PDA

View Full Version : [strategy]Reanimation in Modern?

Mr. Safety
08-24-2011, 08:27 AM
I've been having great success with Eternal Witness and Makeshift Mannequin so far in modern.

My big question is this: with Gifts Ungiven, is there a package of 4 creatures that would be really good alongside Makeshift Mannequin as big bombs reanimator-style?

Firefraise
08-24-2011, 08:50 AM
Jin Gitaxias? he may let you discard some other bombs and draw some other mannequins. And if he threatens you with his mass draw ability you just have to target him with something.

Sheoldred could fit too since her ability is in the theme.

And the modern-legal common targets for reanimate, like Iona.

Mr. Safety
08-24-2011, 09:24 AM
Hell yeah, Jin Gitaxias looks pretty good to me! Ditto with Sheoldred, but I think Gitaxias is a better effect. Card advantage, FTW! Here I was thinking Terastodon or Angel of Despair...but those look good to me as well.

Maveric78f
08-24-2011, 11:29 AM
I don't believe a single second that reanimator can be good as a combo deck. I don't see it be strong as a control kill neither.

Facts:
1/ In Modern, combo kills turn 3 with no protection or turn 4/5 with protection. Gift Ungiven strategy for reanimation, is a turn 4 play with reanimation on turn 5 and kill 2 or 3 turns later.
2/ In legacy, Reanimation is strong because of Jin. Jin means you get protection for it at the end of your turn and thus that your opponent is going to discard out his hand next turn. Plus Jin offers new reanimation targets since the draw 7 generally implies a discard at end of turn. In Modern, you lost FoW, Mental Mistep, Daze, Misdisrection, therefore, you can't protect Jin from your opponent's spells. You can't prevent the opponent from combo-winning neither.
3/ You don't have the Show and Tell plan B.

Just look at the legacy deck. Besides the creatures, which cards are legal in Modern? Ponder and that's all.

Brushwagg
08-24-2011, 01:05 PM
Empyrial Archangel, Simic Sky Swallower, and Sphinx of Jwar Isle are pretty good with MM since the target clause they gain doesn't matter.

I've been thinking of poosibly running a reanimator deck as well.

Mr. Safety
08-24-2011, 04:08 PM
Empyrial Archangel, Simic Sky Swallower, and Sphinx of Jwar Isle are pretty good with MM since the target clause they gain doesn't matter.

I've been thinking of poosibly running a reanimator deck as well.

Thanks, that's what I was looking for...big dudes with Shroud. I was also thinking of entering-the-battlefield effects like Angel of Despair, but if I play Makeshift Mannequin on Simic Sky Swallower? Awesome. It's in my colors of BUG, too...meaning in a pinch (late game it) can be hardcasted.

Fuzzy
08-24-2011, 06:06 PM
I'm sorry, but why MM while you still have Zombify?

(nameless one)
08-24-2011, 06:35 PM
If your gonna Makeshift Mannequin, why not just reanimate Emrakul and bash face?

perm
08-24-2011, 07:43 PM
If Jin-Gitaxias is used, just do storm combo

Mr. Safety
08-25-2011, 01:32 PM
I'm sorry, but why MM while you still have Zombify?

Instant speed my friend: Makeshift Mannequin

Concerning Emrakul...that would take some tricky timing, considering that Emrakul shuffles not only himself but all of my goodies into my library when he goes into the graveyard.

So far, my top picks are (in order of preference):

Angel of Despair
Iona, Shield of Emeria
Reya Dawnbringer
Empyrial Archangel
Inkwell Leviathan
Sphinx of Jwar Isle
Akroma, Angel of Wrath
Kodama of the North Tree

I may go with Kodama and Sphinx...the can both be concievably hardcasted and don't need Gifts/Mannequin to make them work all the time. I like Reya...getting back stuff for free during my upkeep would be awesome! Sun Titan can do the same, but with only 3cc or less.

I could also just go with the utility route and use these:

Acidic Slime
Angel of Despair
Kokusho, the Evening Star
Keiga, the Tide Star
Meloku, the Clouded Mirror
Chameleon Colossus
Thrun, the Last Troll

My initial testing will be with Reya, Angel of Despair, and Iona alongside Gifts, Fauna Shaman, and Makeshift Mannequin. I'll tell you how it works out...

Sims
08-25-2011, 01:37 PM
Instant speed my friend: Makeshift Mannequin

Concerning Emrakul...that would take some tricky timing, considering that Emrakul shuffles not only himself but all of my goodies into my library when he goes into the graveyard.

It's doable I'd just be more worried about getting your opponent to split the piles correctly. You'd need like, 8 mana, and gifts for Footsteps of Goryo, Makeshift, Emrakul, and either Ulamog or Kozilek.... but it seems like an awful lot of hoops to jump through for that.

Mr. Safety
08-25-2011, 01:51 PM
It's doable I'd just be more worried about getting your opponent to split the piles correctly. You'd need like, 8 mana, and gifts for Footsteps of Goryo, Makeshift, Emrakul, and either Ulamog or Kozilek.... but it seems like an awful lot of hoops to jump through for that.

Exactly...which is why I'm going for the simpler approach of Iona, AoDespair, and Reya.

I'm also really curious about Fauna Shaman in modern...there's the obvious goodness with Vengevine, but what about a straight up Reanimation enabler? Good with Gifts, even if they let you keep the fatties in your hand rather than discard. You can always discard the fatties with Shaman, then reanimate them later (and at the same time digging out good stuff like Shriekmaw, Mulldrifter, Eternal Witness, and Vendilion Clique)

Hell, in her flavor text it even mentions 'evoke' by name...