PDA

View Full Version : SCD- Wrench Mind... Modern's Hymn?

Spartacvs
08-13-2011, 06:14 PM
I think this card could make B/x Bob decks pretty decent since if they have an artifact they will most likely play it t1(Vial) or you can nab it with the t1 Thoughtseize/Inquisition of Kosilek.

Nihil Credo
08-13-2011, 06:42 PM
Hymn to Tourach would be completely unplayable without the "at random" clause.

Fun fact, I actually played a deck with Wrench Mind when it was in T2 and I had just discovered 'serious' Magic. It took me shorter to figure out it was bad than it took me to figure out Greater Harvester was bad.

troopatroop
08-13-2011, 06:56 PM
Hymn to Tourach would be completely unplayable without the "at random" clause.

Completely unplayable is an overstatement for a 2 for 1 card. If they're holding 2-4 cards, it can be great. I'm not crazy about it, but it's not unplayable. I could see it have some success in a controllish black deck that aims to cast it mid-late game. Too bad Chain of Smog isn't legal :P

Spartacvs
08-13-2011, 06:57 PM
Gerrard's Verdict isn't completely unplayable in Legacy and this isn't Legacy. I think CA will matter in Modern.

SpikeyMikey
08-13-2011, 07:37 PM
I think that Modern's Hymn is Blightning. Having played against it in Standard, I know that it can be a very brutal card, especially in multiples. To be honest, I think it's very close to playable in Legacy (moreso than Wrench Mind).

Aggro_zombies
08-13-2011, 07:52 PM
Gerrard's Verdict isn't completely unplayable in Legacy and this isn't Legacy. I think CA will matter in Modern.
Gerrard's Verdict has a rider that encourages opponents to discard certain types of cards (not lands). That rider doesn't always matter (control decks typically care more about losing two cards than gaining you six life), but it can be relevant against other midrange or aggro-control decks.

Wrench Mind also has a rider - that lets the opponent get out of discarding the full amount of cards. BB for something that at best is a Mind Rot does not seem enticing; for one more mana you get both Blightning and Stupor. The former comes with a Lava Spike (which is pretty much always useful), and the latter produces a half-random discard. I have my doubts about how useful Blightning is in the maindeck in a format where Zoo seems to be the clear best deck, and Stupor isn't anywhere close to Blightning's level.

In short, I agree with Nihil here. Letting your opponent pitch his two worst cards is significantly less burdensome than forcing him to potentially pitch much better spells.

Dark Ritual
08-14-2011, 02:05 AM
Yeah wrench mind is awful. It's conditional for one. If artifact heavy decks get played, wrench mind is a really really bad skull fracture for BB. The fact that it gives them a choice on what they discard is what sets it back behind even the 3 mana options in stupor and blightning where they have other more potent side effects in 3 to their dome/planeswalker or get at least one random discard out there.

The card isn't even playable in mono black control so that alone should tell you the card is bad. If only hymn were reprinted oh wait hymn is busted because once someone discards 2 lands in a land light hand they are out of the game unless they rip land off the top like a champion conversely you can rip 2 business spells and have them draw straight lands off the top for a few turns.

Mr. Safety
08-15-2011, 07:48 AM
I think that Modern's Hymn is Blightning. Having played against it in Standard, I know that it can be a very brutal card, especially in multiples. To be honest, I think it's very close to playable in Legacy (moreso than Wrench Mind).

+1

Kudos, look out for Bloodbraid Elf into Blightning in modern...

Maveric78f
08-17-2011, 04:08 AM
I think that Stupor would be playable if the 2 discard effects were resolved in the opposite order. In that order, it's not that much better than mind rot.

Mr. Safety
08-19-2011, 01:00 PM
I respectfull disagree...I think they are ordered the way I want them to be. I'd rather have the random discard FIRST, hopefully hitting something relivant. Then the second one adds up to card advantage for you, because you have nullified 2 cards with 1. I actually kind of like Stupor, but I feel that Blightning is far superior to it.

There is a TON of targeted discard available in Modern and better options like Life from the Loam with Raven's Crime, so Wrench Mind will be rarely played I think:

Thoughtseize
Inquisition of Kozilek
Duress
Despise
Blackmail
Coercion

perm
08-19-2011, 09:46 PM
There is no way blackmail or coercion will be played, lol

Mr. Safety
08-22-2011, 08:42 AM
Agreed, lol. Just throwing it out there to complete the list of targeted discard. I would play Blackmail before I played Wrench Mind, though. For BB, Distress seems like the best option if you're committed to a 2-mana discard spell, but I feel that 8 targeted discards (Sieze and Inquisition) is the smartest route.

Pneumatiker
08-22-2011, 02:07 PM
One note to the order of the discard effects on Stupor:
Maveric is correct here, it'd be better if the order was altered. Because when you play Stupor what's what your oppent hopes? That he has to discards his two worst cards.
1.) If he discards a card at random first, there'll be two cards he wants you to pick one from (his two worst cards). The other one will be the one he'll choose.
2.) If he discards a card of his choice first, he'll pick obviously his worst card. Then there'll be only one card he wants you to pick (the second worst one).
So the chance that you pick one of the cards he wants to discard are higher when he first discards a card at random.

Mr. Safety
08-22-2011, 02:52 PM
Thanks! :wink: that makes sense.

dsck
08-22-2011, 03:50 PM
http://sales.starcitygames.com/carddisplay.php?product=41143

Fall seems much better replacement.

Gix
08-24-2011, 09:30 PM
I don't think Mind Wrench will be "Modern's Hymn" simply because there is no Dark Ritual in that format. I feel that decks will be more inclined to play Duress and Thoughtsieze only.