PDA

View Full Version : [Deck] Wildfire

pryite199
08-21-2011, 04:16 PM
OK so on Magic online almost all of the decks being tested for Modern are zoo/cascade/12post so I figured why not wildfires to prey on 12post? Here is the current build I've been toying with online. The Gideon and Elspeth 2.0 are due to card available.

10 Snow-Covered Plains
12 Snow-Covered Mountain
4 Boros Signet
4 Everflowing Chalice

4 Wildfire
3 Demolish
4 Simian Spirit Guide

2 Ajani Vengeant
3 Chandra, the Firebrand
1 Gideon Jura
1 Elspeth Tirel
4 Chalice of the Void
2 Contagion Clasp
2 Koth of the Hammer
2 Wall of Omens
2 Elspeth, Knight-Errant

Sideboard
4 Kitchen Finks
3 Tormod's Crypt
2 Blood Moon
2 Ethersworn Canonist
1 Relic of Progenitus
3 Path to Exile

KevinTrudeau
08-21-2011, 04:32 PM
Reminds me of a pretty good archetype back when Ravnica and 9th edition were in Standard- UR Vore. Should eat up those Cloudpost decks quite easily, and I suppose could be good enough to see a successful ported version in Modern. Here's a sample decklist for inspiration:

UR Vore by Adam Yurchick (http://www.deckcheck.de/deck.php?id=2722)

7 Island
7 Mountain
4 Shivan Reef
4 Steam Vents
1 Minamo, School at Water's Edge
1 Oboro, Palace in the Clouds

3 Magnivore
1 Meloku, the Clouded Mirror

4 Compulsive Research
4 Stone Rain
4 Eye of Nowhere
4 Sleight of Hand
3 Demolish
3 Wildfire
3 Tidings
3 Pyroclasm

4 Mana Leak

Sideboard:
4 Volcanic Hammer
4 Goblin Flectomancer
4 Repeal
3 Boomerang

Right off the bat, Scalding Tarn could replace four random lands, Preordain could replace Sleight of Hand, Firespout (and maybe 2x Stomping Ground or Breeding Pool) could come in for Pyroclasm, Flame Slash in for Volc Hammer, etc.

Maveric78f
08-21-2011, 04:34 PM
The fact your deck cannot deal efficiently with Tarmogoyf and Knight of the Reliquary is a real issue.

pryite199
08-21-2011, 04:47 PM
Unfortunately the best answer to those 2 in this deck are either doubling a widlfire with chandra or sideboarding either path to exile or journey to nowhere.

kaiserruhsam
08-21-2011, 06:41 PM
The fact your deck cannot deal efficiently with Tarmogoyf and Knight of the Reliquary is a real issue.

Or run the eye of nowhere and boomerang pseudo sinkhole plan from eminent domain.. Mana should be good enough for molten rain. Annex might be too cute but it can get you an early wildfire.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<cockatrice_deck version="1">
<deckname></deckname>
<comments></comments>
<zone name="main">
<card number="4" name="Boomerang"/>
<card number="4" name="Eye of Nowhere"/>
<card number="4" name="Stone Rain"/>
<card number="4" name="Molten Rain"/>
<card number="4" name="Annex"/>
<card number="4" name="Simian Spirit Guide"/>
<card number="4" name="Magnivore"/>
<card number="4" name="Flame Slash"/>
<card number="4" name="Scalding Tarn"/>
<card number="4" name="Shivan Reef"/>
<card number="4" name="Cascade Bluffs"/>
<card number="4" name="Steam Vents"/>
<card number="4" name="Island"/>
<card number="4" name="Mountain"/>
<card number="4" name="Wildfire"/>
</zone>
</cockatrice_deck>

For a starting point.

kicks_422
08-21-2011, 08:58 PM
I remember the old Emminent (sp?) Domain decks. That was the only time I dabbled in Standard, to be able to use that deck.

It was awesome, taking control of your opponent's lands and then blowing up the rest with Wildfire. I do agree that Goyf and Knight will be an issue though, but the deck did have Dream Leash for thsoe tiems when a Yosei or such was sneaked in.

perm
08-21-2011, 11:01 PM
I think ur magnivore will definetly be viable in modern, especially when you build It to hate this OP 12post garbage everyone will play, and stuff like fires out can take care of zoo

Tammit67
08-22-2011, 12:26 AM
Did someone say 'vore?

Rough list:

2 boseiju, who lets spells resolve
4 steam vents
4 scalding tarn
4 island
4 mountain
4 tectonic edge

4 ponder
4 preordain
4 lightning bolt
3 spell pierce
4 eye of nowhere
3 magnivore
3 wildfire
4 stone rain
4 molten rain
2 annex
2 dream leash
1 frost titan

Mr. Safety
08-22-2011, 11:56 AM

Think of the deck like MUC with red land destruction...so you can bounce a threat then counter it when they re-play it, or play some stealy/copy/tap cards:

Threads of Disloyalty
Vedalken Shackles
Sower of Temptation
Phyrexian Metamorph
Shapesharer
Shape Stealer
Gigadrowse
Slave of Bolas
Icy Manipulator
Tumble Magnet
Dominus of Fealty
Blind with Anger
Threaten
Mystic Restraints

And if you steal things...then Greater Gargadon gets really good.

pryite199
08-22-2011, 05:06 PM
What about Obliterate its legal along side Widlfire in this format. I will try to do some testing tonight and be back tomorrow with info (hopefully)

Mr. Safety
08-23-2011, 01:13 PM
Destructive Force is potentially better, just for being a little lower in mana cost. Obliterate is uncounterable though...which may be why you mentioned it. Eight mana is steep for a deck that blows its own lands up. The deck would have to use Seething Song out of pure neccessity.

hyperchord24
08-23-2011, 01:41 PM
form of the dragon just wins games. Destructive force is probably better than wildfire in this format. As far as mana ramp, no, you don't get Than Dynamo, but there's gilded lotus, the signets and talismen and coalition relic. You also don't get burning wish though, like the legacy wildfire deck.

