

Lands:
Misty Rainforest
Flooded Strand
Scalding Tarn
Vivid Creek
Cascade Bluffs
Simic Growth Chamber
Vivid Grove
Vivid Crag
Minamo, School at Water's Edge
Gruul Turf
Rootbound Crag
Flooded Grove
Maze of Ith
Copperline Gorge
Izzet Boilerworks
7x Forests
8x Islands
5x Mountains

Creatures:
Intet, the dreamer
Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind
Mystic Snake
Terastadon
Oracle of Mul Daya
Primeval Titan
Deciever Exarch
Spike Weaver
Seedborn Muse
Pentavus
Kozilek, Butcher of Truth
Mindwrack Liege
Consecrated Sphinx
Hateflayer
Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker
Plaxcaster Frogling
Jin-Gitaxias, Core Auger
Murkfiend Liege
Vorinclex, Voice of Hunger
Izzet Guildmage
Phyrexian Metamorph
Pestermite
Eternal Witness
Sakura-Tribe Elder
Spellskite

Instants/Sorceries
Desperate Ritual
Lava Spike
Time Stretch
Reverbrate
Bribery
Beast Within
Counterspell
Capsize
Manamorphose
Spelljack
Worldy Tutor
Mind Spring
Krosan Grip
Crop Rotation

Enchantments
Lurking Predators
Pandemonium
Training Grounds
Intruder Alarm
Pattern of Rebirth
Doubling Season
Rhystic Study
Splinter Twin
Survival of the Fittest

Planeswalkers
Tezzeret the Seeker
Jace Beleren

Artifacts
Sol Ring
Paradise Mantle
Blade of the Bloodchief
Skullclamp
Scroll Rack
Gilded Lotus
Coalition Relic
Simic Signet
Gruul Signet
Izzet Signet
Khalni Gem
Sensei's Divining Top
Ashnod's Altar
Akroma's Memorial
Isochron Scepter
Temple Bell

Davran
06-08-2011, 01:15 PM
It would be helpful if you included a description of what you're trying to do with the deck. That would make it much easier to provide suggestions.

SpookyCheerios
06-08-2011, 01:29 PM
I'm trying to make a deck that can regularly combo off, and still be able to survive until it does. I need more tutors in order to get the combo pieces and I have about 7 combos total. Everyone in the league has decided to make combo decks, so I have to be able to either combo first, or keep them from getting their combos until I can.

Malchar
06-08-2011, 04:09 PM
Can you put [ cards] [ /cards] tags around it and separate out the combo pieces? I'm also making an Intet deck, although I don't plan to play combo or use the new general, so I'm not sure if there will be much similarity.

BWM
06-09-2011, 02:50 AM
Any deck in these colors needs Guided Passage, since that card is awesome

BWM
06-09-2011, 02:51 AM
Any deck in these colors needs Guided Passage, since that card is awesome

TheAardvark
06-09-2011, 12:04 PM
Tooth & Nail allows you to combo off with 1 card, so I think it deserves a lot.

You have a grand total of 4 ways to view/manipulate the top card of your library, which is not nearly enough if you want to use Intet effectively. Using Intet effectively is actually a good and often quick way to combo off. Some suggestions along those lines:

Future Sight
Magus of the Future
Brainstorm
Mystical Tutor
Personal Tutor
Jace, the Mind Sculptor
Crystal Ball

There are plenty of others, but those are probably the ones to consider most highly

As far as comboing faster goes, you need faster mana as well. Things like Mana Vault, Mana Crypt, and Grim Monolith help out tremendously.

To prevent others from comboing you're going to need counters or graveyard hate or both, depending on what kind of combos they are going for. Counterspell, Mana Leak, Spell Pierce, Hinder, Dissipate, and Faerie Trickery are good utility counters for 3cc or less. For graveyard hate, the usual suspects are good: Tormod's Crypt, Relic of Progenitus, Phyrexian Furnace, etc. are all fine.

Just some thoughts/suggestions from someone who has played a lot of Intet.

Davran
06-09-2011, 02:08 PM
To prevent others from comboing you're going to need counters or graveyard hate or both, depending on what kind of combos they are going for. Counterspell, Mana Leak, Spell Pierce, Hinder, Dissipate, and Faerie Trickery are good utility counters for 3cc or less.

Mana Leak, Spell Pierce and other similar spells are pretty terrible in EDH. 3 mana is hardly a tax to stop someone from comboing off.

The best counters are always hard counters. Some of my EDH favorites:

Mystic Snake
Voidslime
Hinder
Remand
Muddle the Mixture
Faerie Trickery

All of those give you some other benefit besides the countered spell, which is something you should always strive for in EDH.

