PDA

View Full Version : [Deck] Hive Mind

PunkRocker1134
08-13-2011, 12:52 PM
From the last month of Legacy, everyone should be familiar with how Hivemind combo works. Just in case, heres the rundown. First accelerate a Hive Mind into play. From there play any/all of the pacts in your hand. Your opponent gets a copy, then dies during their upkeep.

Now that thats out of the way, heres a starting list:

The Combo:
2 Ethereal Usher
4 Hive Mind
4 Pact of Negation
4 Pact of the Titan
1 Slaughter Pact
1 Summoner's Pact

Draw:
4 Ponder
4 Preordain
2 Serum Visions

Protection/Disruption:
3 Remand
3 Repeal

Accel:
4 Rite of Flame
4 Seething Song

Lands:
7 Island
5 Mountain
4 Steam Vents
4 Scalding Tarn

SIDEBOARD
4 Chalice of the void
4 Firespout
1 Slaughter Pact
4 Spell Pierce
2 Shattering Spree

Its a lot like the old extended lists. The real difference being in the protection suit.

The sideboard, however, is fairly nonstandard. The Chalices are there for other combo decks, and in the (rare) situation where Angels Grace is played. I like pierces over Shusher to fight control. The rest of the board should be fairly self explanatory.

edit:
as some extra reading, here's the building on a budget article for the deck:
http://www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/boab/73

ivanpei
08-15-2011, 04:12 AM
Yes I believe this deck is playable in modern. We might have lost Show and Tell/ Grim monolith, but this deck has enormous sleeper potential. Here's my prelim list:

4 Ponder
4 Preordain
2 Ethereal Shusher
4 Hivemind
4 Pact of Negation
3 Pact of The Titan
2 Slaughter Pact
2 Summoner's Pact
4 Seething Song
4 Rite of Flame
4 Simian Spirit Guide
4 Pentad Prism

4 Scalding Tarn
2 Misty Rainforest
3 Steam Vents
5 Island
2 Mountain
3 Tolaria West

Basically you dig for either Shusher or Hivemind and just combo off asap. I believe this has potential. Tolaria west can be either a land, a combo component or a protection spell. It's excellent. Not sure to go straight UR or splash white for Silence and Idylic tutor.

I'm not sure if I should play Pentad prism because the car cam get blown up by pridemage etc while rituals are harder to disrupt. Also is blood moon a good MD card?

routlaw
08-15-2011, 04:58 AM
Yeah I think this deck can be the real deal. What you lose in sol lands/monolith and show and tell you gain by the fact that the cheap countermagic in this format is just not very good and you attack an aggro-filed format from Hive Mind's unusal angles.

Etheral Usher transmutes Hive Mind for 1UU,Tolaria West transmutes for a pact, and Gigadrowse can be used EOT to tap down enough blue lands to go off if you are playing against countermagic. The bonus of two color is, of course, that you can play Blood Moon out of the board and go T1/T2 dragon stompy on people for free wins. Have you seen the mana bases that this format has? Hilariously greedy, there's actually an excellent argument for Blood Moon maindeck.

Getting the numbers of all the different spell types (mana, business, dig, protection) right seems like the balancing act here. If anything, given the current expected metagame, being a bit softer on protection seems decent if you can gain speed in return.

4eak
08-15-2011, 06:54 PM
Hive Mind Threads Merged.

-4eak

IthilanorStPete
08-20-2011, 04:26 AM
I really like the look of Hive Mind - you've got a powerful, hard to disrupt combo, in a color pair that gives you a lot of defensive options.
On acceleration:
-Seething Song is probably needed
-Coalition Relic would be really great, being both permanent accel and powering out Hive Mind on its own on turn 4 (with a land).
On defeating aggro:
-There's Punishing Fires/Grove of the Burnwillows, Grim Lavamancer, Firespout, Vedalken Shackles, and Threads all available, just to start with. The first two seem potentially sketchy against Zoo due to the lack of two toughness guys that I'm seeing.
On defeating control:
-There's playing more Pacts of Negation, naturally; Blood Moon is also very available.

I could also see a Grixis/UB shell, with Bob (though he's a mite risky with a 6 CMC spell as the centerpiece of the deck), making Slaugher Pacts more effective, and access to other removal and hand disruption. It would restrict the only available accel to Coalition Relic/Signets, etc., though, unless there's something else I'm missing.

EDIT2: There're Lotus Bloom and Pentad Prism as one-shot effects, but in a more control-focused build those seem shaky.

mishrazz
09-07-2011, 07:11 AM
I'm putting together a Hive Mind deck, and think that with all that red mana. song, spiritguide, rite of flame. There could be a open slot for Form of the dragon. 5 damage every round targeted at your choice with built in moat that stops kiki-jiki copies all day long. Im gonna play 1 MD and 1 in the SB, and see how that works. Firespout is also important SB card. We need protection against aggro creatures. As for mana artifacts, well.. Both Pentad prism and Coalition relic seem strong. any other contestants for the slot? If considering playing a 3rd color, im thinking 1 watery grave to pay for Slaugther pact, and be able to run engineered explosives for 3.
But running many basics and Blood moon could be awsome in this deck.

thoughts?

Phoenix Ignition
09-07-2011, 12:36 PM
I'm putting together a Hive Mind deck, and think that with all that red mana. song, spiritguide, rite of flame. There could be a open slot for Form of the dragon. 5 damage every round targeted at your choice with built in moat that stops kiki-jiki copies all day long. Im gonna play 1 MD and 1 in the SB, and see how that works. Firespout is also important SB card. We need protection against aggro creatures. As for mana artifacts, well.. Both Pentad prism and Coalition relic seem strong. any other contestants for the slot? If considering playing a 3rd color, im thinking 1 watery grave to pay for Slaugther pact, and be able to run engineered explosives for 3.
But running many basics and Blood moon could be awsome in this deck.

thoughts?

Form doesn't stop Pestermite copies, which is 1/2 of what kiki jiki makes. Coalition Relic seems slow, you don't want to have to wait until your 4th turn to use it, and you don't want to waste a ramp spell to cast it.