PDA

View Full Version : Aaron Forsythe confirms WotC will reprint modern staples

DrJones
08-27-2011, 06:07 PM
Mark Rosewater and MtgSalvation were claiming that Aaron Forsythe was saying outrageous things on GGSLIVE, so I went there, and that's what I found:

Forsythe confirms on @ggslive: "We will reprint staple cards from Modern, we don't want the same issues as Legacy" @mtgaaron

death
08-27-2011, 06:18 PM
There's nothing surprising about this, considering the fact that no Modern card is on the Reserved list.

DrJones
08-27-2011, 06:20 PM
Well, it's likely WotC will not reprint FoW nor Mana Drain and they aren't on the reserved list, but the prices of modern staples such as Tarmogoyf and the shocklands will surely become affected after this announcement.

TheInfamousBearAssassin
08-27-2011, 06:23 PM
That was the entire point of having Modern as a format so yeah no shit there I was.

jancz
08-27-2011, 06:46 PM
Well I should hope so. But I mean How will they do it? Obviously any standard environment that has such staples will be warped in a sense. I guess they could always do reprints in like duel decks and other non standard legal things.

Sims
08-27-2011, 08:10 PM
Well I should hope so. But I mean How will they do it? Obviously any standard environment that has such staples will be warped in a sense. I guess they could always do reprints in like duel decks and other non standard legal things.

It also depends on what staples we're referring to. Likely the most notable are going to be shock-lands. In the correct standard environment they will obviously encourage multicolor play but won't warp things too horrendously.

Other staples such as Confidant and/or Goyf would need to be carefully placed, but again they could be printed without overly warping the metagame they become present in.

TheInfamousBearAssassin
08-27-2011, 08:19 PM
Or they just put them in a duel deck or something, which seems much more likely.

DrJones
08-27-2011, 08:35 PM
Or give them as promos for event attendance.

edgarps22
08-27-2011, 10:25 PM
Or they could just put Bob in an environment he sucks in, read Ravnica Standard. Heck right now he would not be a good card in standard because of the mana costs, ow that Gideon just nuked 1/4 of my health, yeah I am slightly better off for it, but I might also be dead. He is not as bad in Standard as he is in Modern or Legacy. Same goes for Tarmogoyf. Yes he is good, but without fetchlands, he does not grow particularly fast. He would be good, and strong, but not overpowering. As long as they keep the rest of the Standard environment in mind, a new cycle of printings in standard is just fine.

bakofried
08-28-2011, 04:45 AM
Call me crazy, but I don't know if standard would really suffer if 'Goyf, Stalker, and Rav Duals were all in Innistrad block. Goyf will be kept small by lack of fetchlands, Lavamancer, and Stalker, Rav Duals aren't busted w/o fetches (see SoM Duals) and stalker is about on par with Phyrexian Obliterator for standard.

TheInfamousBearAssassin
08-28-2011, 05:00 AM
I mean Wizards has the demonstrated ability to keep cards' value reasonably low ($10-20 even for high-demand cards) via Duel decks, etc., there's no reason to reprint them in Standard for that alone.

Dune Echo
08-28-2011, 08:04 PM
So clearly Legacy and Vintage are dead or dying in WotC's eyes. All because WotC decided to go against all proper business practices and implement an ill-conceived "promise" to protect the secondary market's "investment" more than a decade ago. Good job at completely invalidating the reason I started playing Magic in 1994, WotC! You know, to play the cards I bought and purchased... No one in my shop wants to play Legacy any longer because of Modern and my LGS is even considering going with a Modern-only Commander format now.

Secondarily, the problem isn't that Wizards is "promising" they will reprint "staples" but A) what does WotC consider to be staples and B) when is WotC finally going to get around to reprinting them? Tarmogoyf and the shocklands and fetchlands are how much on the secondary market right now thanks to the demand in Legacy, Modern, and Commander? Ajani vs. Bolas certainly didn't help us there with Firemane Angel, Loxodon Hierarch, Kird Ape (mythic in FtV:E!), Ageless Entity, Ajani Vengeant, Searing Meditation, Titanic Ultimatum, Dimir Cutpurse, Blazing Specter, Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker, Cruel Ultimatum, Profane Command, or Undermine. It would have been a great time to presell this "we will reprint staples" idea by including one or more of staple cards like fetchlands, shock lands, Tarmogoyf, Grove of Burnwillows, or any number of other cards besides Lightning Helix (which has been printed, reprinted, and then given an FNM version). Are they going to try to cash in on Modern with Event Decks like they are trying to do with Standard?

Are we going to see Modern Reborn in another ten years when blue has once again taken over the entire format and another generation of MTG cards completely discarded in order to further fuel corporate profits? :rolleyes:

I don't think this is the death of Magic by any stretch of the imagination. All I'm saying is that it's not just the current crop of cards, players, or R&D that got Magic where it is. Those things deserve a place in Magic too.

dahcmai
08-28-2011, 08:44 PM
<Insert random comment about Yu Gi Oh commons>

I just hope we aren't going in that direction. I'll assume most of you know how they work out the reprint strategy in that game. I don't play it, but I have heard. It's scary.

Phoenix Ignition
08-28-2011, 09:06 PM
<Insert random comment about Yu Gi Oh commons>

I just hope we aren't going in that direction. I'll assume most of you know how they work out the reprint strategy in that game. I don't play it, but I have heard. It's scary.

