PDA

View Full Version : [Deck] Aggro Enchantress

4eak
08-20-2011, 05:35 PM
As the name of the deck suggests, this is GW aggro-combo deck. Enchantress, if it is going to exist in Modern, is probably going to be a more aggressive deck than the combo-control prison deck that exists in Legacy.

Here is a decklist:

// Lands - 21
3 Arid Mesa
3 Marsh Flats
4 Temple Garden
10 Snow-Covered Plains
1 Dryad Arbor

// Mana Acceleration - 8
4 Noble Hierarch
4 Utopia Sprawl

// Enchantress - 10
4 Kor Spiritdancer
4 Mesa Enchantress
2 Verduran Enchantress

// Card Quality - 3
3 Green Sun's Zenith (I'm coming to believe this is the best tutor in Modern)

// Auras - 18
4 Hyena Umbra
3 Daybreak Coronet
3 Spirit Mantle
4 Griffin Guide
2 Gelid Shackles
2 Faith's Fetters

// Sideboard
SB: 1 Gaddock Teeg
SB: 1 Green Sun's Zenith
SB: 3 Runed Halo
SB: 3 Oblivion Ring
SB: 3 Greater Auramancy
SB: 4 Ghostly Prison

White is necessary for the enchantress engine, and green seems to be necessary for the mana-acceleration. GSZ has been pretty sweet.

I have tried this with other, non-enchantress/mana-acceleration creatures, primarily disruptive ones. I've had mixed results with it. So, I've stuck to running more Enchantress effects - you really want your engine online with a great deal of consistency (even through removal and counters). Running more enchantress effects is okay in a format that has so much removal in it and, especially since we don't have access to Argothian Enchantress. You really want at least 1 in play.

Some of the auras are selected for producing card advantage by themselves. And, despite being fairly aggressive, the deck several good defensive options. It can block well, has some defensive auras, and even the offensive auras provide resilience and ways to protect yourself and/or your creatures.

peace,
4eak

Tearnov
08-21-2011, 05:39 PM
OK, to start off, you're running 5 GSZ (MD + SB). So you need to fix that error.
Second, Greater Auramancy should be in your MD. It's too good for this deck not to be.
Aura Gnarlid and Snake Umbra would be great in this deck.Eldrazi Conscription would be a nice late game bomb. Canopy Cover could also be a viable SB option. Shield of the Oversoul isn't bad either, but you're not running any G/W creatures. Sigil of the Empty Throne is also rather good and am sadden to not see it in here(mainly because i like it so much)
I was also looking at the Genjus from Betrayers, those aren't bad but i'm not sure they'd work in this deck.
Sorry i just tossed a bunch of Auras i like, just trying to be helpful.

Aggro_zombies
08-21-2011, 06:00 PM
I'm going to second the call for Greater Auramancy to be in the maindeck. You're already in a bad spot with regards to burn spells on your guys in response to enchanting them (and you have precious few guys to burn), so I would recommend at least making them immune to removal after you enchant (and from Pridemage enabling mid-combat blowouts). Speaking of which...why no hexproof guys? They seem custom-made for a deck like this.

4eak
08-21-2011, 06:00 PM
Fixed the SB.

Greater Auramancy is a good card. I'm not convinced it is MD material just yet, but I'll try it out. There are a ton of matchups where it does too little. I like bringing it in for games 2/3 against decks where it is amazing and/or against decks which are bringing in more targeted removal. What would you take out for it, and why?

Haven't tested Aura Gnarlid and Snake Umbra before. Will do.

Eldrazi Conscription is winmore. If you've got your engine going to the point that you have 8 lands in play, you should be able to bury most decks in raw CA.

Sigil of the Empty Throne is a card I'm fond of. I think it works best in defensive, prison version of Enchantress. The deck would need to change substantially for it to be worth running. I'm not sure what that would look like, but it might be worth trying out. You'd lose your Kor Spiritdancers, and go for Venduran....I'll try and make list.

There isn't much room in the deck, sadly. I think 1-Hexproof guy off GSZ makes sense though.

peace,
4eak

Mr. Safety
08-22-2011, 12:27 PM
Some thoughts:

Yavimaya Enchantress
Circle of Protection: Red
Story Circle

Tearnov
08-22-2011, 02:08 PM
Some thoughts:

Yavimaya Enchantress
Circle of Protection: Red
Story Circle

Aura Gnarlid > Yavimaya Enchantress

Infinitium
08-22-2011, 02:22 PM
Auratog looks like it can abuse this deck somewhat, especially as it can play shenanigans with Spirit Loop, Journey to Nowhere, Oblivion Ring, Temporal Isolation and so on and so forth.

Also, it opens up for a small splash for Hatching Plans/Perilious Research.

Brushwagg
08-22-2011, 04:15 PM
No Hoof Prints of the Stag anywhere??? Seems good enough to play as a 1 or 2 of some where.

Mr. Safety
08-22-2011, 04:18 PM
No Hoof Prints of the Stag anywhere??? Seems good enough to play as a 1 or 2 of some where.

Hoofprints of the Stag fixed...

Hoofprints is better than Hatching Plans/Perilous Research for sure. The girls that draw cards will make sure it has counters to turn into 4/4 elementals.

TheDarkshineKnight
08-23-2011, 12:55 AM
How about Canopy Cover?

Providing your Enchantresses hexproof and pseudo-unblockability seems fairly strong, no?