PDA

View Full Version : [Los Angeles, CA] 6/19 - Legacy: Duel for Duals - FREE ENTRY

Koby
06-13-2011, 05:45 PM
What started off as a singular event, has become a month long promotion for the new store - MTGdeals. Charles runs the website, their new store, as well as a booth at the Frank and Son's Collectibles show every Wednesday and Saturday. He's a very friendly dealer and loves to help out the players with good deals and now awesome tournaments. Come out to support his new venture and play some good games!

During the last event, there were nearly 70!! players who came out to the free Mox event, with another 30 showing up to the unannounced tournament last weekend for a dual land duel.

The details -
June 19th - Sunday 12pm
FREE Legacy Tournament
Prize payout: Duel for Dual Lands

Address:
702 South Del Mar Blvd
San Gabriel Ca 91776
corner of Mission Rd and Del Mar Blvd

www.mtgdeals.com

Other events:
June 17 - Friday 7pm
FREE FNM
Total Prize payout 1 Booster Box

June 18 - Saturday 12 pm
$15 Sealed Deck

June 24th - Friday 7pm
FREE FNM
Total Prize payout 1 Booster Box

mercs
06-13-2011, 07:04 PM
OMG! This is crazy! How do they make money?!?!!?

This place has almost instantly become one of the best mtg places in SoCal. I hope they've got more WIN-A-BOX tourney's too!!!

Koby
06-13-2011, 07:10 PM
Did you notice the giant line of people buying and selling cards all day?

Yea, something to that effect. :)

PanderAlexander
06-13-2011, 09:08 PM
This place has almost instantly become one of the best mtg places in SoCal. I hope they've got more WIN-A-BOX tourney's too!!!

I agree, everyone who knows Charles knows he's a cool guy that takes care of his customers, and those that don't know him will find out. His shop is well stocked with all legacy staples and his buy and sell prices are very good. His shop opening is a huge boon for the L.A. MTG community.

Antonius
06-14-2011, 01:06 AM
Charles = gangster.

daugarten
06-14-2011, 02:01 AM
I, too, love Charles. Having just met him the day of the Mox tourney I was happy to drop $40-something bucks for cards I thought were "neat." I noticed plenty of other players doing the same alllll day long...

Too bad this next tourney is on Father's Day. I know I'll be making it to all of his events I can manage.

everythingitouchdies
06-14-2011, 05:03 AM
I am interested in attending, piloting something new, anyone want to pick me up from the valley?

sclabman
06-14-2011, 10:24 AM
I'd like to go but I have tentative prior engagements. I can take you if I do end up going, Ben.

everythingitouchdies
06-15-2011, 06:20 PM
I'd like to go but I have tentative prior engagements. I can take you if I do end up going, Ben.

Just let me know when you know.

Tru3z3rox
06-15-2011, 10:41 PM
It also really REALLY helps that they are SO CLOSE to the boba place called Half and Half...I'm drooling already. Magic and boba all day!

NathanS2k
06-15-2011, 11:42 PM
Living in SGV, I'm sick and tired of boba drinks. I perfer horchata over boba anyday. :-D

sclabman
06-16-2011, 01:57 AM
Just let me know when you know.

I can't make it. It's too far to be able to be back in the valley by 6pm for a family gathering.

mercs
06-18-2011, 06:37 AM
Sigh... I think father's day is getting in the way for me on this one. Hope the tournie goes well and that mtgdeals puts out more!

PanderAlexander
06-19-2011, 10:32 PM
How'd the tournament go? I heard the turnout was still good even though it was Father's Day, 20+ people.

everythingitouchdies
06-20-2011, 08:43 PM
It was like 23 people and 5 dredge decks. Dark Depths deck went 5-0 in swiss and split with shai in finals of top 4. As it was only a cut to top 4 the guy in 4th (Jack) had the same record as the guy in 8th (me.) Good tournament, lots of fun and great games.

I lost to dark depths, beat dredge, lost a close match to combo elves, beat dredge again, and then beat affinity to finish 3-2.

keys
06-20-2011, 09:19 PM
Didn't realize 3-2s could make top 4... Guess I shouldn't have dropped.

PanderAlexander
06-20-2011, 09:22 PM
It was like 23 people and 5 dredge decks. Dark Depths deck went 5-0 in swiss and split with shai in finals of top 4. As it was only a cut to top 4 the guy in 4th (Jack) had the same record as the guy in 8th (me.) Good tournament, lots of fun and great games.

I lost to dark depths, beat dredge, lost a close match to combo elves, beat dredge again, and then beat affinity to finish 3-2.

Awesome, nice work Ben, tough luck on the breakers. Was this the tournament you were brewing up something or was that going to be Lori's? Also 22% Dredge... again.

thoren_
06-21-2011, 12:15 AM
What was the top 8 breakdown?

Koby
06-21-2011, 12:38 AM
Awesome, nice work Ben, tough luck on the breakers. Was this the tournament you were brewing up something or was that going to be Lori's? Also 22% Dredge... again.

Probably same 5 Dredge guys from last time. LOL

everythingitouchdies
06-21-2011, 04:41 AM

Yeah I brought the deck out to play, but it was not as completely out of the blue as it would have been when we last talked because Patrick Chapin wrote an article about it. Still, I played it and its awesome and there is a good chance I will play it on lori's sunday, or if not a definite probability that I will play it in the future. It was awesome.