No?

I don't follow Yu Gi Oh

kaiserruhsam
08-28-2011, 09:56 PM
Ghost quarter is in Innistrad.

TheInfamousBearAssassin
08-28-2011, 10:55 PM
So had anyone mentioned how Wizards had already modified the Reserved list in the past to drop all the commons/uncommons on it, making the insistence on keeping it the same ten years later utterly pointless and insane?

I only mention it because I had no idea that Juggernaut, Regrowth, etc.. had been on the reserved list until recently, that change happened just before I started getting back into Magic.

dahcmai
08-29-2011, 12:50 PM
No?

I don't follow Yu Gi Oh

They tend to reprint anything overly expensive as a flood of commons. You can have a $1000 card one day and it's a 10 cent common when a newer set comes out. Very annoying. Glad I never played that one. The speculators would have heart attacks over it.

(nameless one)
08-29-2011, 02:31 PM
They tend to reprint anything overly expensive as a flood of commons. You can have a $1000 card one day and it's a 10 cent common when a newer set comes out. Very annoying. Glad I never played that one. The speculators would have heart attacks over it.

Its funny because back in the day, I used to play it. I quit because when I was in high school, it was cheaper to play Magic. Now its the other way around.

Its funny because just recently, I was contemplating on building an Honest deck in Yugioh. It essentially played like Ichorid.

Then Modern got announced. It felt like Legacy post Flash-ban, when a lot of decks were actually considered as Tier 1.5.

iamkan0
08-29-2011, 03:12 PM
http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g432/iamkan0/DarkConfidant.jpg
please tell me this is for real!

Jeff Kruchkow
08-29-2011, 03:27 PM
http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g432/iamkan0/DarkConfidant.jpg
please tell me this is for real!

Check the bottom. Not only did they do a piss poor job of replacing the RAV symbol with INN, Innistrad doesn't have 306 cards.

DrJones
08-29-2011, 04:30 PM
Innistrad doesn't have cards specifically reprinted for modern, because modern didn't exist at the time of design. So any reprint is there just for flavor.

Julian23
08-29-2011, 05:00 PM
The speculators would have heart attacks over it.

Great. Let's adopt that.

Dark Ritual
08-29-2011, 06:01 PM
Yeah I heard about the reprint strategy in Yugioh...just unreal. Imagine cracking a pack of say Zendikar and seeing underground sea in the common slot. The idea itself makes me cringe; foils would be worth 2 dollars and japanese/russian foils would be worth 5 or perhaps more lol. The thought of spending one quarter for an underground sea in 2011 alone is terrifying.

Yeah, I doubt WotC would do that though. Reprinting the shocklands as anything less than rare would destroy some peoples' confidence in having cards maintain a value to them. Shocks if reprinted should be around 10 dollars apiece IMO same with other staples like goyf and co.

Wonder how they'll reprint some of these cards like goyf. Right now he's at 100 a pop. The statement made by Aaron of twitter barely affected his price he dropped a little bit but not much.

But yeah if WotC didn't do this I'm 100% sure modern wouldn't have survived with the crippling prices right now.

SpikeyMikey
08-29-2011, 07:17 PM
Yeah I heard about the reprint strategy in Yugioh...just unreal. Imagine cracking a pack of say Zendikar and seeing underground sea in the common slot. The idea itself makes me cringe; foils would be worth 2 dollars and japanese/russian foils would be worth 5 or perhaps more lol. The thought of spending one quarter for an underground sea in 2011 alone is terrifying.

Yeah, I doubt WotC would do that though. Reprinting the shocklands as anything less than rare would destroy some peoples' confidence in having cards maintain a value to them. Shocks if reprinted should be around 10 dollars apiece IMO same with other staples like goyf and co.

Wonder how they'll reprint some of these cards like goyf. Right now he's at 100 a pop. The statement made by Aaron of twitter barely affected his price he dropped a little bit but not much.

But yeah if WotC didn't do this I'm 100% sure modern wouldn't have survived with the crippling prices right now.

I imagine it and it sounds wonderful. I bought my first playset of seas at 8 each for mint revised.

mishrazz
08-29-2011, 07:43 PM
yay!
I love Legacy, but i can't afford another expensive format like that. Modern has great potencial, but high prices scare new players away. One of the reasons almost all Legacy players are 25-35 years old with steady income. Teenagers and students are excluded on financial reasons. Shocklands at 30$, and goyf at 95$ is just sad, and im glad wizards chose to do something about it. They say they regret the whole reserved list, but a promise is a promise, and collectors all over the world appreciate that.

GGoober
09-07-2011, 08:22 PM
Check the bottom. Not only did they do a piss poor job of replacing the RAV symbol with INN, Innistrad doesn't have 306 cards.

Also Dark Confidant will be a chick, instead of you know, Bob, because some hot action with his brother Meddling Mage is bound to happen if he's reprinted.

JTAubrey
09-07-2011, 09:38 PM
I see cards like goyf etc. as future GP promos. It doesn't flood the market entirely, but there will be twice as many GPs and therefore more promos than in the past. It also solves the problem of reintroducing them into standard environments and having a one off mechanic (i.e engineered explosives)

Shocklands (at least allied) are pretty much a guarantee for reprint in a set though. I wouldn't be surprised to see the allied fetches somewhere farther down the line as well.