PDA

View Full Version : [Deck] UW Tron

Kirika
08-16-2011, 03:27 PM
UW Tron by David Tsukono 2nd at the TCG Player 2k Modern tournament.

MAIN DECK
1 Sundering Titan
Creatures [1]
1 Elspeth, Knight-Errant
1 Gideon Jura
Planeswalkers [2]
1 All Is Dust
4 Azorius Signet
1 Chalice of the Void
4 Condescend
1 Crucible of Worlds
1 Day of Judgment
2 Engineered Explosives
4 Gifts Ungiven
1 Hallowed Burial
2 Mindslaver
2 Oblivion Ring
4 Path to Exile
1 Spell Burst
1 Talisman of Progress
4 Thirst for Knowledge
1 Wrath of God
Spells [34]
2 Academy Ruins
1 Arid Mesa
1 Celestial Colonnade
2 Hallowed Fountain
1 Mystic Gate
1 Scalding Tarn
1 Snow-Covered Island
1 Snow-Covered Plains
2 Tolaria West
4 Urza's Mine
4 Urza's Power Plant
4 Urza's Tower
Lands [24]
SIDEBOARD
1 Circle of Protection: Red
1 Condemn
1 Crovax, Ascendant Hero
1 Ethersworn Canonist
1 Ghost Quarter
1 Jotun Grunt
1 Kataki, War's Wage
1 Pithing Needle
1 Pulse of the Fields
1 Runed Halo
1 Tormod's Crypt
1 Trinisphere
3 Wurmcoil Engine
Sideboard [15]

Surprised no one's posted this.

I remember playing UW tron in extended a long time ago. This seems really powerful with Gifts + Thirst draw engines with multiple wrath effects vs aggro and good old slaver lock for the win.

Aggro_zombies
08-16-2011, 03:46 PM
Surprised no one's posted this.
-4 Urza's Mine
-4 Urza's Tower
-4 Urza's Power Plant

+4 Cloudpost
+4 Vesuva
+4 Glimmerpost

Seriously, there is no reason to run Tron over Post. It takes up the same number of slots, generates the same amount of mana when you have one of each piece, but generates way more mana when you have multiples of pieces and gains you life to boot.

So in a way, yeah, people have already posted lists like this.

Mojeh
08-16-2011, 06:47 PM
Can anyone explain to me this bunch of 1-of-a-kind in the sideboard?

About the Tron x Posts:
The posts only work better when you have a Cloudpost, otherwise your Vesuva will copy Glimmerpost, and you'll have 1 mana on turn 2.

Aggro_zombies
08-16-2011, 06:53 PM
He's playing a Gifts deck, and you can only find one of something with Gifts. He probably wanted to max out on potential Gifts targets and so went with a singleton sideboard.

hyperchord24
08-16-2011, 06:54 PM
I've played legacy turbodrazi a number of times and never had an issue finding a cloudpost and never had a vesuva that was forced to copy a glimmerpost. Yeah, it ran crop rotation, but I hardly ever used it.

Mojeh
08-16-2011, 06:57 PM
He's playing a Gifts deck, and you can only find one of something with Gifts. He probably wanted to max out on potential Gifts targets and so went with a singleton sideboard.

Yes, I got this point, but seriously, this strategy isn't a bit slow when facing fast aggro decks?

I played UW Tron in old extended, and decks like Zoo/Naya Burn were tough matchups... and in that occasion we had Chrome Mox to speed things up.

Kirika
08-16-2011, 07:51 PM
Cloudposts and Vesuva also come into play tapped which can be a problem if you want to use your mana immediately like to play a signet turn 2 or leave mana up to condescend etc.

Mr. Safety
08-17-2011, 09:22 AM
Amulet of Vigor may make its way into Controllish-Post lists, but it's kinda bad...unless you use Frozen Aether and Root Maze

I'd rather be playing Polymorph and Progenitus in a hard control shell, maybe with Isochron Scepter.

