PDA

View Full Version : [Deck] Living End

rupus
08-13-2011, 02:25 PM
Living End is a deck from old extended based on cycling creatures into the graveyard and then casting a 3 mana cascade spell to cascade into the namesake spell for a one sided wrath and putting 10+ power of creatures onto the field. With many combo enablers banned (especially Hypergenesis which this deck directly competed with for players) this will likely become a combo deck (or at least the cascade deck) of choice for many players. Even in old extended when both Hypergenesis and Living End were legal the deck's proponents argued that it made up for being less explosive than Hypergenesis with consistency and resiliency. Without further ado, here is my current decklist and some explanations:

Land
2 Forest
2 Swamp
3 Mountain
2 Marsh Flats
4 Verdant Catacombs
2 Blood Crypt
2 Stomping Grounds
2 Overgrown Tomb

Creatures
4 Street Wraith
4 Deadshot Minotaur
4 Igneous Pouncer
4 Monstrous Carabid
3 Valley Ranneret
1 Jungle Weaver
4 Fulminator Mage
1 Spitebellows
2 Ingot Chewer
3 Shriekmaw

Instant
4 Violent Outburst

Sorcery
4 Living End
3 Demonic Dread

Sideboard
2 Spitebellows
1 Ingot Chewer
1 Shriekmaw
2 Cloudthresher
2 Mournwhelk
4 Mindbreak Trap
3 Sadistic Sacrament

Card Explanations
As you can see I went with a Jund colored manabase because the best cycling creatures happen to be Black, Green, and Red. However, it's entirely possible to try different color combinations. Bant colors in particular seem like a reasonable idea because it gives you access to Wargate, Reveillark, and Mulldrifter. However, I just based my list on the old extended ones and haven't done any testing with different colors because Jund has been working fine for me. Anyways onto the creatures:

Cyclers
4 Street Wraith
Mainly, this guy cycles for free with is pretty huge. The bodies on all the creatures are pretty weak for their CMC but remember that you are almost never hard casting them and your Living End will have wrathed their dudes away so you can usually swing unmolested. Cycling for free is huge like I said and I wouldn't play without 4 even if I eschew black in future builds.

4 Deadshot Minotaur
4 Monstrous Carabid
These guys are the second best cyclers costing only 1 mana. Deadshot Minotaur also has some added utility but generally you won't have any targets to hit. Still, without any fliers of your own he can stop problematic flyers that happened to be in their yard from beating you.

4 Igneous Pouncer
3 Valley Ranneret
These guys help to fix your mana and provide pretty large bodies to put the beats down. I chose to go with 4 Pouncers because haste can be pretty important plus the both die to bolt anyways. Still, if Zoo or Burn turn out to be largely popular and pack spells like burst lighting switching up the ratio might be the right call.

1 Jungle Weaver
This dude is just a miser because he doesn't fix mana and is more expensive to cycle than the others but he has a large body (and butt) and can stop fliers. It's entirely possible that we may want more of him instead of the land cyclers if fliers are largely popular or if burn spells become too problematic.

Utility Creatures
3 Shriekmaw
This guy plays a lot of roles. First he is the best creature removal available because we can't play anything <3 CMC. Second he is an evasive beater. I guess 2 isn't really a lot of roles but they are pretty important nonetheless.

2 Ingot Chewer
Playing him in the main might not be correct anymore without SFM, Jitte, etc in the meta but he deals with Ethersworn Canonist which is otherwise a big problem. Not to mention he is a body to beat with after you Living End him back.

1 Spitebellows
This guy kills big creatures. Simple as that. Shriekmaw is more easily castable which is why I chose him as my main removal but Spitebellows might turn out to be better if black/artifact creatures are the main threats.

4 Fulminator Mage
The only guy who doesn't evoke or cycle but he still plays an important role. Anyone who played extended knows what a house this guy is vs greedy manabases and with Living End you can potentially destroy 2 lands with each one. He also kills manlands which you can otherwise only hit by Violent Outbursting into Living End. I think people are going to be playing greedy 3, 4 or even 5 color decks so I feel good playing 4 in the main but he can easily become something else depending on how the meta shapes up.

