PDA

View Full Version : [Deck] Blink D

morgan_coke
08-13-2011, 09:32 PM
This is the thread for the Reveillark/Momentary Blink land destruction deck. The deck runs red, blue, and white, and focuses on destroying the opponents' lands with cards like Avalanche Riders and Fulminator Mage while gaining card advantage from Momentary Blink and, Reveillark, and Mulldrifter.

Creatures
4x Fulminator Mage
4x Avalanche Riders
4x Mulldrifter
4x Reveillark

Sorcery(s)
4x Boom/Bust
4x Preordain

Instants
4x Momentary Blink
4x Lightning Helix

Planeswalkers
2x Ajani Vengeant

Lands
4x Arid Mesa
4x Scalding Tarn
4x Steam Vents
4x Hallowed Fountain
2x Sacred Foundry
3x Plains
3x Island
2x Mountain

Sideboard
4x Aven Riftwatcher
4x Surgical Extraction
3x Meddling Mage
4x Ethersword Canonist

It needs more refinement, but it is an attempt to port the old r/w boat brew LD deck to Modern with an updated manabase that allows for the inclusion of blue. Boom/Bust has some very, very nice interactions with fetchlands, as do creatures like Vedalken Plotter.

Some ideas to try out:
Run full sets of Hallowed Fountain and Sacred Foundry alongside Emeria, the Sky Ruin to further the recursion plan.

Run a Trinket Mage package. Likely targets are Tormod's Crypt, Engineered Explosives, Pithing Needle, Basilisk Collar and Hex Parasite.

Run Chandra, the Firebrand along with some non-creature LD/Draw spells for her to double.

Run Grim Lavamancer with the Trinket package for a critter machine gun/mini lightning helix machine.

Run Crucible of Worlds along with Tectonic Edge and Ghost Quarter.

12post/Tron variants, and non-basic lands in general are expected to be very, very popular in this format, a deck that can take advantage of them is likely well positioned against the field.

routlaw
08-15-2011, 05:31 AM
I adore Momentary Blink and think that attacking the format's mana bases is a good strategy in a format where people bank so much on 3c mana bases and Fire/Groves. This is an interesting first crack at a Blink deck.

That being said, I think you could use some additional cheap interaction against aggro decks-you have a tough time dealing with a resolved 3/4 or higher Tarmogoyf, and Knight of the Reliquary also seems like a huge problem since it "protects" lands against LD and gets monstrously huge in the process. Engineered Explosives is probably the card I would turn to, maybe with some form of trinket mage/Lavamancer package as mentioned. EE@1 is also the stones against Zoo, one of the DTB in the format, and works good against the underrated R/G Aggro Elves deck out there as well.

I would bother with Tec Edges due to the whole "they need four lands in play" clause. Ghost Quarter seems fine though as a two-of, it's good with Boom/Bust and Quartering them off their one basic for a color seems like a fine play.

I think Emeria is too slow for this format, even with all of the stall in this deck due to the land denial.

Wish there was some way to play this kind of deck in Bant, but the options in red for land destruction are way worse than those in green, for sure.

Mr. Safety
08-18-2011, 08:17 AM
I've been testing a BUG 187 deck that uses Makeshift Mannequin alongside Eternal Witness to do some blink shenanigans. I really like your setup though, mostly because I think Tumble Magnet could be fairly awesome alongside Ajani Vengeant.

My current BUG list:

Creatures - 16
4x Shriekmaw
4x Mulldrifter
3x Eternal Witness
3x Tombstalker
2x Vendilion Clique

Instants - 13
3x Makeshift Mannequin
2x Dismember
4x Spell Snare
4x Mana leak

Sorceries - 6
2x Maelstrom Pulse
4x Ponder

Artifacts - 2
1x Engineered Explosives

Planeswalkers - 2
2x Garruk Wildspeaker

Lands - 22
4x Verdant Catacombs
1x Misty Rainforest
1x Scalding Tarn
2x Overgrown Tomb
2x Watery Grave
3x Island
2x Swamp
2x Forest
2x Tectonic Edge
2x Ghost Quarter
1x Tolaria West

Sideboard
4x Fulminator Mage
3x Trinket Mage
1x Basilisk Collar
1x Engineered Explosives
1x Pithing Needle
1x Nihil Spellbomb
1x Executioner's Capsule
3x Tumble Magnet

How do you feel about the BUG list? Should I trade it in for your Blink list?

kaiserruhsam
08-18-2011, 05:12 PM
Flagstones of Trokair is a must with boom. Aethermage's touch, ghostway, and both vensers are considerations as well.

