PDA

View Full Version : North West New Brunswick Legacy Tournament

JCLe
08-26-2011, 04:17 PM
Let me explain to you why I am organizing this tournament. First of all, we don't have any MTG shops in the region but we have a reasonably sized legacy scene. Recently, I lost interest in Legacy, largely due to the mental misstep metagame which I loathe more than any other metagame, so I began thinking about selling a big part of my collection and keeping my deck. Instead of going through the hassle off selling my cards through MOTL, I thought it would be a great idea to organize a tournament and use my collection as prizes. By doing so, I will be able to enjoy a tournament with my favourite deck and keep it, while at the same time offering a very nice prize pool to really get everyone interested and actually selling a part of my collection fast and easy. I'll sell the rest when I'm done, maybe to participants who want to buy (*hint hint I will make bulk deals) then the rest on the net. Here is the info about the tournament:

Date: October 1st 2011

Location: St-Jacques Elementary School's Cafeteria (Google maps link: http://maps.google.ca/maps?q=%C3%89cole+St-Jacques&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=fr&tab=wl)

Registration Time: 8:00 Eastern time/ 9:00 Atlantic Time (New-Brunswick Time)
1st Round starting around 9 ET/10 AT

Entry Fee: 20$

Prizes: The top 8 will receive a percentage of the amount of money we got from the entry fees in the form of credit to buy cards from a card pool.

1st place: 35%
2nd place: 25%
3rd-4th place: 10%
6-8th place: 5%

The card pool will contain a large selection of Legacy staples, including a wide selection of dual lands. A picture of the card pool will be posted shortly, I still have to figure out what I'm willing to offer as prizes. All prices will be based on Magic Traders prices, and I will try to avoid offering cards that are affected by all this modern nonsense (not that I have a lot of those anyways). In this way I will not be making any unfair profit : that is not the goal.

We anticipate at least 30 local players will attend the tournament so the minimum prize pool would be:

1st place: 210$ worth of cards
2nd place: 150$ worth of cards
3rd-4th place: 60$ worth of cards
5-8th place: 30$ worth of cards

I will have a pre-made picture with cards and their prizes and people will be able to see it here and at the tournament site. People can break playsets and take any card they want, prizes will be picked from 1st place to 8th place.

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll239/JCrock91/2011-09-28230135.jpg

prices based on MOTL prices. (magic traders, look it up)

Note that I am planning on setting up a featured table for the Top 8 and we will post the games on Youtube shortly after the tournament. The Tournament results, top 8 deck lists, and a link to the featured games will be posted in this thread later.

I will also have a crew which will probably be huge : consisted of a retired friend who will come to have a good time and look around as a judge when needed, who will take care of pairings and just running the tournament in general. I will help around when I have time and when he needs help but he's done this before so he will be fine. I will be playing a deck which is pretty fast (spoiler alert, you guys can metagame against me) so I'll have time between rounds. My friend has the DCI pairing program so everything will go as it should in a regular sanctionned tournament.

Hope to see you at the tournament, help me out and come have fun!
JCLe

JCLe
09-08-2011, 09:53 PM
We've recently come up with some problems in the organization of the tournament. After contacting most of the local players, we decided to postpone the event. Since most of them want to attend GP Montreal and the Innistrad Pre-release, we need to postpone the event to the 1st of October.

New date: October 1st 2011

All additional info remain unchanged.

The prize pool will be posted next week.

Sorry for the inconvenience,
JCLe

JCLe
09-29-2011, 12:36 AM
updated with prize pool

PLEASE NOTE THAT MENTAL MISSTEP WILL BE LEGAL FOR THE TOURNAMENT DUE TO THE POSTPONING (THIS IS BAD FOR ME SO THERES NO BIAS)

JCLe
10-02-2011, 12:16 AM
great tournament, everything will be posted in a few days...

I'll start editing videos for the top 8 tomorrow (got a couple features of myself there) and the decklists and results etc.

Thanks for all who came, was a great tournout !! We actually had about a dozen newcomers and all but a couple from the local scene came, congratz on the prizes guys.