PDA

View Full Version : [EDH] Akroma, Angel of Fury

Nihil Credo
07-18-2011, 06:47 AM
Figured I'd try my hand at this thingy. First time I made a boring Sharuum deck, which worked but was boring, so I decided to make something less boring. Now trying to make a mono-red deck that avoids the stuff I dislike about mono-red decks, i.e. (1) having to live off the topdeck by turn five (2) terrible scaling with # opponents (3) being the white player's bitch (4) solving 1-2-3 by turning into a primarily brown deck (if I wanted to play 50% artifacts, I'd play blue and actually interact with them). I didn't mention (5) being a shitty coin flip / randomiser deck that's fun for everyone except you because piloting it is a job for a trained monkey because it was kinda obvious, except I just did.

Posting it here because of a rather straightforward issue: way too often, I've got some decently cool shit to do but re-casting Ms. Pro-Argentina and pumping her full of red mana like an East Berlin harlot in 1945 is just plain more effective. But that gets old fast. Is that an inherent flaw every time your general dares to be reliably good on its own or am I doing something wrong?

My next round of cuts is likely to be:
- Brand (I can already screw that kind of blue)
- Skarrgan Firebird (I'm always able to recur it, just never want to)
- Ignorant Bliss (funny as hell with Wheel/Wheel2/Jar/Chandra/DragonMage, but if I fire one of them mana is the scarce resource)
- Pyrohemia (just sucks, period)
- Riddle of Lightning (Scry good, not killing things bad)
- Disaster Radius (not enough fatties to be reliable. Although if I do get enough fatties it's going to be kickass again)

Throw in suggestions for the replacements, please. Swiftfoot Boots are in, new Chandra almost certainly not. Probably going to bite the bullet and play Duplicant too.

// GENERAL
Akroma, Angel of Fury

// MANA
28 Snow-Covered Mountain
1 Dwarven Ruins
1 Shinka, the Bloodsoaked Keep
1 Spinerock Knoll
1 Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle
1 Vesuva
1 Ancient Tomb
1 Crystal Vein
1 Kher Keep
1 Scrying Sheets

1 Mana Crypt
1 Sol Ring

1 Coldsteel Heart
1 Ruby Medallion
1 Soulbright Flamekin
1 Fellwar Stone
1 Iron Myr
1 Mind Stone
1 Braid of Fire

1 Coalition Relic
1 Sisters of the Flame

1 Solemn Simulacrum
1 Thran Dynamo
1 Gauntlet of Might
1 Gilded Lotus

1 Mana Geyser
1 Seething Song

// ANSWERS
1 Maze of Ith
1 Brand
1 Relic of Progenitus
1 Skred

1 Viashino Heretic
1 Magus of the Moon
1 Smash
1 Pyrohemia
1 Riddle of Lightning

1 Starstorm
1 Comet Storm
1 Disaster Radius

// DRAW
1 Ignorant Bliss
1 Crystal Ball
1 Imperial Recruiter
1 Wheel of Fate
1 Wheel of Fortune
1 Mind's Eye
1 Memory Jar

// THREATS + MANA
1 Koth of the Hammer
1 Rapacious One

// THREATS + DRAWS
1 Hoarding Dragon
1 Dragon Mage
1 Chandra Ablaze

// THREATS + ANSWERS
1 Steel Hellkite
1 Kazuul, Tyrant of the Cliffs
1 Flameblast Dragon
1 Rimescale Dragon
1 Scourge of Kher Ridges

1 Red Sun's Zenith
1 Rolling Earthquake
1 Titan's Revenge

// THREATS
1 Dragonmaster Outcast
1 Adamaro, First to Desire
1 Taurean Mauler
1 Skarrgan Firebird
1 Wurmcoil Engine

1 Lightning Greaves
1 Sword of Feast and Famine
1 Sword of Light and Shadow
1 Aggravated Assault
1 Gratuitous Violence
1 Rage Reflection
1 Batterskull

1 Insurrection

AlexAI
07-18-2011, 11:36 AM
Temporal Aperture might be interesting as another CA engine, even though it is random. Tower of Fortunes, maybe? Knollspine Dragon?
DRAGON TYRANT DRAGON TYRANT DRAGON TYRANT DRAGON TYRANT
Vedalken Orrery could be hilarious with Braid of Fire.
Smash could be Shattering Pulse, couldn't it?
Blood Moon and Sundering Titan are sweet. Vicious Shadows, too.
Shivan Hellkite could be another nice mana sink.
Now that I think about it, because of general damage Akroma kinda has virtual double strike already, making Dragon Tyrant seem 1% less awesome. Meh.
Hamletback Goliath and Furyborn Hellkite if you want some fat.

That's all I got for now.

Aggro_zombies
07-18-2011, 12:07 PM
No Urabrask the Hidden? Haste on your Akroma seems worthwhile.

Bignasty197
07-18-2011, 03:12 PM
I also have an Akroma deck that I use when people get annoyed with my Uril and Vorosh decks.

A few things I play:
Gauntlet of Power- massive amount of mana
Caged Sun- massive amount of mana
Banefire- my favorite mana sink
Molten Disaster- sweeper/ mana sink
Shattering Spree- much better than Smash

I'm at work at the moment, or I would post my list for reference.

Nihil Credo
07-20-2011, 08:21 PM
I used to have Urabrask then cut it, he often doesn't do much. I like Temporal Aperture, Kai's WC deck is a favourite of mine. Thought Sundering Titan was banned in EDH, apparently not, so that's an easy one for a monocolour list. Don't know how I forgot about Molten Disaster, the card is awesome. Gauntlet is going to replace Gilded Lotus, not sure about Caged Sun.

Thanks everyone for the ideas.

Tog
07-20-2011, 10:43 PM
I suggest adding Godo, Bandit Warlord because he is like one of the only card advantage cards available in red. When I used to run mono-red, I loved drawing Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle. You might want to add Expedition Map to get it out more consistently. Thawing Glaciers is also a card available to non-green decks to power out a constant flow of lands.

I suggest cutting vanilla big ground pounders like Adamaro, the First to Desire and Taurean Mauler because they never connect in EDH.

- Tog

Amon Amarth
07-22-2011, 05:24 PM
Godo definitely belongs in here. I'd also run Skullclamp with him. With Kher Keep, Rapacious One, and creatures that die all over the place it's a natural fit here.