Maveric78f
08-19-2011, 03:38 AM
The concept looks good, BUT :
- you absolutely need some kind of mana acceleration in such a deck. Let's say 4*birds, given the colors you play. But 4*Wall of roots might be required too. (it provides a blocker in addition of mana acceleration)
- You have to play Momentary Blink.
- Which leads to the main remark, this is the only deck so far where I see Gift Ungiven performing well.

Something like this:

187 Creatures - 13
4x Shriekmaw
3x Mulldrifter
4x Eternal Witness
2x Vendilion Clique

Mana ramp creatures - 7
4 Birds of Paradise
3 Wall of Roots

Instants - 12
2x Makeshift Mannequin
3x Momentary blink
2x Gift Ungiven
3x Spell Snare
1x Noxious Revival
1x Darkblast

Sorceries - 7
2x Maelstrom Pulse
4x Ponder
1x Life From the Loam

Artifacts - 1
1x Engineered Explosives

Lands - 20
4x Verdant Catacombs
4x Misty Rainforest
1x Overgrown Tomb
1x Watery Grave
2x Breeding Pool
3x Island
1x Swamp
3x Forest
1x Academy Ruins

perm
08-19-2011, 03:45 AM
have you considered darksteel citadel or flagstones for boom/bust? They are are also nice for turning GQ into a fetch/ double fetch

Mr. Safety
08-19-2011, 10:26 AM
The concept looks good, BUT :
- you absolutely need some kind of mana acceleration in such a deck. Let's say 4*birds, given the colors you play. But 4*Wall of roots might be required too. (it provides a blocker in addition of mana acceleration)
- You have to play Momentary Blink.
- Which leads to the main remark, this is the only deck so far where I see Gift Ungiven performing well.

Something like this:

187 Creatures - 13
4x Shriekmaw
3x Mulldrifter
4x Eternal Witness
2x Vendilion Clique

Mana ramp creatures - 7
4 Birds of Paradise
3 Wall of Roots

Instants - 12
2x Makeshift Mannequin
3x Momentary blink
2x Gift Ungiven
3x Spell Snare
1x Noxious Revival
1x Darkblast

Sorceries - 7
2x Maelstrom Pulse
4x Ponder
1x Life From the Loam

Artifacts - 1
1x Engineered Explosives

Lands - 20
4x Verdant Catacombs
4x Misty Rainforest
1x Overgrown Tomb
1x Watery Grave
2x Breeding Pool
3x Island
1x Swamp
3x Forest
1x Academy Ruins

I see where you're coming from, but I don't want a 4th color. Greedy mana-bases are easy prey for the aggro and combo decks in the format. I also feel that 3 permission spells (Spell Snare) is just way too low. I feel 8 is the right number (I'm playing 4 mana leak)

I also feel the need for a much better finisher, hence my 3 Tombstalkers. I'm also going to be using Cream of the Crop to feed me card quality as well, most likely instead of Ponder.

The format is slow enough that 22 lands and some healthy removal/permission should get me to my 3-4 lands neccessary to get to the mid-game. I think 23 would make me feel better, and I'm trying 61 cards to make that happen.

Revised list:

4x Mulldrifter
4x Shriekmaw
2x Vendilion Clique
3x Eternal Witness
3x Tombstalker

4x Spell Snare
4x Mana Leak
3x Makeshift Mannequin
2x Gifts Ungiven
2x Maelstrom Pulse
1x Cream of the Crop
1x Life from the Loam
1x Dismember
1x Profane Command
1x Garruk Wildspeaker
1x Engineered Explosives

4x Verdant Catacombs
1x Scalding Tarn
1x Misty Rainforest
2x Overgrown Tomb
2x Watery Grave
1x Twilight Mire
2x Sunken Ruins
2x Ghost Quarter
1x Tectonic Edge
2x Island
2x Swamp
2x Forest
1x Academy Ruins

I don't have Ponder in here...but I'm not sure it's really that good of a fit, considering the utility of the other cards. Thanks for the note!