RainbowPenguin
08-17-2011, 04:04 PM
A singleton sideboard makes a lot of sense for a control deck in an open field: You can pick several overlapping hate cards against specific decks that you think will be popular, and still have something relevant vs. more fringe decks.

Canonist will be good against Dragonstorm, but could also be fine against Combo Elves. Combo Elves would also bring out Crovax, who could be fine against some Empty the Warrens-based deck too, perhaps. Runed Halo would be useful against various combo decks, but if someone decided to bring along 4 Cruel Ultimatum.dec, you could presumably bring it in here as well. Affinity-ish decks would have trouble with Kataki, but it could also be annoying for something like Second Sunrise Combo, which would be even more annoyed to see a Crypt, Etc. Etc.

Mojeh
08-17-2011, 07:51 PM
@RainbowPenguin: My point is: you can't rely on your sideboard's 1-of... if you are going to need a Kataki against Affinity, you can't just put 1 and wait it to come (even using 4 Gifts). Don't get me wrong, I've tested this deck and so far the sideboard is fine, but still I'm not convinced.

Mojeh
08-17-2011, 11:45 PM
Sorry for the double post, but I played against RDW and Greenpost, and I got slaughtered.
Ok, the RDW guy started with 2 Guides in game 1, and with 1 Guide in game two, but still, I believe they are just too fast for us to control.
Against Greenpost (that had Tooth and Nail, Primeval Titan, Emrakul and Summoning Trap), the thing is UW Tron simply have no clock at all, and they can just keep ramping lands until they drop an Emrakul FTW.

Maybe, possible solutions includes more Circle of Protection: Red, Pulse of the Fields, and some other stuff to dealing with Emrakul... maybe Brittle Effigy.

For the record, I am playing the list of the first post, without the Talisman of Progress, in order to fit 60 cards.

Mr. Safety
08-18-2011, 07:49 AM
I would playtest Firespout and a splash if you're having trouble with early beatsticks, but the real solution is probably Leyline of Sanctity and possibly Ghostly Prison in the sideboard.

Just me
08-18-2011, 08:00 AM
I would playtest Firespout and a splash if you're having trouble with early beatsticks, but the real solution is probably Leyline of Sanctity and possibly Ghostly Prison in the sideboard.

Firespout in a U/W deck where 12 landslots are filled with Tron (or 12post)? I don't think so.

Wrath of God is a great sweeper vs Aggro if you play Signets to unleash the Wrath turn 3 (or slow them down with removal instead of speeding yourselves up). It also kills fatties. Play 3 more SB if Zoo / beatdown worries you that much.

If the burn is the real problem, then Leyline seems the best. It also protects vs discard so it hase multiple functions. But enough to play 4 SB? I mean, how much does it really do vs Zoo for example?

I suggest maxing out on Chalice of the Void @ 1 vs Aggro since that's where half there deck works.

Lemnear
08-18-2011, 08:07 AM
Or you can play our Steel stompy 12-post aka The Power and drop a turn 3 batterskull/wurmcoil engine and laugh about everyone playing Zoo, beatdown, burn, etc.

Krzaku
11-06-2011, 05:58 PM
List I've been testing for a while below.
I've been doing pretty well preside with almost everything. Fast aggro decks seems to be beating me (its like 40-60 for them) so I'm sure side will be anti aggro and here is first question. Wall of omens / Timely reinforcement / more sweepers?

Sometimes I also feel like I lack some speed (banned chrome mox) and signets seem terribad in this deck.

In some matchups I would need a Pithing Needle in gifts pile so going to main one probably, more into side.

Any sugestions? :)

3Azious Signet
1Expedition Map
1Mindslaver
1Sundering Titan // Triskelion
1Wurmcoil Engine

7 artifacts

4Condescend
1Condemn
1Echoing Truth
4Gifts Ungiven
1Noxious Revival