Lands
3 Plains
2 Mountain
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Reflecting Pool
4 Rugged Prairie
4 Arid Mesa
3 Inkmoth Nexus

i really like this deck back in standard how can we turn this for modern?

randomly.anonymous
08-22-2011, 08:32 AM
Should probably cut the SCG for more Ranger, especially since your 1-drop density is so high and MM is banned.

Birkardo
08-22-2011, 08:39 AM
Stoneforge Mystic is banned.

paeng4983
08-22-2011, 09:19 PM
interesting! im also liking modern these days.
and if there will be a tournament here, i might
bring either burn or boros. here's what i have in mind

creatures 25
4 g. guide
4 p. geopede
4 stepp lynx
2 G. bushwacker
4 Kor Skyfisher
3 Ranger of Eos
1 FOD
2 grim lavamancer
1 Akrasan Squire

land 24
4 rav dual land
4 arid mesa
4 scalding tarn
4 BW fetch
2 terramorphic expanse
4 mountain
2 plains

other spell 11
4 L.bolt
3 PTE
2 burst lightning
2 earthquake

regarding its SB, it will really depend in your local meta. here i'd expect:
merpok, JUND, UW, burn, affinity, U_base, mono B, kithkins
so i might have the ff as my SB

3 celestial purge
2 kataki's war wage
3 volcanic fallout
2 baneslayer angel
2 elspeth v.1
3 o.ring

The Source requires proper grammar, punctuation, capitalization, and sentence structure. Change your posting habits.
-4eak

Tearnov
08-23-2011, 01:33 AM
interesting! im also liking modern these days.
and if there will be a tournament here, i might
bring either burn or boros. here's what i have in mind

creatures 25
4 g. guide
4 p. geopede
4 stepp lynx
2 G. bushwacker
4 Kor Skyfisher
3 Ranger of Eos
1 FOD
2 grim lavamancer
1 Akrasan Squire

land 24
4 rav dual land
4 arid mesa
4 scalding tarn
4 BW fetch
2 terramorphic expanse
4 mountain
2 plains

other spell 11
4 L.bolt
3 PTE
2 burst lightning
2 earthquake

regarding its SB, it will really depend in your local meta. here i'd expect:
merpok, JUND, UW, burn, affinity, U_base, mono B, kithkins
so i might have the ff as my SB

3 celestial purge
2 kataki's war wage
3 volcanic fallout
2 baneslayer angel
2 elspeth v.1
3 o.ring

The Source requires proper grammar, punctuation, capitalization, and sentence structure. Change your posting habits.
-4eak

no Lightning Helix?

Maveric78f
08-23-2011, 01:57 AM
Boros needs 10 fetches, 4 Flagstones, 4 basics, 2 shocklands and 4 Ghostly Quarter.

Please cut this Skyfisher/Squire/Bushwacker/BurstLightning/arthquake crap and play proper creatures/burn, such as helix and searing blaze. You can also play Zekhtar Shrine Expedition. Even Emeria Angel might be interesting.

Maveric78f
08-23-2011, 01:57 AM
Boros needs 10 fetches, 4 Flagstones, 4 basics, 2 shocklands and 4 Ghostly Quarter.

Please cut this Skyfisher/Squire/Bushwacker/BurstLightning/arthquake crap and play proper creatures/burn, such as helix and searing blaze. You can also play Zekhtar Shrine Expedition. Even Emeria Angel might be interesting.

nightmaster
08-24-2011, 03:36 PM
Would running black for Dark Confidant main and things like discard, grave hate, Deathmark, etc in the board be worth or would that be too much life loss when combined with the fetches and shocks?

Borealis
04-30-2012, 05:49 PM
I realize this is months later, in a practically dead thread for a format that's going to be asleep for awhile now, but nonetheless, here it is:

I think straight R/W is the way to go for Boros. Bob is great and all, but I don't think we really need or want him in here. The best way to win with this deck is to play a must-answer threat every turn until they run out of options, then run them over. Discard is dead half the time, and Bob only helps when we have time to play catchup. In Boros, if we need to play catchup we are probably too far behind. Disruption is stronger than Discard, especially when it's in the form of hate-bears. And I'm hear to tell you that Thalia is the best thing to happen to this deck since Goblin Guide. Anyway, I'll be back on Boros next season, we can discuss it more then. :smile:

gkraigher
07-06-2012, 11:49 AM
This is the version I am looking to run at Grand Prix Columbus (if I attend)

Any suggestions would be nice. The mana curve is LOW.

