PDA

View Full Version : [Deck] R/u Storm

Beatusnox
08-28-2011, 02:53 AM
Hello all,

First Modern Deck so I am unsure just how great it will be. I haven't had the chance to play test it yet, but while I am waiting for Hurricane Irene to come and be a huge disappointment, I figured I would brew up a deck for the new format.

Overall, I like the premise behind the deck and fell that it could be solid, if those more versed in the format could lend a hand in its refinement.

As the title states it is a Red/blue storm deck.

Lands:20
2 Snow-Covered Island
4 Steam Vents
4 Scalding Tarn
3 Cascade Bluffs
4 Shivan Reef
3 Snow-Covered Mountain

WinCons:9
3 Pyromancer's Swath
4 Grapeshot
2 Ignite Memories

Cantrips:16
2 See Beyond
4 Ponder
4 Manamorphose
4 Gitaxian Probe
2 Compulsive Research

Acceleration:11
3 Rite of Flame
4 Desperate Ritual
4 Seething Song

Protection:4
4 Remand
Deck Total: 60

Sideboard:15
SB: 4 Repeal
SB: 4 Blood Moon
SB: 2 Slagstorm
SB: 3 Noxious Revival
SB: 2 Ignite Memories

Card total: 75

Pricing through starcity from complete scratch: $225.21 USD.

Blood Moon in the board to hurt 12 post along with Additional Ignite Memories. Slagstorm against zoo and other small creature decks. Noxious Revival against any U/B or Black control that causes discards, or to double cast a storm spell if needed. Repeal is Generic hate against creatures or other nasty permanents that I do not want to see.

08-28-2011, 03:41 AM
I REALLY don't like the low land count. Also, Remand is the best counter in modern. Without actually picking this deck up i can already say
-4 Mana Leak
-3 Rune Snag
+3 Land
+4 Remand
Have you done any goldfishing with the deck?

Beatusnox
08-28-2011, 03:57 AM
with the list I had posted, I was consistently able to go off turn 3-4 and sometimes as spikey as turn 2. A turn one Warrens for stupid amounts is possible though rare. The varied win package through storm seems like it makes me resistant to random Extirpates/Surgical. Is the format on the whole so light on counterspells that Only the 4 remand for protection is viable? I have never had a chance to play/See the format so I am unsure of how exactly to construct around it.

Also Considering adding Manamorphose either in place of the Stars or cutting back the Guides.

08-28-2011, 04:24 AM
The way the format is being built, there is no real counter heavy control. With no Counterspell, Misstep, or FoW, decks seem to be looking more towards dealing with threats as they resolve. Teachings based control will probably be the most popular as far as decks that actually plan to counter spells. Add Rite of Flame too, totally missed that card first go around. You might also be better off dropping Storm Entity as it really isn't much of a threat (most decks can deal with it for 2 mana or chump it into oblivion).

Beatusnox
08-28-2011, 04:28 AM
Could drop the entity for the rites(forgot they were legal <_<), Will add remands, Drop stuff for more lands. I think going from 1 to 2 boseiju may be a good call.

Kanti
08-28-2011, 05:38 AM
You beat me to it. Ignite Memories is crazy in this format. Definite 4-of in the 75 as versus some decks you can just ramp to 5 and kill them.

See Beyond is your turn 2-3 cantrip. I play a lot of gy hate since there are a lot of gy decks. Living End, Melira, Pyromancers Ascension. Noxious Revival is what I'm testing vs discard. Blood Moon is of course there for the 12-post match. Even though we probably beat it handily I'm sure x4 Moon than Remand there.

// Lands
2 [IA] Snow-Covered Island
4 [GP] Steam Vents
4 [ZEN] Scalding Tarn
1 [TSP] Molten Slagheap
2 [TSP] Calciform Pools
3 [EVE] Cascade Bluffs
1 [IA] Snow-Covered Mountain
2 [ZEN] Misty Rainforest
1 [AP] Shivan Reef

// Spells
4 [RAV] Remand
2 [ROE] See Beyond
4 [FUT] Pyromancer's Swath
4 [SHM] Manamorphose
4 [LRW] Ponder
4 [TSP] Grapeshot
4 [CS] Rite of Flame
4 [NPH] Gitaxian Probe
4 [MR] Seething Song
4 [TSP] Lotus Bloom
2 [TSP] Ignite Memories

// Sideboard
SB: 2 [TSP] Ignite Memories
SB: 2 [NPH] Noxious Revival
SB: 3 [GP] Repeal
SB: 4 [TSP] Blood Moon
SB: 4 [ALA] Relic of Progenitus

vs 12Post; -2 Swath, -4Remand +2 Ignite Memories, +4 Blood Moon

vs Living End; -2 See Beyond, -2 Swath, -2 Probe, +2 Ignite Memories, +4 Relic. Might wanna side out Remand on the draw

vs Zoo; -2 Ignite, -4 Probe, -1 Remand +3 Repeal, +4 Blood Moon. If you're on the draw side out all Remands.

