PDA

View Full Version : [Deck] Superfriends

4eak
08-22-2011, 06:53 PM
This is a control deck built around Planeswalkers. Given that Planeswalkers seem fairly powerful in this format (just in terms of power levels), a deck built around them might fair well in certain local metagames (I don't know about the more general metagame). It is highly customizable. Many build stick to a UWx or UWxy in color scheme.

I'm just going to start off with some lists and quick thoughts. I'm sure others have much more experience with this archetype - please post your lists and thoughts.

Superfriends - UWr

// Lands - 23
2 Island
2 Plains
1 Mountain
2 Hallowed Fountain
1 Steam Vents
1 Sacred Foundry
4 Scalding Tarn
4 Arid Mesa
2 Glacial Fortress
2 Nimbus Maze
2 Celestial Colonnade

// Walls - 8
4 Wall of Omens
4 Wall of Denial or Plumeveil

// Superfriends - 9
3 Jace Beleren
2 Elspeth, Knight-Errant
3 Ajani Vengeant
1 Gideon Jura

// Control - 20
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Lightning Helix
4 Path to Exile
4 Mana Leak
4 Cryptic Command

// Sideboard
SB: 4 Meddling Mage
SB: 4 Spell Pierce
SB: 3 Wrath of God
SB: 3 Oblivion Ring
SB: 1 Pulse of the Fields

Red gives us access to more tempo-oriented control cards. I like Wall of Denial here; he's very hard to get rid of and holds off very large creatures. It seems easy enough to put Punishing Fire and Grove of the Burnwillows in this deck - also a consideration.

Superfriends - UWg

// Lands - 24
2 Island
2 Forest
1 Plains
2 Hallowed Fountain
2 Breeding Pool
2 Temple Garden
4 Verdant Catacombs
4 Misty Rainforest
4 Seaside Citadel
1 Celestial Colonnade

// Creatures - 12
4 Noble Hierarch
4 Tarmogoyf
4 Knight of the Reliquary

// Superfriends - 10
3 Garruk, Primal Hunter
3 Elspeth, Knight-Errant
4 Jace Beleren

// Control - 14
4 Path to Exile
3 Bant Charm
3 Voidslime
4 Cryptic Command

// Sideboard
SB: 3 Wrath of God
SB: 3 Rhox War Monk
SB: 3 Condemn
SB: 3 Spell Pierce
SB: 3 Meddling Mage

I think Goyf and KoTR are probably the best "walls" in the format. This version has some powerful counters. RWM is very nice against aggro and Zoo. Noble Hierarch might look weird, but the deck is very mana hungry, and having 3 mana on turn 2 is pretty sweet.

I don't know if this archetype will have any immediate impact at all. I do think that once the metagame settles a bit and evolves at a more controlled pace, it is possible this deck will be a come-and-go contender.

peace,
4eak

The Treefolk Master
08-22-2011, 08:09 PM
If you do not add P. Fire to the first deck (Fire is awesome in aggro metagame); you could try a basic heavy list, in order to be able to beat 12-Post.

I'm so sad that I can't play the Mind Sculptor :'(.

kaiserruhsam
08-22-2011, 11:12 PM
Jace 3 sits nicely behind walls, gideon, and elspeh tokens. And for any of these, don't forget rings.

08-24-2011, 04:25 AM
The mana requirements in the second list just seem brutal. UUU for Command, GGG for Garruk and WW for Elspeth just seems like it would be inconsistent. Venser (the planeswalker) also seems like a good card to have around in a deck packing Wall of Omens and Jace 1.0 as it makes for a draw engine that ends in a win condition. Karn might be useful as a 1 of removal piece as well for other planeswalkers/Emrakul