4 steppe lynx
4 plated giopede
4 goblin guide
4 figure of destiny
4 silverblade paladin
4 Thalia, Guardian of Trabien
3 Gut Shot
3 Lightning Bolt
2 Lightning Helix
2 Forked Bolt
4 Path to Exile

4 Arid Mesa
4 Scalding Tarn
4 Marsh Flats
4 Sacred Foundry
3 Plains
3 Mountains

Sideboard:
2 Kataki, War's Wage
1 Shatterstorm
3 Surgical Extraction
4 Grafdigger's Cage
3 Mark of Asylum
2 open slots

Most of the cards in the main deck don't need much of an explanation. Gut shot seems really good in the format. It can act as a counterspell to Spellstutter sprite. As well as do a lot of other things.

In the Board, Grafdigger's cage seems like a hose against a lot of the format. It stops birthing pod and it stops reanimator decks. Surgical Extraction has proven itself too good (at least to me in legacy) so I included them as well. Stopping Lingering Souls is pretty huge. The other hate slots are in there for affinity, but I really don't know how this deck matches up against the others out there. It is more just a shell for now, and any cards I might have overlooked is my main reason for this post.

Mark of Asylum is good in a mirror match, as well as tech against pyroclasm (which frightens me) and bonfire of the damned.

Blood Moon seems like good filler for the last couple spots.

gkraigher
07-06-2012, 05:34 PM
The new Ajani could find a home as a 1 lot in the main deck, and I'm beginning to really like Kor Fire Walker.

Borealis
07-17-2012, 01:43 PM
Here is the list I've been brewing since last season:

4 Goblin Guide
4 Steppe Lynx
3 Grim Lavamancer
3 Figure of Destiny
4 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
4 Plated Geopede
2 Aven Mindcensor
2 Ranger of Eos

4 Lightning Bolt
4 Path to Exile
4 Lightning Helix

4 Scalding Tarn
4 Arid Mesa
4 Marsh Flats
2 Ghost Quarter
1 Boros Garrison
1 Slayer's Stronghold
3 Mountain
1 Plains
2 Sacred Foundry

Sideboard is still in flux. The deck is basically all the most efficient standalone threats, with Thalia and Mindcensor Providing some serious disruption along the way. I consider Thalia a cornerstone of the deck, as she slows down many if the unfair decks and gives us enough time to apply the early beats.

mishrazz
02-08-2013, 12:16 PM
I really like the modern boros burn deck. Aven Mindcensor is pretty good, but i have tried 2x maindeck Magus of the Moon instead. Great against the greedy manabase in modern. Also i play one Isochron Scepter. It's great with Lightning Helix and the new Boros Charm, i'm considering adding another one.
And why is there no love for Vexing Devil out there? Are the landfall dudes that much better?

JDK
02-08-2013, 03:01 PM
If you are referring to Steppe Lynx: Yes.

sillyandrew
04-20-2013, 02:48 PM
took the following list to a four-round modern FNM event last night, and was super happy with the results.

this list is a port of my legacy deck with the obvious changes made. i didn't have any boros charms but i picked them up before the match, and they were an all-star addition all night long. i'm also convinced that smash to smithereens is the go-to artifact hate in this deck, after playing with other options mainboard.

4 goblin guide
4 steppe lynx
4 vexing devil
4 keldon marauders
3 grim lavamancer

4 lightning bolt
4 path to exile
4 lightning helix
4 boros charm
2 shard volley
2 smash to smithereens

4 scalding tarn
4 arid mesa
4 marsh flats
3 plains
3 mountain
3 sacred foundry

s/b
1 thalia, guardian of thraben
2 mindbreak trap
2 shattering blow
2 duergar hedge-mage
2 sulfur elemental
2 forked bolt
2 arc trail
2 relic of progenitus

round one vs. eggs/second sunrise combo/math.dec

game one: i win the roll (i think) and keep a really fast hand but i don't know what he's playing. he starts dropping combo pieces and i have him at eight life with lethal on board/in hand but he combos off. i watch him carefully because i know how tricky it can be to go off sometimes, and i almost catch him off guard will a well-timed smash to smithereens, but he stops to think and combos through it. i lose turn four but because i made him play it out this game took more than a half hour. 0-1

