PDA

View Full Version : [Deck] Lolaphant

Tearnov
08-21-2011, 07:37 PM
Found this deck listing in a standard forum;I thought it could easily be good in modern.

//Lands - 23
4x Scalding Tarn
4x Misty Rainforest
4x Khalni Garden
4x Breeding Pool
2x Steam Vents
2x Stomping Ground
2x Island
1x Forest

//Creatures - 4
3x Massacre Wurm
1x Terastodon

//Spells -33
4x Awakening Zone
4x Explore
3x Growth Spasm
4x Mass Polymorph
4x Spawning Breath
4x See Beyond
4x Ponder
2x Lightning Bolt
2x Preordain
2x Gitaxian Probe

//Sideboard - 15
2x Lightning Bolt
4x Spell Pierce
1x Iona, Shield of Emeria
1x Platinum Emperion
1x Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
1x Stormtide Leviathan
3x Krosan Grip
2x Tormod's Crypt / Relic of Progenitus / Hurkyl's Recall

Basically, you use ramp spells and card selection to set up your Mass Polymorph. You get at least three tokens onto the battlefield and cast Mass Polymorph, making it very likely that you'll get two Massacre Wurms and a Terastodon. You put the Massacre Wurms' triggers on the stack first so they resolve after the Terastodon's. The Terastodon's "enters the battlefield" ability destroys three of your opponent's permanents. The two Massacre Wurms' triggers then resolve, killing the Elephants and all your opponent's other creatures with 4 or less toughness. If your opponent had two creatures with less than 4 toughness, he or she loses 20 life because of the Wurms and dies. If not, well, your opponent just lost at least 12 life and three permanents and you put 21 points of power onto the table.

4eak
08-21-2011, 07:49 PM
Glass cannon. If you can't resolve Mass Polymorph, you lose.
Turn 4 earliest, Turn 6ish usual. It is on the slower, less consistent end of combo decks.
It has few ways to stall or buy time (even something like blocking with your tokens actually slows you down, sadly). You'll often die before you could win.
It doesn't actually guarantee a win when you do go off (ouch).
Hate bears look exceptionally good against this deck (GSZ->Teeg is a common play), and you have few outs.
Creature removal interacts with the combo (eh, not my favorite vulnerability - yet another problem to face).
It looks somewhat dependent upon bad cards to put tokens into play. I'm wondering how we can improve this deck.

peace,
4eak

Tearnov
08-21-2011, 07:56 PM
Glass cannon. If you can't resolve Mass Polymorph, you lose.
Turn 4 earliest, Turn 5-6 usual. - Almost no ways to stall or buy time.
It doesn't actually guarantee a win when you do go off (ouch).
Has room to improve, but not much. It looks too dependent upon bad cards to put tokens into play.

peace,
4eak

oh, it definatly has room to improve, which is why I posted it here.
I think it does guarantee a win when you go off, there isn't much an oppent can do to stop the big creatures. If you get 3 Wurms, -6/-6 to all their stuff and that will kill almost everything they're playing, and they'll lose a lot of life. At worse you have 18-21 power on the board and that isn't GG, but it would be hard pressed for someone to fight that off.
It is slow, but so is this format, aside from Zoo and maybe affinity.
I still think it is a viable deck that has room to improve, again, why i posted it.

Tearnov
08-21-2011, 11:48 PM
I got drunk ,and love fun decks, so i thought about making it better, creature wise, and here is what i came up with

//Lands - 23
4x Scalding Tarn
4x Misty Rainforest
4x Khalni Garden
4x Breeding Pool
2x Steam Vents
2x Stomping Ground
2x Island
1x Forest

//Creatures - 4
1x Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre
1x Kozilek, Butcher of Truth
1x Progenitus

//Spells -33
4x Awakening Zone
4x Explore
3x Growth Spasm
4x Mass Polymorph
4x Spawning Breath
4x See Beyond
4x Ponder
2x Lightning Bolt
2x Preordain
2x Gitaxian Probe

//Sideboard - 15
2x Lightning Bolt
4x Spell Pierce
1x Platinum Emperion
1x Blazing Archon
1x Stormtide Leviathan
3x Krosan Grip

Tearnov
08-22-2011, 02:45 PM
Got sober, did some more thinking.
Here is the deck now.