Spells
These are pretty self explanatory. Some decks only play 3 or even 2 Ends but I like the full set because you have no way to shuffle back drawn ones and if a control can counter both you are pretty screwed. 7 cascade spells is the least I would play and playing all 8 could be a good choice as well.

Sideboard Choices
This board was made with combo decks in mind but given the new banned list many choices might not be right anymore. Still, I'll explain my choices because they are still all good cards.

4 Mindbreak Trap
3 Sadistic Sacrament
2 Mournwhelk
This is my anti combo package. Mournwhelk and Sad Sac are kind of slow and Trap is less than ideal but they are the best we can do seeing as we can't play <3 cmc spells. Of these three Mournwhelk has the most potential to be played even in a non combo meta as he can hose control pretty well too.

2 Cloud Thresher
This guy was mostly for Faeries but without Bitterblossom he may be unnecessary. People will still probably try to port the new Caw Blade decks to Modern so he might be ok to leave in.

2 Spitebellows, 1 Shriekmaw
Sometimes you just need to max out on creature removal. Spitebellows is especially important because you need a way to deal with artifact and black creatures.

1 Ingot Chewer
There are lots of nasty artifacts still.

Other potential side board cards: Choke, Kitchen Finks, Leyline of Sanctity/the Void/ Punishment/Vitality, Beast Within, Chaos Warp (if its legal)
Please give suggestions for board cards as I have trouble thinking of any. Here might be a better board given how WOTC killed combo:

2 Ingot Chewer
3 Spitebellows
1 Shriekmaw
4 Mournwhelk
4 Kitchen Finks
1 Cloudthresher

I just maxed out on removal. Mournwhelk for control. Finks for red and Zoo and a singleton thresher because I had one slot left.

Playing the deck:
Ideally you want to spend your first few turns cycling at least 3 dudes into your yard and getting to 3 mana. Vs Control decks it's usually right to cast your cascade spells as soon as you can even if you are only putting 3 or 4 threats onto the field because you want to bait as many counters as possible and just put pressure on them. Vs creature decks you want to wait as long as you can so you wrath as many creatures as possible. Games 2 and 3 you want to go off sooner because they won't over commit as much so you want to pressure them because 1 or 2 dudes and maybe some burn can finish you off.

To Suspend or Not to Suspend
This is a tough question. If you have both a cascade spell and an End you definitely don't want to because you will just end up wrathing your own dudes. However, if you have an End but no cascades it might be correct to suspend especially vs control so you have a chance at resolving it before you can set up. Remember that casting it off suspend is mandatory so never suspend multiples or suspend one when you already have a board presences (expect maybe if there's a strong potential that you will be wrathed). 9 times out of 10 however, you won't want to suspend them.

A Note on Shriekmaw
Never, ever evoke him without a target. This is because his ETB trigger is not optional. If you evoke him just thinking you will have an extra beater you will end up killing one of your guys when you go off. Actually, I lied. You can evoke him for an extra beater if all your other cyclers are your black ones but just keep in mind that killing your own guys kind of sucks. Also, if you kill one of their dudes with him, when you cascade you can kill their guy again leaving them even farther behind on board presence.

Matchups
I don't really know what the meta will look like but in general you have a good matchup vs creature decks, an even to slightly unfavorable vs control and an awful one vs combo. Seeing as WOTC is pushing this to be a turning guys sideways format this will initially be a good deck choice. Also, all the fast combo is gone so you probably have a decent chance to get off a Mournwhelk or even sad sac vs whatever combo does exist. As the meta develops I will try to update this section with more information.

So there you have it. This deck is a blast to play and very resilient. Feel free to post lists with other color variations because I'm going to focus my time developing the Jund colored list and don't really have the time or desire to work on multiple different lists concurrently. I hope that this has generated some interest in one of the few combo decks left (and my personal favorite) and that you put this deck together IRL or on MWS and give it a try.

