PDA

View Full Version : Innistrad in Modern

(nameless one)
08-27-2011, 09:55 PM
For those who are unaware, some of the cards got spoiled at Pax.

While flashback is back as a mechanic, there are also a couple of new mechanics:

Morbid - when this creature enters the battlefield, if a creature died this turn, do something.

I believe this mechanic can be broken with Birthing Pod.

Meet a certain criteria: this creature transforms

I am still uncertain how exactly a creature transforms.

Enchantment - Aura Curse

Kinda like Kamigawa's Shrine perhaps?

Also, there's a cycle of enemy M10 dual lands.

All can be found here (http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/showthread.php?t=351173)

Discuss

edgarps22
08-27-2011, 10:20 PM
The transform mechanic is all on the card. Generally there is a new set of power/toughness above the normal one that it becomes, for instance the new Screeching Bat goes from a 2/2 to a 5/5. There are just different things needed for each transformation. In the case of the bats, 2BB during an upkeep.

DrJones
08-27-2011, 11:24 PM
So, double-sided cards with no card-back in Innistrad. True story.

Aggro_zombies
08-28-2011, 12:15 AM
So, double-sided cards with no card-back in Innistrad. True story.
Can't wait to be drafting this set and watching other people to see who's taking transforming cards and for which picks.

Also, lolz at needing a special card or opaque-back sleeves to play the transform cards. This mechanic seems like it generates way too many headaches.

KevinTrudeau
08-28-2011, 12:27 AM
I have no idea how this mechanic got past the brainstorming stages of Innistrad design; this is just an inelegant version of flip. I'm glad I don't draft anymore.

Aggro_zombies
08-28-2011, 12:35 AM
I have no idea how this mechanic got past the brainstorming stages of Innistrad design; this is just an inelegant version of flip. I'm glad I don't buy boosters or draft anymore.
It's actually probably a better execution of a modal card than flip cards were. It allows for much more text and it's easy to clearly identify which mode you're currently dealing with, with the downside being you have to have sleeves or one of the "special checklist cards".

Nevertheless, I hate the idea of there being cards without Magic backs, so yeah.

Kich867
08-28-2011, 01:17 AM
Can't wait to be drafting this set and watching other people to see who's taking transforming cards and for which picks.

Also, lolz at needing a special card or opaque-back sleeves to play the transform cards. This mechanic seems like it generates way too many headaches.

Why wouldn't transform cards have a backing, the transform is on the front of it O.o I just don't get the point of the level-up style mechanics, they never function well.

Aggro_zombies
08-28-2011, 01:50 AM
Why wouldn't transform cards have a backing, the transform is on the front of it O.o I just don't get the point of the level-up style mechanics, they never function well.
No, the "day" side of the card is on the front and the "night" side is on the back. The card does not have a regular card back.

Phoenix Ignition
08-28-2011, 03:09 AM
No seriously, how is this supposed to be draftable? And do they expect people to never play the cards in constructed? What are the official rules on me taking my card out of its sleeve and putting it in backwards?

I dunno Wizards, I'm doubting there are any good answers to those concerns, assuming the morph backflip cards are not just bad rumors.

phonics
08-28-2011, 08:31 AM
They should have just released transformed cards in the token slot, or as an ad face. As it is now with 2 sides and the work around checklist card is just incredibly clunky.

TheInfamousBearAssassin
08-28-2011, 08:35 AM
It's actually probably a better execution of a modal card than flip cards were. It allows for much more text and it's easy to clearly identify which mode you're currently dealing with, with the downside being you have to have sleeves or one of the "special checklist cards".

Nevertheless, I hate the idea of there being cards without Magic backs, so yeah.

It's a much worse execution of flip. I mean it's the same mechanic except in exchange for more text space you are fucking up limited. And having to represent your card with another card in a deck is the most terrible inelegant thing I think I've ever seen in Magic design. Including on MTGSally. This is like a mechanic I would have shot myself for even thinking about submitting for the GDS, it's just a really greedy and inelegant thing.

rufus
08-28-2011, 10:23 AM
It's a much worse execution of flip. I mean it's the same mechanic except in exchange for more text space you are fucking up limited. And having to represent your card with another card in a deck is the most terrible inelegant thing I think I've ever seen in Magic design. Including on MTGSally. This is like a mechanic I would have shot myself for even thinking about submitting for the GDS, it's just a really greedy and inelegant thing.

Well, I guess it's so you've got a use for all those Squire cards.

If you want an elegant version of flip:

Sacrifice this: Search your library, hand, or graveyard for a copy of some other card and put it on the battlefield. Only play this ability when...

(A bit like Sift Through Sands.)
...still terrible, but not as bad.

Aggro_zombies
08-28-2011, 01:39 PM
Well, look at it this way: this is a horror block. Is this flip mechanic sufficiently horrifying to you?

TheInfamousBearAssassin
08-28-2011, 01:50 PM
Well, look at it this way: this is a horror block. Is this flip mechanic sufficiently horrifying to you?

Touche.

dahcmai
08-28-2011, 08:48 PM
It could be worse. They could crack open at the middle and make a little pop up book style card. then have a little dial with points on it and you make them attack with 6 sided dice. Yes, it could be much worse.

Mr. Safety
08-29-2011, 08:10 AM
The 5/4 demon with Phyrexian Arena built in is pretty sexy...fair at 3BB, too.

Astrix
09-07-2011, 03:08 PM
Mr Safety i think we found the first card that is auto include 4of in modern
Blaspemous Act! it will replace reaper king or progenitus and limit dragonstorm copies
It is a sorcery which can be found with peer through depths and can be splased with 1 steam vents and wreck UR storm empty the warren tokens.
UR storm players now have trouble and have to play around it by storming for less
or casting bushwacker kicked with haste to dodge it.

Mr. Safety
09-12-2011, 10:46 AM
Where is Blasphemous Act? I can't find it...I was referencing Bloodgift Demon.

Elbeano
09-12-2011, 02:11 PM
It could be worse. They could crack open at the middle and make a little pop up book style card. then have a little dial with points on it and you make them attack with 6 sided dice. Yes, it could be much worse.

Sounds like the old gatefold cards from Dragonball Z...