You should just read the legacy wildfire thread. Lots of good ideas there. Some of them may even be modern legal

pryite199
08-23-2011, 05:47 PM
Well one of the appeals of Obliterate over D Force is that A it kills everything but Walkers (my main kill con) D force still has the same issue that Widlfires has that goyfs and Kotors and artifact based decks like Second Sunrise and Restore Balance.(Not that being slower then them isn't a problem in of itself.

mojoiskewl
08-23-2011, 10:58 PM
I have been steadily tweaking and testing my wildfire deck in cockatrice, plays a lot like the old CANG wildfire (mana+bombs). Nothing fancy like Vore or bounce spells, just solid ramping and wildfire-ing to steadily get advantage.

At first I wast troubled by big goyfs and KoTRs but steadly tweaking made the deck handle them a little bit better.

Here is my list

Them stones:
3 Coalition Relic
4 Everflowing Chalice
3 Forisiyan Totem
3 Mind Stone
3 Mox Opal

Dudes:
3 Kuldotha Pheonix
3 Wurmcoil Engine

Lands
4 Dread Statuary
14 Mountain
4 Tectonic Edge (as of late they are underwhelming and could be replaced)

Walker
2 Karn

Blow stuff up
2 Boom//Bust
2 Destructive Force
4 Slagstorm
4 Wildfire

Get back stuff
2 Crucible of Worlds

SB
4 Vexing Shusher (never used him yet)
3 Blood Moon (sometimes 12 post just gets a good start, slows them down for the wildfire)
4 Boiling Seas (I hate blue)
4 Pyroclasm

The deck plays like a traditional control deck, stabilizing at around 8~10 life for zoo,and around 12~14 for everything else. The Karns are there to help with the goyf + KoTR problem and the wurmcoils are just beastly against aggro (deals with goyf too). I have put in Koth before but he sucks as he does nothing to help and gets easily killed by angry nacatls. The phoenixes and statuaries are great for putting down a clock after Wildfiring.

The deck has a problem though of drawing into too much artifacts and not enough bombs. I may try to tweak the numbers around or just cut out stuff. Thinking of putting in bottled cloister as draw and as hate against black, got crushed by thoughtsieze+tidehollow sculler yesterday.

Also the SB needs more tweaking, though I find that I side in the pyroclasms every other match. Might put it in the main.

pryite199
08-25-2011, 08:02 PM
So after recent tweaking and testing I jumped into the MTGO Daily event today. Managed a 3-1 to finish in the prizes, beating a Dragonstorm, Aggro Elves!, and Grapeshot Pyromancers Swath decks. Losing to UWB Teachings in round 3.
Here is the deck.
4 Arid Mesa

8 Snow-Covered Plains
10 Snow-Covered Mountain
4 Boros Signet
4 Darksteel Ingot
4 Seething Song

4 Obliterate
4 Wrath of God
4 Path to Exile

2 Ajani Vengeant
3 Chandra, the Firebrand
2 Gideon Jura
1 Elspeth Tirel
4 Wall of Omens
2 Elspeth, Knight-Errant

Sideboard
2 Demolish
4 Kitchen Finks
3 Tormod's Crypt
3 Chalice of the Void
2 Ethersworn Canonist
1 Relic of Progenitus

The Demolish in the SB was very disappointing, but then I never played 12 post either.
Thoughts/Ideas/questions?

mojoiskewl
08-26-2011, 02:38 AM
Seems that we don't need wildfire anymore :(

May I suggest renaming the thread to R/W walker control?

Also, did you beat dragonstorm preboard?

pryite199
08-26-2011, 07:22 AM
Yes actually I did. I managed to land a quick Gideon and Chandra 2.0 followed with an Obliterate before he managed to combo out. I wouldn't count out Wildfires yet, especially since I played against Zero 12post.

pryite199
08-26-2011, 07:23 AM
Yes actually I did. I managed to land a quick Gideon and Chandra 2.0 followed with an Obliterate before he managed to combo out. I wouldn't count out Wildfires yet, especially since I played against Zero 12post.

rockout
08-16-2013, 03:43 PM
Sorry for bringing up a thread that has not seen the light of day in two years, but I remember this deck list just being plain unfair. You can almost run main deck blood moons as well to help certain match ups.

http://wiki.mtgsalvation.com/article/Standard_UR_Magnivore_deck

Lands
9 Island
5 Mountain
4 Shivan Reef
4 Steam Vents

Creatures
4 Magnivore

Instants
4 Boomerang

Sorceries
3 Compulsive Research
4 Demolish
4 Eye of Nowhere
4 Sleight of Hand
4 Stone Rain
2 Tidings
4 Volcanic Hammer
3 Wildfire

Any thoughts on viability? If it's goyf we need to worry about, we can run sowers or other ways to deal.