Final Notes On My Current List
The manabase is really sketchy. Feel free to suggest better ones. 19 lands feels right though as you curve out at 3 and every card replaces itself. It's even possible that the mana could work with as few as 16 lands but I wouldn't want to risk anything lower than 18. Also more sideboard suggestions are very welcome. Right now there probably won't be much if any yard hate without dredge in the picture but as it is there's no way to beat Leyline of the Void without using crappy cards (at least as far as I can think of) so that is the main area I would like suggestions for (EDIT: Beast Within and/or Chaos Warp are good answers). Scavenging Ooze is also annoying but I have no idea if commander is legal.

Sturtzilla
08-16-2011, 01:08 AM
I need to preface this with how much I formerly despised Cascade. I used to think that the mechanic was for noob Jund players to just get value. But I can really get behind this list. I like the overall synergies. Cycling to make sure you hit land drops and dig to the cascade spells. Living End is just hilarious and in this format which will likely have lots of creatures, should be a great main deck tactic. I have a few concerns, which I will note below.

1. Where is Bloodbraid Elf? If I don't misunderstand the mechanic, cascade goes on the stack before the elf resolves. So you would cascade into either Living End or one of your 3-CMC cascaders. This would get you right into Living End anyway. The stack resolves in reverse. Living End wipes the board and then you would get your other spell or two. Leaving Bloodbraid on the table, as it hasn't resolved yet, right? If this is the case, elf seems like a strictly better card than Demonic Dread. She is an extra body, still get the job done from a cascade standpoint, and Dread won't really do anything as their creatures are all going to be dead/removed post-cascade anyway.

2. I think the mana base could use an extra land or two. I think I am going to play test my version at 20 to start with. This will be just to make sure I hit lands consistently. If this goes well, I could see cutting it back to say 18. Also on the mana base, it seems like black is very nearly a splash. I think the lands could reflect that a little more.

3. The card selection and variance of card numbers worries me. I think we probably want to be running like 3-4 of just about everything (with the exception of the evokers). I think it might be wise to see how the format shakes out to know which creatures are more valuable than the others.

That is all for now. I love the idea and will post a list and notes after I have tested a bit.

4eak
08-16-2011, 02:15 AM
Just compiled a generic list of the possibly relevant creatures and cascade effects, if anyone is interested.

Cascade:
Ardent Plea
Demonic Dread
Violent Outburst
Bloodbraid Elf

Cycling Creatures:
Yoked Plowbeast
Street Wraith
Architects of Will
Viscera Dragger
Deadshot Minotaur
Glassdust Hulk
Monstrous Carabid
Ridge Rannet
Igneous Pouncer
Jhessian Zombies
Pale Recluse
Sanctum Plowbeast
Twisted Abomination
Valley Rannet
Jungle Weaver

Transmute Creatures:
Drift of Phantasms (yuck)

Evoke Creatures:
Ingot Chewer
Offalsnout
AEthersnipe
Mulldrifter
Shriekmaw
Spitebellows
Wispmare
Cloudthresher
Mournwhelk

3cc Sac Creatures:
Brindle Boar
Fulminator Mage
Garza's Assassin
Goblin Flectomancer
Spiketail Drakeling
Wizard Replica

Other Creatures:
Faerie Macabre
Fleshbag Marauder (some weird circumstances for this one)

Quick Question: Shouldn't it be okay to goto 3 or maybe even 2 Living End? And, if not, why not? When facing Permission, I'd just side the rest in. I'd prefer not to be suspending the damn thing anyways (unless I have to). This would free up some space, I would think.

peace,
4eak

kicks_422
08-16-2011, 02:30 AM
Because with all the Cycling that you're doing, you could end up with all the Living Ends in your hand if you only run 2 of them. Running 4 makes sure you have at least 1 left in your library once you cascade after all the Cycling shenanigans.

4eak
08-16-2011, 03:16 AM
Even with cycling, it will be fairly uncommon to have all Living End's in your hand.

4 Living End -> Draw up to 51 cards before you will break 50% chance of having all Living End's in your hand.
3 Living End -> Draw up to 48 cards before you will break 50% chance of having all Living End's in your hand.
2 Living End -> Draw up to 43 cards before you will break 50% chance of having all Living End's in your hand.
1 Living End -> Draw up to 30 cards before you will break 50% chance of having all Living End's in your hand.

