PDA

View Full Version : Thawing Glacier, GOmnath

Guy I Don't Know
07-18-2011, 10:42 PM
I wanted to make a deck with pure mana ramp for fun. Nothing better to use than Omnath to beat face. Any suggestions for card choices are welcomed. Built for casual multiplayer.

There is a lot of cards to search out thawing glaciers
(Crop rotation, Primeval Titan) and abuse it (Amulet of Vigor, Deserted Temple). Thawing glacier is one of my favorite cards! I love it. Here is the deck:

OMNATH, LOCUS OF MANA

Creatures

Terrastodon
Avenger of Zendikar
Scavenging Ooze
Eternal Witness
Primeval Titan
Kamahl, Fist of Krosa
Rofellos, Llanowar Emissary
Vorinclex, Voice of Hunger
Yavimaya Elder
Oracle of Mul Daya
Patron of the Orochi
Seedborn Muse
Panglacial Wurm
Hornet Queen

Artifacts

Memory Jar
Sensei's Divining Top
Predator, Flagship
Mind's Eye
Whispersilk Cloak
Expedition Map
Caged Sun
Doubling Cube
Crucible of Worlds
Extraplanar Lens
Sol Ring
Gauntlet of Power
Vedalken Orrery

Enchantments
Sylvan Library
Awakening
Burgeoning
Exploration
Mana Reflection
Khalni Heart Expedition
Heartbeat of Spring
Vernal Bloom
Mirri's Guile

Sorceries
Cultivate
Explosive Vegetation
Far Wanderings
Kodama's Reach
Tooth and Nail
Nature's Lore
New Frontiers
Collective Voyage
Search for Tomorrow
Skyshroud Claim
Three Visits
Reap and Sow
Scapeshift
Sylvan Scrying
Harmonize
Praetor's Counsel
Into the North
Green Sun's Zenith
Genesis Wave

Instants
Realms Uncharted
Crop Rotation
Momentous Fall
Chord of Calling

Planeswalkers
Garruk, Primal Hunter

Lands
25 Snow-covered Forest
Deserted Temple
Dust Bowl
Maze of Ith
Miren, The Moaning Well
Misty Rainforest
Mystifying Maze
Scrying Sheets
Thawing Glacier
Verdant Catacombs
Vesuva
Windswept Heath
Wooded Foothills
Winding Canyons
Dark Depths
Petrified Field

P.S. I could put in removal but what to cut? It may dilute the awesomeness of having a focused deck. Also, i I would add links to cards but don't know how.[EDIT:Thank you I know how now.]

Tog
07-19-2011, 12:16 PM
The deck looks like a lot of awesome! I bet you get a lot of lands in to play over the course of the game. Looked over the deck briefly, but Momentous Fall is really good when you have a really big Omnath that about to die. You'll need a Reliquary Tower simply to hold all the cards. Not sure what good options you might have but you might want to look in to instant mana sinks in case Omnath dies because it would be a real shame to waste all that green mana (Squall Line?).

You could also add cards like Vedalken Orrery or Winding Canyons so you could recast Omnath the turn it dies. This way, you could still save the rest of your green mana.

You add tags to your cards by putting (cards) <Block of cards you want tags> (/cards). Be sure to replace the ( ) with these brackets [ ].

jjjoness'
07-19-2011, 12:20 PM
Actually Momentous Fall reads: 2GG, Instant, You lose the game. Omnath lists tend to ramp to absurd amounts of mana, and I mean really really absurd. Drawing 100+++ cards doesn't sound too awesome does it^^

Flan R-E
07-19-2011, 12:32 PM
the trick is to spend that extra seventy mana, THEN draw 30 cards

Guy I Don't Know
07-19-2011, 07:35 PM
Wow, I really like the flash concept! Momentous fall seems really good. If I have it in hand and I have Omnath in play, I will make sure not to make him too big.

I made some changes to the deck based on suggestions.

+1 Into the North
+1 Rofellos, Llanowar Emissary
+1 Vedalken Orrery
+1 Momentous Fall
+1 Winding Canyons
+1 Reliquary Tower

-1 Veteran Explorer
-1 Seedguide Ash
-1 Journeyer's Kite
-1 Tooth and Nail
-2 Snow-covered Forest

Here are some possible inclusions of cards I am thinking about. If you have suggestions please help decide what to take out too.

Defense of the Heart
Tooth and Nail
Natural Order
Green Sun's Zenith

I would most likely search for primeval titan and Vorinclex. While they are good, they are off theme, and not optimized.

Vernal Equinox
Aluren

They allow me to replay Omnath and keep mana. They may be better than Swiftfoot Boots and Lightning Greaves. I was thinking that they were awesome until i remembered Oblivion Stone, Nevinryaal's Disk, etc. kill Omnath and these so you can't replay Omnath.

Nevinyrral's Disk
Oblivion Stone
All is Dust
Forcefield

Help you not die but don't fit the theme...

Woodland Guidance
Mark of Sakiko
Rampant Growth
Bear Umbra
Sword of Feast and Famine

These are on theme cards rely on creatures or don't know what to cut for.

Asceticism
Whispersilk Cloak

Help protect Omnath, are they needed or better than Greaves/Swiftboots?

Kozilek, Butcher of Truth
Tower of Fortunes
Greater Good

Draw cards, beat face, what's not to like. Drawing cards is great but big dudes other than Omnath is not, so unsure. This is a great bribery target, and there are not many others.

Veteran Explorer
Seedguide Ash
Journeyer's Kite

These are great, but are slow to provide benefit.

