PDA

View Full Version : [Deck] Forest Ramp

4eak
08-20-2011, 03:51 PM
This is deck which isn't quite up to snuff in Legacy, but which ports over and performs acceptably in Modern. It ramps up forests and plays bombs.

Here is a preliminary decklist:

// Forests - 21
1 Dryad Arbor
20 Forest

// Ramp - 20
4 Search for Tomorrow
4 Sakura-Tribe Elder
4 Sylvan Ranger
4 Kodama's Reach
4 Primeval Titan

// Beats - 15
4 Dungrove Elder
4 Beacon of Creation
4 Garruk, Primal Hunter
3 Rude Awakening

// Card Quality - 4
4 Green Sun's Zenith

// Sideboard
SB: 1 Plains
SB: 1 Gaddock Teeg
SB: 4 Aven Mindcensor
SB: 1 Scryb Ranger
SB: 4 Krosan Grip
SB: 4 Oblivion Stone

Part of its ramp clogs the board, chumping, until you have the mana to drop bombs, which is when you usually take over the game. Its clear weakness is combo.

Dungrove Elder is one of the largest creatures in the format. It comes down early and it is very hard to remove. He's a dangerous card for almost any deck to face.

There are card advantage and board control cards which might easily go in this deck. I'm not sure which direction the deck should go. Please advise (decklists appreciated).

Lastly, I have to ask: 'why play this over 12-post?' 12-post is basically a ramp deck (often using green as well) which plays bigger threats and some sweet answers. In my experience, this deck has a better defense in the early game. Further, this deck can "win small" - it doesn't need a full blown ramp to play a big creature and just win. It also is also nearly immune to many of the mana-disruption strategies which are pointed at 12-post.

peace,
4eak

4eak
09-29-2011, 05:30 PM
With 12-post gone (although Tron exists), this deck looks even better. With the GSZ banning, I've had to modify it. Here's what I've got now:

// Forests - 21
21 Forest

// Ramp - 20
4 Search for Tomorrow
4 Sakura-Tribe Elder
4 Sylvan Ranger
4 Kodama's Reach
4 Primeval Titan

// Beats - 13
4 Dungrove Elder
4 Beacon of Creation
3 Garruk, Primal Hunter
2 Rude Awakening

// Tutor and Toolbox - 6
4 Chord of Calling
1 Wurmcoil Engine
1 Viridian Zealot

// Sideboard
SB: 3 Krosan Grip
SB: 3 Oblivion Stone
SB: 1 Vexing Shusher
SB: 1 Phyrexian Revoker
SB: 1 Thrun, the Last Troll
SB: 3 Kitchen Finks
SB: 3 Root Maze

Chord of Calling replaces GSZ nicely in this deck. The mana-cost isn't a huge deal, the instant speed is sweet. Lots of people aren't expecting CoC->Dungrove Elder->Block. CoC is also nice for use with chump blockers and tokens (a fact I had overlooked). Losing GSZ mainly sucks for when you wanted to use it for Arbor on turn 1. I can't seem to find worthy t1 (ramp) plays. Wurmcoil Engine is a nod to needing a bit more lifegain and removal (tasks which it performs admirably). Lacking Zealot was an oversight with my initial list.

peace,
4eak

SpikeyMikey
12-09-2011, 09:14 AM
With 12-post gone (although Tron exists), this deck looks even better. With the GSZ banning, I've had to modify it. Here's what I've got now:

// Forests - 21
21 Forest

// Ramp - 20
4 Search for Tomorrow
4 Sakura-Tribe Elder
4 Sylvan Ranger
4 Kodama's Reach
4 Primeval Titan

// Beats - 13
4 Dungrove Elder
4 Beacon of Creation
3 Garruk, Primal Hunter
2 Rude Awakening

// Tutor and Toolbox - 6
4 Chord of Calling
1 Wurmcoil Engine
1 Viridian Zealot

// Sideboard
SB: 3 Krosan Grip
SB: 3 Oblivion Stone
SB: 1 Vexing Shusher
SB: 1 Phyrexian Revoker
SB: 1 Thrun, the Last Troll
SB: 3 Kitchen Finks
SB: 3 Root Maze

Chord of Calling replaces GSZ nicely in this deck. The mana-cost isn't a huge deal, the instant speed is sweet. Lots of people aren't expecting CoC->Dungrove Elder->Block. CoC is also nice for use with chump blockers and tokens (a fact I had overlooked). Losing GSZ mainly sucks for when you wanted to use it for Arbor on turn 1. I can't seem to find worthy t1 (ramp) plays. Wurmcoil Engine is a nod to needing a bit more lifegain and removal (tasks which it performs admirably). Lacking Zealot was an oversight with my initial list.

peace,
4eak

Have you done anything with this deck lately? I'm still looking for decks that perform well against Zoo and the new metagame.

12-09-2011, 11:06 AM
If you want to beat zoo, run Overgrown Battlements and splash white for Glare of Subdual. You can call the deck Beacon Glare.

4eak
12-09-2011, 12:21 PM
I've not done anything with it.

If you want to beat zoo, run Overgrown Battlements and splash white for Glare of Subdual. You can call the deck Beacon Glare.

Don't play spells which aren't getting forests into hand/play in this deck. If you want to play Overgrown Battlement, then play Tooth and Nail or Urzatron Eldrazi with Green Walls.

peace,
4eak