-4 path to exile, -1 grim lavamancer, +1 thalia, +2 shattering blow, +2 mindbreak trap - i only own one thalia, and wanted to put more of her in the board, but this was the best i could do.

game two: i'm on the play and keep a fast seven without any sideboard cards. i slow him down with an early smash, and steppe lynx + fetches with a grip full of burn gets me there before h is eggs can go off. 1-1

game three: i draw a mindbreak trap and thalia in my opening seven, drop thalia turn two, and he can't get going before i burn him out. 2-1

round two vs. r/g tron

game one: i win the roll, drop a turn one lynx and pass. he drops forest, plays ancient stirrings, taking a tron piece and passes. turn two i top deck another lynx with three fetches still in hand and the cats get me there really fast. 1-0

-3 grim lavamancer, +2 shattering blow, +1 duergar hedge-mage

game two: i mull to six with a no-lander, and my hand is slow but has two paths and a shattering blow, so i keep knowing that his go-to is wurmcoil. he trons out a fairly early karn, and i misplay but get rid of it the following turn, after he exiles a keldon marauders of mine. i exile a few wurmcoil engines, but i just can't find the gas and i scoop with lethal on the board. 1-1

game three: i keep a fast seven, exile his big dudes and punch with my little ones. 2-1, 2-0 on rounds

round three vs. uwr midrange (i get the downpair, and i'm happy about it.)

game one: (i think) he wins the roll and passes after a land drop, and deals with a few of my early creatures. once i know what he's playing i know i'm in trouble and i just try to grind it out as fast as i can but i can't deal with geist and die to angels with an empty board. 0-1

-2 smash to smithereens, +2 arc trail

game two: i keep a super fast seven, and get there before he has a chance to stabilize. i don't remember much about this game, but looking at the life totals, i think the only damage i took was from turn one fetch, shock, and turn two fetch. 1-1

game three: this game takes forever, and it's really close the whole time. in the final few turns i do a good job of keeping him on edge by bluffing with two lands in my hand, but it's clear he has the superior board advantage a i scoop to lethal in the form of a collonade. the game was super close, and i'm frustrated, but he was a good player. 1-2, 2-1 on rounds.

round four vs. goblins

game one: (i know he's playing goblins, and i'm pretty happy about the match-up, especially post-board when i can bring in four two-for-ones.) he wins the roll, and we both open fast, but i punt the game on turn four when i don't bother to look at what's in my hand, and let a lord swing with beefed-up minions while i had a path to exile in hand, and blockers that could've killed his attackers without the lord buff. i notice what i did when i drew my next card, and i lose shortly after that. not happy, but i chalk the loss up to it getting late, poor excuse. 0-1

-2 smash to smithereens, -2 shard volley, +2 forked bolt, +2 arc trail

game two: he mulls to six. i keep a fast seven without any sideboard cards, and my creatures are bigger than him. i win turn four/five. 1-1

game three: it's close, and by this point all i can think about is punting game one and trying not to do it again. i keep an opening seven with an arc trail and a forked bolt, and two-for-one some tokens and little dudes, but i don't have much action aside from that, and the race begins. when i lose he has six life and i have a burn in hand. i'm in top-deck mode and pick a land. disappointing, stupid loss, but that happens. 1-2, 2-2 on rounds.

i leave with a single booser pack prize pay-out and four hours of magic for the five dollar entry fee. not too bad for my first time playing modern. shout-out to everyone who came out to card kingdom, i had a blast and met some cool people.

i did a lot of deck tinkering before the tournament started, and i have to say that the list i think i've settled up on is pretty optimal for this sort of build.

nedleeds
04-26-2013, 04:44 PM
Report to follow:

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/--DybwwJf84E/UXmQ-S1Xj1I/AAAAAAAABL8/ee_GDNdYMo8/s1200/IMAG0183.jpg

sillyandrew
05-18-2013, 01:49 PM
i never liked the boros list with ghost quarters and flagstones, but i've been giving a little more consideration to plated geopede. in a list like mine, that opt for the straight-foward sligh approach, is plated geopede worth it? twelve fetches makes me think so, but i want to get a few outside opinions.

in my list i think i'd just drop keldon marauders for them, since they're both two drops. or maybe the correct switch would be -1 keldon marauders, -2 shard volley, and +3 plated geopedes, running a 3/3 split of each of the two drop creatures. opinions?

ghostfire86
05-27-2013, 06:42 PM
My build is completely non traditional and is built more towards RDW. I call this Heaven's Inferno:

4 Vexing Devil
4 Goblin Guide
3 Grim Lavamancer
4 Ash Zealot
4 Boros Reckoner
3 Hellrider

3 Basilisk Collar

4 Lightning Bolt
4 Lightning Helix
3 Boros Charm
2 Char

4 Arid Mesa
2 Scalding Tarn
4 Mountain
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Clifftop Retreat
4 Rugged Prairie

sillyandrew
06-16-2013, 02:11 AM
i took boros to a top 8 today, playing the modern side event of the PTQ that card kingdon put on.

my list was identical to my post a few previous to this one, except i dropped the two mindbreak traps in the sideboard for two gut shots because i expected to see a lot of infect.

round one vs. jundvine

game one: i lose the roll, but keep a pretty solid seven, and i have answers for all of her creatures. i see fuana shaman and expect vengvine but don't see any this game, probably because i dealt with the fuana shamans right away.

game two: i keep a hand of three lands and four burn/removal and see three path to exiles for her two vengvines and something else. it's a long, grinding game, but i manage to one for one all of her threats, and she land floods when she gets into top deck mode. the turn i win, guide reveals a lethal demigod of revenge from the top of her library, and turn to late. 2-0

round two vs. UWr midrange

my notes from this round are sketchy, probably because this is a horrible match-up for boros, and i was expecting to get promptly 0-2'd. i stole game two by burning him out in response to a sphinx's revelation, but i can't tell you much else about our round. we go three games, go to turns, and he wins on turn two. 1-2

round three vs. affinity

game one: i don't remember who wins the roll, but he burps out four or five dudes on his first turn and i'm able to keep him in check with paths and a lavamncer. i find more burn than he can find dudes, and two and we're off to game two pretty quickly.

-2 smash to smithereens, -2 shard volley, +2 arc trail, +2 forked bolt (i saw lots of little dudes game one, and decided the two-for-ones were better than the straight artifact removal.

game two: he mulls to five, burps out all five of his cards on his first turn, but top decking isn't kind to him. he does surprisingly well for having to mull to five cards, but burn and steppe lynx gets me there soon enough. 2-0

round four vs. gruul aggro

game one: i knew my opponent was playing gruul aggro before we sat down, and i wasn't quite sure how to feel about the match-up. after two games, i feel pretty confident that we have the edge, but it probably comes down to the player who has the most removal in hand winning. this game is a lot of quick back and forth, and i burn him out with two lives left.

game two: this game takes forever. it's even more back and forth than the first game, but just like gome one, he hits topdeck mode before i do and conservative playing gets me there. i missplay at one point trying to bolt a burning-tree, to which he responds with a colossal growth i knew he was holding, but it ends up not mattering. 2-0

round five vs living end

game one: i keep one of the best opening hands i could hope for, and win on turn three or four before he has a chance to do anything other than play lands and cycle creatures.

-2 smash to smithereens, -2 grim lavamancer, +2 relic of progenitus, +2 arc trail

game two: he mulls to five (could have been six, i don't remember) and cycles a lot of dudes but can't find a third land for his cascade spells. i win on turn four again. 2-0

after five rounds of swiss, i'm 4-1-0 and my breakers sneak me into the top 8. by this point i'm tired and my eyes are stucking to bug out, but i'm hopeful. i get paired against the only opponent in the top eight whose deck i haven't been able to peek at between rounds, and i lose in two games.

top eight vs. gifts control

game one: i keep a weak seven but i'm too afraid to mull to six since i have no idea what my opponent is playing. gets elesh norn on the table and wipes my board, but i have a path for her the next turn. my topdecks are all lands, and i lose to timely reinforcements and a snapcaster mage.

-2 smash to smithereens, -2 shard volley, +2 arc trail, +2 forked bolt (for some reason it never crossed my mind to board in the sulfur elementals, and this probably costs me game two.)

game two: almost identical to last game, i race out some dude, he land elesh norn, i path her, and my topdecks are all lands, this time more painfully so, and i never get him below eleven life. for 1/1 white tokens kill me. 0-2

i walk away with two verdant catacombs for my time, and the top four splits shortly after.

all in all, super stoked on the way boros played. the maindeck smash to smithereens didn't do much all day, but i never saw any equipment or birthing pods, so they're probably still worth the maindeck slots. the sideboard needs some work, notably the hedge-mages almost never get sided in and could easily be something else.