//Lands - 23
4x Scalding Tarn
4x Misty Rainforest
4x Khalni Garden
4x Breeding Pool
2x Steam Vents
2x Stomping Ground
2x Island
1x Forest

//Creatures - 4
1x Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre
1x Kozilek, Butcher of Truth
1x Progenitus

//Spells -33
4x Call of the Herd
4x Explore
3x Growth Spasm
4x Mass Polymorph
4x Spawning Breath
4x See Beyond
4x Ponder
2x Lightning Bolt
2x Preordain
2x Gitaxian Probe

//Sideboard - 15
2x Lightning Bolt
4x Spell Pierce
1x Platinum Emperion
1x Blazing Archon
1x Stormtide Leviathan
3x Krosan Grip

Debating is splashing White instead of Red for Spectral Procession, Promise of Bunrei, Conqueror's Pledge, Even The Odds ,Martial Coup etc.
it might speed the deck up a bit

evanmartyr
08-22-2011, 06:44 PM
If you're gonna go with the "search up Eldrazi and hope that gets there" plan, ditch Mass Polymorph for regular Polymorph. It's hella faster, and it lets you go off at the same speed but + protection if you need to, while letting you throw tokens in the way of attackers if need be.

Does Spawning Breath seem really terrible to anyone else?

woremak
08-22-2011, 09:07 PM
If you want an instant kill with Mass Polymorph, 3 Hagra Diabolists makes your opponent lose 27 life I believe.

Mr. Froggy
08-22-2011, 09:32 PM
If you want an instant kill with Mass Polymorph, 3 Hagra Diabolists makes your opponent lose 27 life I believe.

I don't understand how it makes them lose 27 life... I might be blind though...

Tearnov
08-23-2011, 01:31 AM

ya.....
only the reg polymorph side, that might be better if im just gettin an eldrazi, but i still think i can speed up the deck and handle agro better if i switch white for red, still testing. i just like tossing 3 huge "time to scoop" creatures out at once.
and for 2 more mana i get 2 more creatures...maybe run 2 of each instead of 4 mass?

Tearnov
08-23-2011, 01:31 AM

ya.....
only the reg polymorph side, that might be better if im just gettin an eldrazi, but i still think i can speed up the deck and handle agro better if i switch white for red, still testing. i just like tossing 3 huge "time to scoop" creatures out at once.
and for 2 more mana i get at least 2 more creatures...maybe run 2 of each instead of 4 mass?

Maveric78f
08-23-2011, 01:41 AM

Each creature will trigger for the CioB of each creature (including itself). Each trigger will cause 3 life loss. 3*3*3=27

RainbowPenguin
08-23-2011, 04:21 AM
Yeah, very much a glass cannon deck. However, unlike something like Dragonstorm, it is not vulnerable to Ethersworn Canonist, an it is not particularly vulnerable to Mindbreak Trap either.

Some things to note:
This deck should definitely use Peer Through Depths.

It might want additional acceleration, like lotus bloom or some of the red rituals.

One possibly maindeckable answer to Mr. Teeg is Magma Jet.

When deciding on a kill condition, figure out how many creatures you will generally have in play when you resolve Mass Polymorph. Remember that they can kill your token in response to Mass Polymorph, giving you fewer flips.
If you can consistently get 4+, the best kill will likely be the Terastodon + Massacre Wurm kill. It leaves your opponent with 3 fewer lands, meaning that it will be unlikely that he or she can untap and wrath/draw and cast that final burn spell/combo off and kill you before you get to untap (this is definitely an issue for the version running Eldrazi).
If you can only get one or two token on average, the Eldrazi version might just be the best.
The Hagra Diabolist kill is nice and clean, but they will count the number of allies on resolution of each of their abilities. If you only get three, and your opponent can kill one of them in response, and is at 19+ life, or can kill two of them and is at 10+ life, you fizzle (assuming the remaining ogres can't get there in the combat phase, which is unlikely). Also, the ogres target, so they will be stopped by Leyline of Sanctity.

Thinking about it a bit more, I think the best idea might be to just run one or two Terastodons + one Emrakul. It is compact, will give you plenty of disruption, and it is not like you will actually need more 95 % of the time.