PDA

View Full Version : [Metro Detroit, MI] 15-Proxy Legacy Tournament with Cash Prize Pool!

a-slice-of-cake
06-18-2011, 11:45 PM
Where:
The Card Castle
3153 Fort St.
Wyandotte, MI 48192
(734)284-7334

When:
Sunday, June 26 at 3:00 PM

What:
15-proxy Legacy Constructed

Entry:
$10

Prize:
$100 Prize Pool guaranteed -- will increase based on turnout!

Downriver has lacked a venue for competitive Magic for quite a while, but the Card Castle has come to fill that void! In addition to normal Friday night drafts, all players are invited to attend the first Card Castle Legacy event on Sunday, June 26. The tournament format will be a number of Swiss rounds based on attendance with a cut to the top 4 (15 or less) or the top 8 (16 or more) players. Though the tournament will allow proxies and therefore will not be sanctioned, a level 1 judge with significant Legacy experience will be available for players throughout the tournament.

Why proxies? Though Legacy is a wonderful format and its growth should be encouraged, it is easy to recognize that the price tag accompanying many decks could turn new and/or unsure players away. This offers players a chance to build their favorite decks without taking too much of a hit in their wallet, giving them a chance to "try before they buy". After this fun, stimulating event, we're sure people will consider it worth the investment!

Please be sure to show your proxies to the Head Judge before the event begins if you have any questions. Proxies should include card name; types and subtypes, if any; Oracle rules text; power and toughness, if applicable; and mana cost. Printing proxies and pasting/taping them to a card are allowed only if there is no noticeable difference to the eye nor the touch in a randomized deck. The Head Judge's decision on the legality of a proxy will be final.

The Card Castle is located just past Eureka Rd. on the northbound side of Fort St. This event will also influence whether a weekly Legacy event will begin, so if you're interested, please stop by!

Namida
06-19-2011, 01:13 AM
The only other place remotely in the area for Legacy is in Ann Arbor and just as far away from where I live, so I'll try to attend.

everythingitouchdies
06-19-2011, 03:07 AM
Props to michigan for doing something legacy oriented. Too far west now but I look forward to seeing results.

Neuad
06-19-2011, 07:33 PM
15 proxy seems kinda high, but some of us are thinking of coming from the Ann Arbor area to check it out.

a-slice-of-cake
06-19-2011, 10:55 PM
15 proxy is rather high, but we're looking to encourage Standard players who have interest in the format to turn out as well. This way, they aren't forced to convert their standard deck into something unless they want to, and I think having diversity as well as letting players use the decks they want is desirable.

And yeah, we'd love to see you guys from Ann Arbor out here. Maybe if we get enough interest we can make Legacy a sanctioned, weekly thing! (That's definitely our goal)

Wow, not even 24 hours and this many replies! As well as the local interest, I think we might be getting a much larger attendance -- and prize pool -- than expected.

Oh, one last thing -- we will use decklists for the event, so if you already have a printable version of yours feel free to bring it! We plan on publishing the top 4/8 lists as well!

jjflipped
06-20-2011, 09:31 PM
If i have nothing to do that day ill drive down to battle.

jakolhops
06-20-2011, 09:51 PM
i will be there if my outdoor plans fail

a-slice-of-cake
06-22-2011, 12:34 PM
I can't wait to see all of you there on Sunday!

For parking: there's limited parking on Fort St. itself, but the Walgreen's about 100 feet before us has a large parking lot.

a-slice-of-cake
06-25-2011, 06:40 PM
It's happening tomorrow! I hope we get a great turnout!