Dark Depths

Searchable with Into the North and is a mana sink for Omnath.

mrjumbo03
07-20-2011, 12:16 AM
What about Rites of Flourishing?

Tog
07-21-2011, 12:57 AM
Glad you liked my suggestions! Here are my thoughts on your possible inclusions:

Defense of the Heart - I am not a big fan of this card. Players who are smart will never allow this card to trigger.
Natural Order - I don't think you have enough creatures to sacrifice in your deck.
Tooth and Nail - Staple.
Green Sun Zenith - I love this card since it's so flexible. It's useful early (Rofellos) or late (Primeval).

Cards you might have forgotten to get Primeval and Vorinclex more often:
Summoner's Pact - Tutor and play Primeval on the same turn!
Fierce Empath - One of my pet cards that not everyone seems to know about. Early game can tutor up Krosan Tusker

I am not a fan of the symmetry of Aluren and Vernal Equinox especially since you can't abuse them to their maximum potential.

Of the cards you listed, I think Whispersilk Cloak definitely deserves a spot. It really sucks when Omnath is really big but just can't connect. I also think Dark Depth is a stroke of genius. A 20/20 Flying indestructible is a real win condition and you'll win the respect of your table working to get it the hard way. You shouldn't give up on your Seedguide Ash just yet. When it dies, it's essentially a permanent Guilded Lotus. While it's a live, it's a Moat.

Hope this helps,
- Tog

Guy I Don't Know
07-21-2011, 10:21 PM
I will add Tooth and Nail and Green Sun's Zenith back in. I think Dark Depths and Whispersilk Cloak are good too. I am thinking of taking out Burgeoning, Exploration, Azusa, Gaea's Touch, Lightning Greaves, and Swiftfoot boots. I can put in some threats like hornet queen and avenger of zendikar as well as tooth and nail and GSZ.

A few cards I am considering are Night Soil, Scavenging Ooze, Riftsweeper, and Jester's Cap. Most decks I play against have Time Stretch, Necropotence, or rely on their general. I think Scavenging Ooze will make it because he can be big and deals with graveyards. the others may be too unfun to include. I am going to add Garruk, Primal Hunter too I think, draws cards and makes blockers!

The main thing I am wondering is if the extra land drops are good enough. I won't be drawing 2+ cards a turn so without thawing glacier they are meh and with they are decent. Rite of Flourishing seems good, if it wasn't for that group hug ability...

wolfstorm
07-21-2011, 10:55 PM
The green hideaway land is pretty sick with Omnath :)

Hunding Gjornersen
07-22-2011, 09:56 AM
Since you don't seem to mind symmetry in your doubling effects, consider Keeper of Progenitus. Also, are the fetch-lands just in there for Top? They seem to limit the number of Forests you can pull from your deck with Thawing Glaciers and you already run plenty of other shuffle effects.

Guy I Don't Know
07-22-2011, 09:13 PM
-1 Solemn Simulacrum
-1 Swiftfoot Boots
-1 Lightning Greaves

Both equipments are good to protect Omnath but I think there are better ways to protect Omnath that also help him get through. Solemn isn't the best land search available and I think is one of the weaker cards in the deck.

+1 Kamahl, Fist of Krosa
+1 Whispersilk Cloak
+1 Predator, Flagship

Kamahl can give Omnath trample and prevent people from using mass removal by threatening to destroy all their lands. Whispersilk Cloak makes Omnath unblockable as well as protecting him. While Predator Flagship doesn't protect Omnath, it allows him to fly over as well as being able to destroy creatures.

-1 Horn of Greed
-1 Amulet of Vigor
-1 Gaea's Touch
-1 Life from the Loam
-1 Azusa, Lost but Seeking

This isn't a dedicated Turboland deck with howling mine effects so these cards where less useful than expected. I cut Gaea's Touch and Azusa because I think Exploration and Burgeoning are better because they come down early. Life from the Loam, Amulet of Vigor and Horn of Greed didn't win games outright.

+1 Tooth and Nail
+1 Green Sun's Zenith
+1 Avenger of Zendikar
+1 Hornet Queen
+1 Scavenging Ooze

Having a creature package is nice, gives back up plan to omnath as well as allowing for graveyard removal. I haven't played Avenger of Zendikar, Hornet Queen, or Scavenging Ooze and I am excited to play them!

-1 Scroll Rack
-1 Magus of the Candelabra
-1 Reliquary Tower

These seem subpar/unnecessary. I don't see these having a big impact on game. Reliquary Tower is good but only a few cards will give me more than 7 in hand, and I will usually have lots of mana to play the cards at that point.

+1 Eternal Witness
+1 Garruk, Primal Hunter
+1 Genesis Wave

Adding some card advantage seems like a good idea :)

-3 Snow-Covered Forest

I think 42 lands is too much so I am going down to 40 lands.

+1 Dark Depths
+1 Chord of Calling
+1 Petrified Field

Chord of Calling and Dark Depths are mana sinks for Omnath. Petrified Field can be tutored to get back a key land. Seems better than Life from the Loam with the amount of land search.

Guy I Don't Know
07-22-2011, 09:38 PM
The Hideaway land does look good!. It may be a little overkill so I think I will see if I have enough Forests, or if I can spare to cut another one. If I can, I will add it in. Keeper of Progenitus looks good. What to cut, hmmm... that's the hard part.

The fetchlands are for Mirri's Guile, Top, Sylvan Library, Crucible of Worlds, and Oracle of Mul daya. I think they are good. If I take out Crucible I could see making them Snow-covered Forests.