As for the rest of the deck, you have a bunch of mana ramp sorceries thrown in there...these cards will rarely get there for you. Stick with repeatable effects like Thran Dynamo, Grim Monolith, Basalt Monolith and the like. Since you're in blue, you can run Power Artifact and Copy Artifact to keep the infinite mana going. Also, you can find them using Fabricate for a little more consistency.

Your deck seems to rely on the Splinter Twin/Kiki-Jiki combo plan, and yet you have no way to reliably find the cards you need to make it work. If you focus there you'll have much better results. I'm not sure what Doubling Season is doing for you here. This could easily be something to help you find your combo.

TheAardvark
06-09-2011, 03:21 PM
Mana Leak, Spell Pierce and other similar spells are pretty terrible in EDH. 3 mana is hardly a tax to stop someone from comboing off.

Only if they already have infinite mana. Generally speaking, they're going to use all of their mana to combo off early, or at least the vast majority of it, so using easier to cast counters that become hard counters in many situations is definitely worth considering (I forgot to list Remand, though). I'm not sure this is necessarily the correct deck for that strategy, but he mentioned stopping others from comboing off, so I threw out some ideas. UUG1/UUG/ isn't always going to be available in the early part of a game in a 3 color deck (even with a "perfect" manabase), so giving yourself flexible options to potentially prevent your opponents from winning seems like a fair idea. Yes, those cards are sometimes less than spectacular, but I can tell you withoubt a doubt that, at least in the few decks I have played them in, they have performed admirably.

SpookyCheerios
06-10-2011, 01:27 AM
1. I'm a She, not a He xp.
2. I added Tooth and Nail, Mystic Snake, worldly tutor, mystical tutor, personal tutor and a few others.
3. Kiki-Jiki is actually only one of the 6 combos there. The other ones are all just as easy to combo off with. I've been combo-ing fairly quickly/easily each game, but I usually take a bit of damage first because I don't have any removal.

Malchar
06-10-2011, 04:08 AM
Can you put [ cards] [ /cards] tags around your decklist? Also, it would be nice if you pointed out which cards form combos.

SpookyCheerios
06-10-2011, 07:05 AM
I actually have to re-do the entire list because I changed things, but yes. I can do that when I get the time.

SpookyCheerios
06-10-2011, 07:46 AM
Can you put [ cards] [ /cards] tags around it and separate out the combo pieces? I'm also making an Intet deck, although I don't plan to play combo or use the new general, so I'm not sure if there will be much similarity.

Lands:
Misty Rainforest
Flooded Strand
Scalding Tarn
Vivid Creek
Cascade Bluffs
Simic Growth Chamber
Vivid Grove
Vivid Crag
Minamo, School at Water's Edge
Gruul Turf
Rootbound Crag
Flooded Grove
Maze of Ith
Copperline Gorge
Izzet Boilerworks
7x Forests
8x Islands
5x Mountains

Creatures:
Intet, the dreamer
Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind
Mystic Snake
Terastadon
Oracle of Mul Daya
Primeval Titan
Spike Weaver
Seedborn Muse
Pentavus
Mindwrack Liege
Consecrated Sphinx
Hateflayer + Training Grounds + Paradise Mantle
Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker + Pestermite or Deciever Exarch or Intruder Alarm
Plaxcaster Frogling
Jin-Gitaxias, Core Auger
Vorinclex, Voice of Hunger
Izzet Guildmage + Desperate Ritual + Lava Spike
Phyrexian Metamorph
Eternal Witness
Sakura-Tribe Elder
Spellskite

Instants/Sorceries
Reverbrate
Bribery
Beast Within
Counterspell
Capsize
Manamorphose
Spelljack
Worldy Tutor
Mystical Tutor
Krosan Grip
Crop Rotation
Primal Command
Tooth and Nail
Life From the Loam

Enchantments
Lurking Predators
Mirri's Guile
Pattern of Rebirth
Doubling Season
Rhystic Study
Splinter Twin
Survival of the Fittest

Planeswalkers
Tezzeret the Seeker
Jace Beleren

Artifacts
Sol Ring
Blade of the Bloodchief
Planar Portal
Scroll Rack
Gilded Lotus
Coalition Relic
Simic Signet
Gruul Signet
Izzet Signet
Khalni Gem
Sensei's Divining Top
Ashnod's Altar
Isochron Scepter

Admiral_Arzar
06-10-2011, 05:38 PM
More artifact mana would help accelerate your combos. I recommend Mana Vault, Grim Monolith, Voltaic Key, Mana Crypt, Thran Dynamo, Worn Powerstone, and Mox Diamond to start with.

SpookyCheerios
06-10-2011, 06:43 PM
I feel like I'm good mana wise, using coalition relic, khalni gem, and gilded lotus. Oh, and the three signets and sol ring. I also have a few ramp creatures. I tend to get there just fine with mana, my deck really isn't all that expensive.