With proper mulligans these numbers look even better for my claim.

In any case, even if you got unlucky enough that you drew all Living End's, by that time, you can always suspend (in fact, if you've seen 20-25 cards in your deck, you probably should already have one suspended).

peace,
4eak

jjjoness'
08-16-2011, 05:14 AM
Point is Living End can always be countered and without any real protection you need a maximum number of combo enablers. I'd never run anything less than 4.

Maveric78f
08-16-2011, 05:49 AM
Vendillion Clique is good at protection and cycling a LE to the library. Generally, you can chumpblock with it in order to have it resurrect. I'm aware it's not in the current colors, but it might be a reason for not playing these colours.

I played a lot LE in legacy. This was my list:
// Lands (quite healthy 16-lands manabase)
2 [U] Underground Sea
1 [U] Scrubland
2 [ARE] Swamp (5)
4 [ON] Polluted Delta
3 [ON] Flooded Strand
1 [A] Tundra
2 [P2] Island (1)
1 [P2] Plains (3)

// Creatures (16 cyclers + 8 control elements)
4 [ARB] Glassdust Hulk
4 [ARB] Monstrous Carabid
4 [ARB] Architects of Will
4 [FUT] Street Wraith
4 [REL] Shriekmaw
3 [MOR] Vendilion Clique

// Spells (5 combo enabler + 12 control elements + 3 tutors)
4 [ARB] Ardent Plea
2 [TSP] Living End
4 [AL] Force of Will
4 [MM] Misdirection
4 [JGC] Vindicate
3 [TE] Intuition

Unfortunately, none of the non-creature control cards is modern legal. In particular, you have no more control elements. That's why I'm quite pessimistic of getting it work in modern (even if it worked once in Extended).

pcccp
08-17-2011, 04:15 AM
I build the deck on MtgO and tested it for a few days. I tried Timely Reinforcements. It buys you tons of time against aggro and burn.

08-17-2011, 04:22 PM
How about running a 5c mana base with 4 Gemstone Mine, 4 City of Brass and 2-4 Tendo Ice Bridge?

Sturtzilla
08-26-2011, 11:56 AM
Hey everyone! I have been play testing this deck a good bit and have come to a pretty dramatic issue. I guess I will just pose the question to everyone here. How do we fight against decks with counter magic? My initial thoughts, would be run more cascade spells or wait until they tap out, but I can't really come to another plan which would make it work. Our opponents only need four counter spells to stop this deck dead. Our secondary route or actually casting creatures is a terrible plan. Everything in this build is more or less over costed. So any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Anusien
08-26-2011, 01:29 PM
There aren't really decks with a lot of countermagic. In Extended the plan was to just get the first Living End countered and then find a second one very fast with cyclers. You also get to wreck their mana with Fulminator Mage.

KevinTrudeau
09-20-2011, 10:12 PM
Does plopping in a random on-color planeswalker (I'm thinking new Liliana, new Garruk, or the original Garruk) sound like a good idea? It seems like it could potentially give the deck more weapons against controlling strategies, of which there might be more of now that U/R combo decks have been powered down. Liliana in particular can whittle away at control's hand while at the same time binning creatures for you to LE back.

Beast Within also seems like it could be pretty beast, especially when you consider the token will cease to exist after a Living End.

Proto-list (manabase and cyclers ripped off of Travis Woo's GP T8 list):

2 Arid Mesa
1 Blood Crypt
2 Forest
3 Mountain
1 Overgrown Tomb
2 Scalding Tarn
1 Stomping Ground
3 Swamp
4 Verdant Catacombs

4 Deadshot Minotaur
4 Fulminator Mage
4 Jungle Weaver
4 Monstrous Carabid
4 Street Wraith
4 Valley Rannet
2 Shriekmaw

4 Demonic Dread
3 Living End
4 Violent Outburst

4 Beast Within

SB:
4 Kitchen Finks
2 Shriekmaw
2 Thought Hemorrhage
3 Ingot Chewer
3 Liliana of the Veil
1 Living End

Edit: List updated. Liliana wasn't really maindeck material, and I felt that the deck needed more Living Ends. Beast Within, however, was very good; excellent synergy with Demonic Dread. Bumping that up to four for the time being.

