PDA

View Full Version : EDH 1v1 Tournament, The Only Game in Town - Somerville, NJ 6/18/11

Jim Higginbottom
06-14-2011, 05:30 PM
Place: The Only Game In Town, 211 West Main Street, Somerville, New Jersey, 08876

Date: June 18th 2011

Time: 1 PM registrations will begin at 12 pm

The primary tournament will be structured as such:
It will be a 1v1 Edh Tournament played 2/3 with 60 minute rounds
Entry will be 10 Dollars

The main 1v1 Tournament allows up to 10 proxies to be purchased at 1 dollar each. (e.g. if you have 6 proxies your total cost will be 16$, 6$ for the proxies 10$ for the tournament entry.)

The only minimum is that 8 people show up for the full prize allotment. However, you should bring all your friends or I’ll be poor

The prizes will be:
1st Place: italian Mana Drain
2nd Place: 1st and last pick of a new Wizards of the Coast Commander deck
3-4 Place: Will receive a Wizards of the Coast Commander deck each

A door prize Commander deck will be given out once top 4 is determined.

The rules will be the standard EDH rules which you can find at mtgcommander.net

The only change in rules will be that the first player will not draw a card. There is also an extended banned list which you can see below.

The revenue from this event will go towards the Mike Soletto College fund. This fund will assist a store local in paying for his graduate school fees this up coming fall semester. If for whatever reason you’d like to bring a donation he would be more than willing to accept.

In addition to the normal event. There will be 4 man “gun slinging” pods. These pods will be run throughout the day at a 5 dollar buy in. The pod will receive 6 packs to distribute as they see fit. The rules for this are a bit more loose to encourage players to have more fun. The proxy limit can be determined by the group, but I encourage them to accept at least the minimum of ten. There will be no additional charge for these proxies.

The banned list is as follows:

* Ancestral Recall
* Balance
* Biorhythm
* Black Lotus
* Coalition Victory
* Channel
* Emrakul, the Aeons Torn *NEW*
* Fastbond
* Gifts Ungiven
* Kokusho, the Evening Star
* Karakas
* Library of Alexandria
* Limited Resources
* Lion’s Eye Diamond
* Metalworker
* Mox Sapphire, Ruby, Pearl, Emerald and Jet
* Painter’s Servant
* Panoptic Mirror
* Protean Hulk
* Recurring Nightmare
* Staff of Domination
* Sway of the Stars
* Time Vault
* Time Walk
* Tinker
* Tolarian Academy
* Upheaval
* Worldgorger Dragon *Unbanned*
* Yawgmoth’s Bargain

Banned as a General
Rofellos, Llanowar Emissary
Braids, Cabal Minion

The following cards are banned for the 1v1 tournament but are legal for 4 man pods.

As a General: Vendilion Clique

Sol Ring
Mana Crypt
Mind Slaver
Sundering Titan

Thanks if you have any questions feel free to post them and I will get back to you as soon as possible.

I hope in the future we can host larger events in the future and I recognize that the prize for this event isn't huge but if you're local it should be a great way to spend a Saturday. See you then!

Tammit67
06-14-2011, 06:14 PM
Oh god dammit. Why you do this to me Jim...

Jim Higginbottom
06-14-2011, 06:18 PM
It's my friend mike's tournament, it's going to be sweet.

bfeingersh
06-14-2011, 06:21 PM
Worldgorger Dragon got unbanned today, FYI.

Jim Higginbottom
06-14-2011, 08:33 PM
On which ban list? I still see it on the mtgcommander.net list and the list being used for this event is a modified mtgcommander.net list.

bfeingersh
06-15-2011, 02:58 PM
The official list, I suppose. It was brought off by the RC in this quarterly ban/unban notice... I guess they just haven't updated the web site.

Posted by Sheldon Menery here: http://mtgcommander.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9564&sid=276c5bc64195263b2d859e983ed70d20

Narglfrob
06-15-2011, 04:39 PM
As a big fan of 1v1 EDH who does not live in the area, I am envious of this tournament. I hope the event is a success!

I will give a word of warning as someone who has experience with 1v1 EDH tournaments. The following cards are currently unbanned and stand out to me as ones that might cause issues with power level:

Necropotence
Mind Twist
Hermit Druid

In addition to a few other lesser offenders.

Also, the tournament organizer should be forewarned that 5 colour creaturesless storm featuring:

Oath of Druids
Tier 1 tutors
Draw 7s
Yawgmoths Will
Mind's Desire
Tendrils of Agony

Is a top tier deck, which may or may not be against the intent of the tournament organizer.

For information regarding two independently maintained banlists geared for 1v1 EDH (termed the "French Banlist" and the "MTG Salvation 1v1 Banlist") and a very lengthly thread discussing the merits of each, please refer to this post on MTG Salvation:
http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/showthread.php?t=233155

Tammit67
06-15-2011, 05:55 PM
Also, the tournament organizer should be forewarned that 5 colour creaturesless storm featuring:

Oath of Druids
Tier 1 tutors
Draw 7s
Yawgmoths Will
Mind's Desire
Tendrils of Agony

Is a top tier deck, which may or may not be against the intent of the tournament organizer.

Kill joy :(

Jim Higginbottom
06-16-2011, 08:38 AM
I spoke with the TO, yes worldgorger dragon will be unbanned. Here's also aware of the french ban list and the salvation 1v1 list. If combo decks are a problem at this event than a different list will most likely be used in the future but this is the banned list for this event.

Narglfrob
06-16-2011, 12:27 PM
Well best of luck to all the competitors. Please post the results of the tournament somewhere online, I love reading EDH tournament reports.

Tammit67
06-16-2011, 05:57 PM
Wish I could make it. Willing to go to others if they happen