PDA

View Full Version : [Deck] Jund

menace13
08-13-2011, 03:33 PM
Jund still gets to play all the good cards with the two best 2 drops in the format in Putrid Leech and Tarmogoyf, the dream of Blightning off a Bloodbraid Elf. Access to unconditional Removal without drawbacks in Terminate and Maelstrom Pulse. Burn spells Punishing Fires or Lightning Bolt for reach or recurring removal. Thoughtseize can compliment the Blightnings and give the deck a turn 1 play leading off the curve of powerful plays. My 3 drop of choice at the moment is Thrinax over Boggart Ram-Gang in order to leave the deck with more Card advantage over speed.

So far have had good results with this list and the deck can be altered for various match ups easily.

1Blood Crypt
1 Dragonskull Summit
2 Fire-Lit Thicket
2 Forest
1 Graven Cairns
4 Grove of the Burnwillows
1 Overgrown Tomb
4 Raging Ravine
4 Swamp
2 Twilight Mire
4 Verdant Catacombs

4 Bloodbraid Elf
4 Putrid Leech
4 Sprouting Thrinax
4 Tarmogoyf

4 Punishing Fire
2 Terminate

4 Blightning
4 Maelstrom Pulse
4 Thoughtseize

Some cards I did not include in my list are Demigod of Revenge and Bituminous Blast to keep the curve at 4. Dark Confidant can be employed to good effect. Goblin Ruinblaster is slower than Fulminator Mage but it gives advantage over the Mage as it sticks around after destroying a land.

Lavaclaw Reaches can be played although I prefer Ravine for the bigger punch. Kitchen Finks in the side is a good choice if you expect a lot of fast aggro. Mirror can be trumped withGrave Titan, Wurmcoil Engine,Obstinate Baloth or Slave of Bolas.

Vengevine and Fauna Shaman saw play in extended this year in Jund and certainly can be played in Modern to give the deck added resiliency.

Anathemancer,Grim Lavamancer, Shriekmaw, Thought Hemorrhage,Jund charm, Broodmate Dragon, Great sable Stag, Cloudtresher, Sygg, River Cutthroat are just some more options to mull over.

The deck has great ductility and can incorporate any of the cards listed to suit your needs.

morgan_coke
08-13-2011, 04:36 PM
Bob > Leech.

menace13
08-13-2011, 05:19 PM
Bob > Leech.

Leech is still the best 2 drop early almost always as Goyf rarely hits 4/5 turn 2-more like turn 4 after Blightning and removal. But i have not tested bob in the deck yet.

Aggro_zombies
08-13-2011, 05:32 PM
I'm also wondering if Bob wouldn't be better. I've had the following in mind for a bit now:

4 Grim Lavamancer
4 Dark Confidant
4 Tarmogoyf
3 Putrid Leech

4 Lightning Bolt
3 Punishing Fire
3 Terminate

4 Thoughtseize
2 Blightning

2 Green Sun's Zenith

2 Sword of Feast and Famine
1 Garruk, Primal Hunter

24 lands

A more controlling Jund seems like it has potential. You might want more green creatures to support GSZ but I have no idea of what they should be (aside from a Dryad Arbor in the lands somewhere).

EDIT: Maybe that one Kavu that gets counters when an opponent gains life? It seems like Grove + Fires will be important in this format.

EDIT 2: I wonder if you actually want to start Magus of the Moon/Blood Moon/Fulminator Mage. 12post seems like a problem for aggro decks.

menace13
08-13-2011, 11:47 PM
I'm also wondering if Bob wouldn't be better. I've had the following in mind for a bit now:

4 Grim Lavamancer
4 Dark Confidant
4 Tarmogoyf
3 Putrid Leech

4 Lightning Bolt
3 Punishing Fire
4 Terminate

4 Thoughtseize
3 Green Sun's Zenith

2 Sword of Feast and Famine
1 Garruk, Primal Hunter

24 lands

A more controlling Jund seems like it has potential. You might want more green creatures to support GSZ but I have no idea of what they should be (aside from a Dryad Arbor in the lands somewhere).

EDIT: Maybe that one Kavu that gets counters when an opponent gains life? It seems like Grove + Fires will be important in this format.

EDIT 2: I wonder if you actually want to start Magus of the Moon/Blood Moon/Fulminator Mage. 12post seems like a problem for aggro decks.
In my testing 12 posts is a brutal match up. I include Fulminator x4 in my side and Choke-if theyre on islands- another bad match up is Living Death, but that deck is so linear It can be hosed easily with Chalice and Leyline- I know they can pack Wispmare and Chewer-.

Rock can be 50/50 maybe in their favor if they win die roll-turn 2 KotR is a must answer-. WW with Vials Sword of feast famine and Mirran crusader is a ruff MU- no joke crusader beats the deck single handedly and dictates a sac spell for removal-.

The good thing about Jund is it crushes random decks people like to test out due to the disruption and efficiency of the threats, not to mention cascade is a bitch.

Aggro_zombies
08-14-2011, 12:16 AM
With Grim, Bolt, and Punishing Fires in my main I'm not that worried about Mirran Crusader.

I figure 12Post will be weak, so I'm wondering about having Magus in addition to Fulminator - it seems like most Post lists will be in blue and green and will therefore have a harder time killing a creature than killing an enchantment.

I'm not sure if I need cascade in the above list. I feel like Bob, Grim, Fires, Sword, and GSZ give me enough card advantage against most decks in game one. I don't know if Blightning is worth it in the main if you have no way to cascade into it, but since I have so few green creatures it might be better than GSZ.

Aggro_zombies
08-16-2011, 01:57 PM
Jund made top 8 of a Chicago Modern event: http://magic.tcgplayer.com/db/deck.asp?deck_id=896748

I like Anathemancer as tech. I do not agree with Harmonize, but I guess his curve is too high for Bob. It's also interesting that there's no 12Post anywhere in the top 16, but Tron made it in.