Edit 9/24: This deck appears to be Real Deal Holyfield, mostly because of Beast Within and Fulminator Mage. My updated list, cutting Shriekmaw in the main to make things more streamlined:

2 Arid Mesa
1 Blood Crypt
2 Forest
3 Mountain
1 Overgrown Tomb
2 Scalding Tarn
1 Stomping Ground
3 Swamp
4 Verdant Catacombs

4 Deadshot Minotaur
4 Monstrous Carabid
4 Street Wraith
4 Valley Rannet
4 Architects of Will
2 Igneous Pouncer

4 Fulminator Mage
4 Beast Within

4 Demonic Dread
4 Violent Outburst
3 Living End

SB:
4 Kitchen Finks
3 Ingot Chewer
3 Garruk Wildspeaker
3 Cranial Extraction
2 Shriekmaw

Notsure about Pouncer over Jungle Weaver, or running three Living Ends in the 75.

thebigblue
09-30-2011, 10:58 AM
this the list i am testing

2 Arid Mesa
1 Blood Crypt
1 Forest
2 Mountain
1 Overgrown Tomb
2 Scalding Tarn
1 Stomping Ground
2 Swamp
4 Verdant Catacombs
1 Temple Garden
1 Sacred Foundry
1 Steam Vents

4 Deadshot Minotaur
4 Monstrous Carabid
4 Street Wraith
2 Valley Rannet
4 Architects of Will

4 Shriekmaw
4 Fulminator Mage
4 Beast Within

4 Demonic Dread
4 Violent Outburst
3 Living End

SB:
4 Leyline of Sanctity (discard, cranial extract)
4 Ingot Chewer (chalice, ethersworn canonist)
3 Jund Charm (agro, mirror, graveyard decks ?
4 Ricochet Trap (counter spells and bounce)

1 think 5 basic lands is enough. You have not cards with a cost of 6 or more except 2 Valley Rannet.

Beast Within is very powerfull, i love it.

Against control deck, it is usefull to be able to play Architects of Will so i have added a steam vent.

to play Leyline of Sanctity, i add 1 Temple Garden and 1 Sacred Foundry we can search them with Valley Rannet.

the side is under construction, i dont know if we need Ricochet Trap, i come from legacy, so it is difficult to not have cards against counter spells.

4eak
10-19-2011, 01:35 PM
I'm not convinced these should be maindeck:

4 Fulminator Mage
4 Beast Within

Why not play cyclers in these spots? The combo becomes faster and more consistent when you do this, albeit, it becomes less able to interact (but does this deck really need those interactions game 1?). Please convince me.

peace,
4eak

fyrisen
10-19-2011, 02:09 PM
Fulminator Mage and Beast Within are the two most important cards in this deck. Especially now when different kind of control decks are on the rise.

Fulminator Mage simply ruins manabases like a beast. Play>sac>Cascade.

The same kind of goes for Beast Within. It is awesome with Living End. Rapes control, EoT destory a land, untap>upkeep>Cascade. The beast they get is nearly usless because of the fact that it's sacrificed almost instantly.

Dreg
10-31-2011, 03:52 PM
Good evening\morning everyone. Depending on the timezone.

I'm posting cause i'd like to point out some issues regarding a few cards that i'm testing in my LE configuration.

First of all, I heard no one talking about Forbidden Orchard as a rainbow, mana-fixing land. What's so special with this? The ability of giving tokens to our opponents which i found very valuable in some cases. It's not just "i destroy them after LE, so i don't care". Giving a token, a CREATURE token for free, allows us to enable one of our cascaders, affliced by the bane of needing a target: Demonic Dread. Decks that play almost or entirely no creatures end up screwing one of our combo enabler just for being the deck they are.
Another option could be Dryad Arbor, fetch-friendly and with the capability of enabling our Dread. But i just do not like the fact that it ends up in horrible ways post LE.