Since the Cut was only to top 4 I only know those decks... Shai was playing Junk and I think his opponent was too, Jack was playing U/W control and made it in as 3-2 because no one could draw in and Todd lost with mono white in the last round, the top seed had to play and go 5-0 instead of drawing, and such. It created a weird dynamic by being top 4 and not top 8 and created quite the gap. I was the lowest breakers of the 3-2s in 8th place.

I definitely enjoyed the tournament, saw a lot of healthy legacy (even if it was a lot of dredge) and played some pretty awesome games.

2Rach
06-21-2011, 02:29 PM
Hmm, I thought Jack was 4-1.

Ben, we were running BW, not Junk. What were you running btw?

Yeah, tons of Dredge, the new viable "budget" deck.

EDIT:
I was going to submit my decks to The Council, and was wondering what I should put as the tournament names(Mox and Duel for Duals). "MTGDeals.com Mox Emerald tournament" and "MTGDeals.com Duel for Duals tournament"? Any suggestions?

everythingitouchdies
06-21-2011, 08:12 PM
My mistake. BW seems better, but since I didnt play you and tony said you were on junk and you said it was a mirror I just assumed. I was running 4 horsemen. Still tweaking the mana base and the sideboard but I love the deck.

And dredge is quickly becoming a non budget deck as it becomes more popular.

saspook
06-21-2011, 08:29 PM
And dredge is quickly becoming a non budget deck as it becomes more popular.

When I dredge, I like the pain free Underground Sea manabase, as well as LED's for explosiveness game one.

I hate having my discard outlets counters, so I sideboard out the LED's for 4 Force of Wills.

I also run a tabernacle in the sideboard as well as a moat so that I can have woodfall primus targets if my opponent doesn't present anything reasonable.

everythingitouchdies
06-22-2011, 05:26 AM
When I dredge, I like the pain free Underground Sea manabase, as well as LED's for explosiveness game one.

I hate having my discard outlets counters, so I sideboard out the LED's for 4 Force of Wills.

I also run a tabernacle in the sideboard as well as a moat so that I can have woodfall primus targets if my opponent doesn't present anything reasonable.

Thank you for bringing some pride to legacy. Afterall, what kind of dredge deck doesnt want beta underground seas?

2Rach
06-22-2011, 12:11 PM
What is Four Horsemen in normal MTG player terms? What's its gameplan? What's in the deck?

lorddotm
06-22-2011, 12:16 PM
What is Four Horsemen in normal MTG player terms? What's its gameplan? What's in the deck?

Mesmeric Orb.

everythingitouchdies
06-22-2011, 03:24 PM

It works like cephalid breakfast does, just without the creature element.

blackdeck
06-23-2011, 06:30 PM
Anyone know the reanimator/DD/Hexmage list? Sounds fun.

keys
06-23-2011, 06:43 PM
Anyone know the reanimator/DD/Hexmage list? Sounds fun.

It's just like it sounds but with Beseech the Queen as the tutor engine. I could probably guess...

4 Hexmage
1 Putrid Imp
1 Iona
1 Inkwell
1 Jin Gitaxis
1 Blazing Archon
1 Terastodon
4 Dark Ritual
4 Entomb
4 Reanimate
4 Exhume
4 Beseech the Queen
4 Thoughtseize
4 Duress
4 Dark Depths
4 Urborg
14 Swamp

Koby
06-23-2011, 06:44 PM
My Karakas would love to play against this deck.

keys
06-23-2011, 06:58 PM
My Karakas would love to play against this deck.

I played against it at that SD tourney. It straight up lost to Ensnaring Bridge. I don't think it was running the Don, now that I think about it... seems like a mistake.

blackdeck
06-23-2011, 07:37 PM
Mono black. Interesting. I was thinking blue/black.

everythingitouchdies
06-24-2011, 01:43 PM
I played against it at that SD tourney. It straight up lost to Ensnaring Bridge. I don't think it was running the Don, now that I think about it... seems like a mistake.

I think it was. I actually think its how I lost game two.

Savvy
06-24-2011, 02:59 PM
The don is in the sideboard, I didn't use it in any of the games in LA though. And you're correct, he wasn't in my SB at the SD tourney...he was sorely missed.

NathanS2k
06-25-2011, 06:24 AM
It's just like it sounds but with Beseech the Queen as the tutor engine. I could probably guess...

4 Hexmage
1 Putrid Imp
1 Iona
1 Inkwell
1 Jin Gitaxis
1 Blazing Archon
1 Terastodon
4 Dark Ritual
4 Entomb
4 Reanimate
4 Exhume
4 Beseech the Queen
4 Thoughtseize
4 Duress
4 Dark Depths
4 Urborg
14 Swamp

He also plays a few Spoils of the Vault.

PanderAlexander
06-25-2011, 06:28 AM
Found out Charles will be hosting a legacy win-a-box tournament every week on Friday night that'll be DCI sanctioned, basically Legacy FNM. I don't know all the details, I believe it starts at 7pm? Charles' contact info is in the OP.

Tru3z3rox
06-27-2011, 12:41 PM
Are they having an event this coming up Sunday?

PanderAlexander
06-28-2011, 04:53 AM
Are they having an event this coming up Sunday?

Yup:

http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/showthread.php?21317-Southern-California-Legacy-Tournament