PDA

View Full Version : [Deck] MUD

(nameless one)
08-13-2011, 04:32 PM
I don't know why the name was changed from 'Metalworker' to MUD but I'll take it.

History:

MUD used to be an old archetype that utilizes lands that produce multiple but colorless mana or mana artifacts to power out artifacts in the form lock pieces or big robots. The archetype first started in Vintage where mana acceleration is easy to achieve in the form of Mishra's Workshop and Alpha Moxes/Black Lotus.

Though most of the tools such as Metalworker and Grim Monolith existed in the format already, MUD didn't start spawning in Legacy until the Scars of Mirrodin saw print. SoM provided tools to MUD that can be effective in that format when the lock pieces it used in Vintage wasn't. MUD first came into the scene in the hands of Michael Bomholt with his Meandeck MUD that featured classics such as Goblin Welder as well as the new tools such as Kuldotha Forgemaster

Modernized MUD:

While half of Legacy MUD's tool is legal in Modern, its acceleration aspect of the deck isn't. But instead of focusing on acceleration, Modern MUD (or as I would like to call it: Metalworker) would focus in 'cheating' its robots into play, whether it would by via Kuldotha Forgemaster, Master Transmuter or Scarecrone (with the help of Thirst for Knowledge). Acceleration is also present in the form of 12-post, Mox Opal and Grand Architect.

With that said, here's the current version I am playtesting as of late:

Lands:
8 Islands
4 Darksteel Citadel
4 Tectonic Edge
3 Buried Ruin
1 Academy Ruins

Additional Mana Acceleration:
2 Mox Opal
4 Simian Spirit Guide
4 Vedalken Engineer

Robot Makers:
4 Kuldotha Forgemaster
3 Master Transmuter
2 Scarecrone

Big Robots:
3 Wurmcoil Engine
2 Steel Hellkite
1 Duplicant
1 Myr Battlesphere
1 Sundering Titan

Other Robotic Tools:
3 Spellskite
3 Lightning Greaves
3 Chalice of the Void
1 Crucible of Worlds

Card Draw:
Thirst for Knowledge

Lands:
Since most of the colored components are blue, I have decided to run Islands. In doing so, I can also run Academy Ruins as a means to recur my robots. Buried Ruin is also there as additional means to recur destroyed robots. Tectonic Edge is there to get rid of your opponent's utility lands. Darksteel Citadel is used as an indestructible artifact, if an artifact is needed.

Acceleration:
Simian Spirt Guide is there as a pseudo Mox. Yes, its a one time deal but it has helped me power out a first turn Chalice at one or a first turn Vedalken Engineer. Late game however, it is next to useless. I am still contemplating on whether it should be removed for a better acceleration, or just use more lands in general. Vedalken Engineer is great in powering out early robots. I have pulled off a turn 2 Master Transmuter and lead to an interesting early game with it (though it only happened once). Vedalken Engineer used to be Grand Architect but it proved that I didn't have as much blue creatures, which made it less appealing. Coming in a turn later also didn't help it. Though I am still contemplating on using it in tandem with Etherium Sculptor. With a high artifact count, I believe that a Mox Opal is an auto include in this deck, though its legendary status and conditional usage proved that you don't always want to see it.

Robot Makers:
Kuldotha Forgemaster is essentially a Tinker on a stick. Why not use it. It has help power out its Legacy counterpart, so why not use it here when its legal. Master Transmuter is there to cheat robots in your hands, as well as trying to save whatever is on the board when needed. Scarecrone (in tandem with Thirst for Knowledge) is there recur/cheat robots from the graveyard. If it proves to be unhelpful, it can be cycled no problem.

Big Robots:
Wurmcoil Engine is there because its just a beating against aggro. It also leaves a couple bodies behind when its destroyed. Steel Hellkite is your mass board removal when you need to clean your opponent's board. Duplicant is there as a Forgemaster target when you need a pinpoint creature removal. Myr Battlesphere is there as a big beater. It also provides bodies if blockers are needed or just a Forgemaster fuel in general. Sundering Titan is there to remove lands that have basic land types in them. Against the right deck, it can be used as a pseudo-Armageddon.

Robotic Tools:
Both Spellskite and Lightning Greaves are there to protect whatever needs to be protected. Each has its own pros and cons so a split 3/3 should be fine with these two. Chalice of the Void is there to punish decks that have a really low mana-curve. Crucible of Worlds is there to recur this deck's utility lands.

Thirst for Knowledge is there not only to provide card advantage, but also to provide Scarecrone something to recur.

While it can power out massive robots no problem, the main problem of the deck (like most of its counterparts in other format) is consistency. I am trying to develop a more consistent build and its only a matter of time before it can be achieved.

... to be continued.

(nameless one)
08-13-2011, 04:51 PM
Reserved

08-13-2011, 04:55 PM
Darksteel Citadel is not on the banned list. Run 4.

(nameless one)
08-13-2011, 06:29 PM
Darksteel Citadel is not on the banned list. Run 4.

Yes, since it helps Metalcraft count (Mox Opal), can be a Forgemaster/Transmuter fodder and it's indestructible.

I will definitely run Darksteel Citadel.

Speaking of the manabase, I am contemplating on running Academy Ruins. Maybe as a one of. Buy the deck will already be running Buried Ruin. Though I still think Buried Ruin is still better as it returns the artifact back to you hand, and not on top of your library.

(nameless one)
08-14-2011, 02:02 PM
So far with my playtesting, I am running the following as my manabase:

8 Island
4 Darksteel Citadel
4 Tectonic Edge
3 Ghost Quarter
3 Buried Ruin
2 Mox Opal
4 Simian Spirit Guide

I have got rid of the Everflowing Chalice as it is not that helpful in accelerating the robots out.

The only reason why there's a Spirit Guide is because I do not have a decent turn one play. Though that might change since I just realized that Voltaic Key is Modern Legal. I might run both Voltaic Key and Vedalken Centarch (and possibly Ponders) for my turn one plays.

In doing so, I am contemplating on removing Ratchet Bomb since the first two cards mentioned above will not play nice with the Bomb. I might even replace that with Etherium Sculptor.

As of now with those two, I am running 12 blue creatures (Centarch, Sculptor and Transmuter). If I add Grand Architect, I might be able to power out robots no problem (as early as turn 3).

Lodestone Golem hasn't really proven it's worth so it might get cut. I might also reduce the number of Wurmcoils and replace it with an additional Steel Hellkite as a Ratchet Bomb replacement.

I also considering using Phyrexian Ingester instead of Duplicant, since it's blue and for an extra mana, you can have something more.

I know there was that thread about posting random ideas in Modern (and wishfully thinking porting decks from different formats) but I am willing to make this work.

My local store will be doing a weekly Modern event every Thursday starting September and I am hoping that this deck will at least be ready.

PS. Outside of Zoo and 12-Post, which gauntlet decks should I test against?

(nameless one)
08-16-2011, 10:10 AM
I have updated the opening post, with a list I'm currently testing and why certain cards were chosen.