PDA

View Full Version : [Deck] Hulk Smash

GGoober
08-13-2011, 11:47 AM
First post on the Modern section!

*crickets

Since there's no MM/FoW/Misstep/Hymn nonsense in this format. This is a fun deck that I feel is fairly competitive and be interested to pilot. It plays almost like NORUG!! except that the slots dedicated to the combo is a little more (13 cards v.s. 5 cards for NOgenitus)

Land: 21 (could potentially cut more fetches/shocks for City of Brass but with 8 cantrips, fetches seem better)

4 Arid Mesa
4 Misty Rainforest
4 Scalding Tarn
3 Breeding Pool
1 Stomping Ground
3 Steam Vents
1 Dryad Arbor
1 Island

Combo: 12
2 Protean Hulk
1 Viscera Seer
1 Bile Urchin
1 Body Double
2 Reveillark
1 Fauna Shaman
4 Through the Breach

Accelerants: 8
4 Birds of Paradise
4 Seething Song

Others: 3
3 Tarmogoyf (can be flex slots but it's nice to have a backup GSZ slot here on the defense/offense while you are assembling the combo)

Dig/Tutor: 16
4 Summoner's Pact
4 GSZ
4 Ponder
4 Preordain

Board
1 Trygon Predator
1 Vexing Shusher
2 Krosan Grip
4 Firespout
2 Shattering Spree
5 more cards (I dunno the meta/format :P)

The deck should be faster than 12post and fast enough against Zoo to not lose before the combo is assembled. Potential for turn 3 is alright. I think you can also go all in on Simian Spirit Guides + Rite of Flame + Seething songs but I don't prefer that route. Having the GSZ/Birds building up is better for my taste. Although the GSZ package can be removed for pure accelerants and more cantrips/digs (e.g. Peer Through Depths)

Admiral_Arzar
08-13-2011, 11:59 AM
Manabase will want a basic forest and maybe a second Dryad Arbor (cut a couple of fetches). Also, Bile Urchin is strictly inferior to Mogg Fanatic or Death Cultist (pick one, Mogg kills Yixlid Jailer, otherwise no real difference). You may also want a Zenith-able sacrifice outlet (either Starved Rusalka or Scarland Thrinax).