PDA

View Full Version : [Deck] Landfall Warp World

Maveric78f
08-19-2011, 06:16 AM
Warp World is one of my favorite card in magic since Ravnica has been spoiled. At this time, I played it in a enchantment-heavy Control Magic build, with Annex, Dream Leash, Confiscate, along with Faith's Fetters, Galvanic Arc, Fists of Ironwood and Forbidden Orchard. The rules were different at this time and you owned the tokens that were created by your effects, this is now the controller of the token at its creation that owns the token now. This was good times. When the rules changed, I changed game plan with the exact same deck: I would give my opponent bear caps for the orchard or the Hunted Troll tokens and then demand him to shuffle them into his library as required by the oracle text.

Anyway, this is obviously too slow for Modern. We should not need to resolve Warp World to win, but if we do, then we should win.

To build this first version, I took inspiration from a standard Zendikar list that I found on the web (I did not play anymore standard at this time).

Mana ramp creatures: 12
4 Birds of Paradise
4 Wall of Roots
4 Lotus Cobra

Card advantage creatures: 8
4 Elvish Visionary
4 Wall of Omens

Kill creatures: 14
4 Rampaging Baloths
3 Siege-Gang Commander
3 Ob Nixilis, the Fallen
4 Spellbreaker Behemoth

The card: 4
4 Warp World

Lands: 22
4 Misty Rainforest
4 Verdant Catacombs
4 Arid Mesa
1 Plains
1 Mountain
1 Swamp
3 Forest
1 Overgrown Tomb
2 Stomping Ground
1 Temple Garden

Sideboard: 15
SB: 3 Blood Moon
SB: 4 Simian Spirit Guide
SB: 2 Ethersworn Canonist
SB: 2 Aven Mindcensor
SB: 4 Chalice of the Void

Birds is the only turn 1 to be played and I have to say that it is tempting to blank it and play Overgrown Battlement instead, and Carven Caryatid instead of Elvish Visionary. Also it would enable to play efficiently Perimeter Captain in SB (and Firespout).

We do not need to resolve Warp World to win the game. Rampaging Baloths, Siege-Gang Commander and Ob Nixilis are creatures that are impressive enough to get the job done by their own.

For the moment, I’ve only goldfished the list a few times to control, I could get the things done without any problem.

Control should be easy. You just have too many threats.
Aggro has to be tested. They’ll probably blast the birds and the Cobra to slow us down, but still we play a lot of walls to contain their aggressiveness. Once we play a kill they should have much difficulty to finish us with something else then blasts.
Combo (including 12-post) must be impossible MD. Magus of the moon, Blood Moon and other hate might be useful. But it’s generally difficult to have a universal answer to every combo deck, so that we probably need to way for the moment to understand which option is the best.

According to me, the testing of aggro is going to be the real test for the viability of the deck. If it works MD without any problem, then we might find a solution to the awful combo MU with the SB.

Sims
08-19-2011, 11:12 AM
Would it be possible to take the Jund Ramp route from when that deck was legal in standard and abuse Fertile Ground/Wild Growth/Utopia Sprawl + untappers like Garruk for mana ramping into threats that will win the game with or without Warp World? This would give you earlier access to Baloths and Ob Nix, ontop of being able to run slightly above the curve enders like Bogardan Hellkite. Perhaps this is going in a more Warpworld centric direction, but something worth considering.

Another thought is that you have access to loam to recurr fetches for landfall triggers, explore to sneak extra land drops into play, and by playing Wildspeaker you have access to an overrun for all your baloths that you could be making.

Again, just thoughts.

Koby
08-19-2011, 02:21 PM
I'm not understanding the inclusion of Spellbreaker Behemoth. It doesn't help to resolve Warp World, nor does it help resolve the majority of your threats (only spot Rampaging Baloths as the synergistic target).

You could also include Genesis Wave to also turbocharge the strategy (say, X=6). Eternal Witness would be very very good inclusion too, to continue running the chain or recur a countered Warp World, or just use as utility.

Another idea would be to include Awakening Zone as both a token generator, stall tactic, and mana ramp.

Maveric78f
08-21-2011, 11:01 AM
Rukcus, you're absolutely right, Spellbreaker was really subpar. First I wanted to play Borgadan Hellkite, but once I removed it, I should have also removed the spellbreaker. Genesis Wave was great also in my testings, almost as good as Warp World when played for 5 or 6. Awakening Zone was however judge too slow (turn 3 in my birds-less build) and 2 or 3 turns for starting being effective. Also, it would have been my only enchantment/artifact.

Then I tested a bit Birthing Pod, which is very interesting with 187 effects. As every deck, I had hard time finding interesting 4-CC to ramp into game breaker creatures. I finally selected only 2 of them: Murderous Redcap and Kozilek's Predator. I also removed white which was useful only for SB (Wall of Omen could be easily replaced with Carven Caryatid).

Lands: 21
4 Misty Rainforest
4 Verdant Catacombs
4 Arid Mesa
2 Mountain
1 Swamp
2 Forest
2 Overgrown Tomb
2 Stomping Ground
1 Blood Crypt

Utility creatures: 20
4 Lotus Cobra
4 Overgrown Battlement
4 Wall of Roots
4 Carven Caryatid
4 Eternal Witness

4-CC and more creatures: 10
1 Murderous Redcap
1 Kozilek's Predator
3 Siege-Gang Commander
3 Ob Nixilis, the Fallen
1 Rampaging Baloths
1 Primeval Titan

Game Breaking Spells: 8
3 Birthing Pod
3 Genesis Wave
2 Warp World

Sideboard:
SB: 4 Blood Moon
SB: 4 Simian Spirit Guide
SB: 4 Chalice of the Void
SB: 3 ???

I play only 2 warp world against 3 Genesis Wave, because Wave can be played @3 or @4 and still be quite effective (still hits more than 2/3 of the deck and find elements that help reaching the 8 manas). Birthing Pod might be too slow, but it's surely a card that fits well to the deck.

Then I had another reflection: Ghostway and Momentary Blink would be very effective, with all the witnesses we play, and then Time Warp would be a cheaper way to start winning. It's no more Warp World, it's also very light on threats outside from the combo but it can be really effective as a control-combo deck. I will certainly start a new thread on it soon.

Lands: 19
4 Misty Rainforest
1 Verdant Catacombs
1 Scalding Tarn
1 Dryad Arbor
2 Temple Garden
3 Hallowed Fountain
3 Breeding Pool
3 Island
1 Forest
1 Plains

Tutors/Manipulation: 12