PDA

View Full Version : [Deck] Poly-Pro Scepter

Mr. Safety
08-17-2011, 09:11 AM
I was pretty excited to realize that all of the casual decks I've been building lately using ravnica shock lands are now pretty much competitive in modern. I was brainstorming on how to make Progenitus happen in Modern...and I remember a fringe deck that happend when Polymorph was legal in standard alongside Proggy.

Initial rough list:

4x Ponder
2x See Beyond
4x Path to Exile
4x Remand
3x Spell Pierce
4x Silence
3x Rule of Law
3x Wrath of God
2x Elspeth, Knight-Errant
4x Isochron Scepter
3x Polymorph
1x Progenitus

4x Misty Rainforest
4x Arid Mesa
4x Hallowed Fountain
4x Blinkmoth Nexus
4x Island
4x Plains

This is Scepter control that should take care of business fairly easily.

The focus will be on landing a scepter (with protection against other control oriented decks...but they will be few and far between I think.)

I like the chances of a hard control deck like this. You can play lockdown with Scepter/Silence, or just disrupt with Remand and drawing extra cards, or pumping out chump tokens with Raise the Alarm. I think the deck could possibly be well positioned in an aggro and combo heavy format.

I would appreciate any/all thoughts folks have on this as a potential contender in Modern.

Jeff Kruchkow
08-17-2011, 10:16 PM
Since most decks will play dudes, Timely Reinforcements might be better than Raise the Alarm

Mr. Safety
08-18-2011, 07:25 AM
Possible inclusion for the sideboard, but Timely Reinforcements can't be imprinted on Isochron Scepter. Without Bitterblossom in the format, a way to consistently make tokens for cheap seems like a good strategy.

Kich867
08-18-2011, 02:14 PM
In the event you draw Progenitus, you have 0 options to put him back in your library. It might be a good idea to include See Beyond in the deck.

Mr. Safety
08-18-2011, 04:26 PM
You, my friend, are absolutely right. Nice call!

wilson
08-20-2011, 11:55 AM
nice deck and thought-out card choices! very inspiring! what about one copy of muddle the mixture? it can win counter-wars and search for scepter, other cards to imprint/ even be imprinted, altough there are better choices for it.

Mr. Safety
08-31-2011, 12:42 PM
Bump...I am looking to finally start testing this setup seriously (and giving my BUG 187 list a break for a little while...)

I'm looking for some input from other Sourcers to see if I can make this happen in Modern.

Jeff Kruchkow
08-31-2011, 12:55 PM
More Elspeth, More Inkmoth Nexus. Less Raise the Alarm. Seriously, that care is terrible

Mr. Safety
08-31-2011, 02:48 PM
It was to give tokens for Polymorph...but I think you're right to include more Elspeth and have Inkmoth's (or even Blinkmoths) available to rip into Proggy.

Thanks!