Talking 'bout some sideboard cards, one of the best-performing grave-hate cards i've seen around is Faerie Macabre. This little dead fae is unpredictable, instant-speed and provides a 2\2 body under LE, with a decent evasion ability. It doesn't even require mana to activate, and it's not affected by any form of countermagic. The only problem will be Trickbind, but i do not see it having a huge impact on the Modern metagame like its lil' brother has in Legacy. So, why searching for cards like Jund charm (mana-intensive like nothing else, considering that triple-specific Converted Cost) when you have the Fae, which is perfectly synergic with the gameplan?

And seeing someone mentioned Finks, I think Brindle Boar is more effective than Kitchen Finks as fighting back Storm-based (i am thinking of grapeshot in this moment) and Burn\MonoR decks. In primis (latin ftw) Finks gives 50% less life than the Boar. In addition, the trigger of the life gain cannot be "controlled". Boar, having an activated ability, can be sacced in whatever moment (even in response to LE) and reused again after LE. And Boar has a +1 of toughness after a End.

Just my 2 cents, thanks for reading.

Dsch
11-01-2011, 01:35 PM
Beast Within, for me, is a SB card, for the reasons that already were stated in here. I mean, there are a few cards on the modern pool I would fear in main decks nowadays (Ghostly Prison and Meddling Mage are the ones I can think of, but those are not everywhere).
However, Fulminator Mage is pretty good. It is obviously usefull against control decks, and against the Zoo ones too. It chump blocks and LD, giving you a turn sometimes. And then, return with Living End, giving you more advantage.
I also prefer Brindle Boar over Kitchen Finks in my Aggro/RDW slot, as already said.
Here is the list I enjoy:

// Lands
4 [SOM] Blackcleave Cliffs
2 [10E] Mountain (3)
2 [10E] Forest (4)
3 [10E] Swamp (4)
4 [CHK] Forbidden Orchard
4 [SOM] Copperline Gorge

// Creatures
1 [LRW] Ingot Chewer
4 [FUT] Street Wraith
4 [ARB] Valley Rannet
4 [ALA] Jungle Weaver
4 [ARB] Monstrous Carabid
4 [SHM] Fulminator Mage
4 [ARB] Architects of Will
4 [ARB] Deadshot Minotaur

// Spells
4 [TSP] Living End
4 [ARB] Demonic Dread
4 [ARB] Violent Outburst

// Sideboard
SB: 3 [LRW] Ingot Chewer
SB: 4 [TSP] Krosan Grip
SB: 3 [ROE] Perish the Thought
SB: 3 [M12] Brindle Boar
SB: 1 [NPH] Beast Within
SB: 1 [LRW] Shriekmaw

No life-losing lands + Valley Rannet, to be more resilient against agressive decks. Im pretty happy with that.
Perish the Thought is a very valuable SB that a dont see nobody talking about. What do you guys think of it?

Dreg
11-01-2011, 02:00 PM
Nightmare Void > Night Terrors > Perish the Thought.

First of all, Perish the Thought is highly outclassed by the new Innistrad card Night Terrors. There is chance that shuffling the card into the library might cause it to be redrawn again. If we remove the dangerous card from the game, we are sure that the chosen card won't ever come back. I still have to see people playing with cards like Pull From Eternity and such.

But the optimal discard card, always talking according to my personal opinion, is Nightmare Void. Ok, it costs :1: more than Perish or Terrors, but has some tasty upsides which we should consider. It is capable of hitting land cards, granting a denial engine in addition to Fulminators and Avalanche Riders. And most important of all, it dredges at two. This means the following: Nightmare Void is reusable. It does not fear countermagics like its lil' brothers, since it can be thrown in the opponent's face again and again, slowly draining resources and threats. Being reusable allows the card to deal with multiple problems, just like a double\triple\4th copy counter of a lucky opponent. The method of recursion is also worth mentioning. Dredge. Dredge means that cards from our library top will be thrown into our graveyard, and we all know how much is that game zone valuable for this deck. Milling creature cards to recur a disruption spell helps the combo twice: the first time eliminating threaths, the second time fueling the combo itself.

I hope my desperate ravings are all clear. Thanks for reading.

Dsch
11-01-2011, 02:04 PM
Damn, was not aware of the existence of Night Terrors hahahaha. I will be playing that instead of Perish the Tought, thanks!