vs Deathcloud; who the hell knows. Play more ignites here.

etc etc etc

1maarten1
08-28-2011, 10:44 AM
Thoughts on this:
2 Fungal Reaches
6 Island
3 Mountain
4 Scalding Tarn
4 Shivan Reef
1 Steam Vents
20 lands

4 Compulsive Research
4 Desperate Ritual
4 Grapeshot
4 Manamorphose
4 Ponder
4 Preordain
4 Pyromancer's Swath
4 Remand
4 Rite of Flame
4 Seething Song
40 other spells

Sideboard
4 Empty the Warrens
4 Goblin Bushwhacker
4 Repeal
3 Slagstorm

Seems pretty strong to me

Kanti
08-28-2011, 02:46 PM
This deck is crazy. Good call on the Research, though I'd only play 2-3 of them.

You need to run Ignite Memories. Thats half the reason to play the deck pretty much. In a meta dominated by 12post Ignite is amazing.

You should also play with Probe. That card is ridiculous. Coupled with Manamorphose you start getting a lot of storm pretty quickly.

Beatusnox
08-28-2011, 03:02 PM
Just proxied up a 12 post list to test against..... Hit ignite memories on storm 6, hit emrakul 3 times..... I hybridized the two lists you guys suggested, I dislike the storage lands, so I chose to not run them, but that is really the only difference.

Will update the OP shortly.

Kanti
08-29-2011, 02:30 AM
Even against certain Zoo decks Ignite for 6+ will kill them. 3cc is not bad to hit.

Ignite is just insane. I find myself siding it in so much that I might run some more in the main deck.

I found my deck for Modern until Innistrad makes Dredgevine better. Losing to 6-7 Glimmerpost activations. Weeeeeeeeee.

Edit: You need to run x4 Rite of Flame. Need to. x3 Swath is whatever, I prefer 4 I can always draw it and just discard/shuffle away any extras.

Beatusnox
08-29-2011, 02:53 AM
Even against certain Zoo decks Ignite for 6+ will kill them. 3cc is not bad to hit.

Ignite is just insane. I find myself siding it in so much that I might run some more in the main deck.

I found my deck for Modern until Innistrad makes Dredgevine better. Losing to 6-7 Glimmerpost activations. Weeeeeeeeee.

Edit: You need to run x4 Rite of Flame. Need to. x3 Swath is whatever, I prefer 4 I can always draw it and just discard/shuffle away any extras.

I am considering Dropping See Beyonds completely for another rite, and a Singleton Empty the warrens. I still like being able to drop empty the warrens and push for a win with goblins If I have to, I have also considered cutting Manamorphose down to 3 as it tends to be my flex card slot anyway.

Kanti
08-29-2011, 04:24 AM
I've since cut x1 Morphose and went up to x3 See Beyond. The drawing power of that card is badass.

Mr. Safety
08-29-2011, 07:53 AM
This is an exciting combo deck, and FINALLY one that doesn't rely on a turn 4 Bloom un-suspension.

I played against this deck on MWS, and the guy was using Claws of Gix (time-shifted version) along with Hatching Plans. Solid draw tech there, and the life-gain helped gain time against the aggro decks (I was playing cat sligh, and he beat me soundly game 1. He didn't stick around for g2...bummer.) You really only need 1-2 lands to combo out if you have the right mix of Rituals.

He also used a full playset of Compulsive Research, which I thought was pretty good. His combo turn was turn 4, but I felt like it could have happened a lot sooner. He was using Swath + Grapeshot, and I didn't see any Ignite Memories...but he may have had them in there. I only played one game.

1maarten1
08-29-2011, 08:35 AM
Well the original swathstorm list had Hatching plans + Perilous research. But that was before preordain. Also the list that was brewed at that time was for extended when (I think) compulsive research was not legal in extended. I like preordain and compulsive research because they are cards that work well on their own. Hatching plans needs a card to sac it, which is very good when you have it but worse when you dont.

Kanti
08-29-2011, 01:16 PM
Yeah, you don't need Hatcing Plans. You might need Research but I've been happy with See Beyond so far.

Ignite Memories is definately needed. That card is crazy.

Mr. Safety
09-01-2011, 07:51 AM
I am definately building this deck. Check out today's decklist on magicthegathering.com, a guy went 4-0 with it. He SIDEBOARDED Splinter-Twin! How sick is that? He's pulling it off Show and Tell Hive Mind/Emrakul style, which I think is really cool.

Personally, I think I will be putting some protection in the sidboard (Gigadrowse, Echoing Truth, Lightning Bolt, and Annul.)

What do folks think the right mix of win/cons is? I'm thinking Grapeshot/Ignite Memories 3/2 respectively.

Whatcha think? Here's my initial rough list.

Draw/Dig
4x Gitaxian Probe
4x Ponder
4x Preordain
4x Manamorphose

Protection
1x Pact of Negation
4x Remand

Acceleration
4x Desperate Ritual
3x Pyretic Ritual
4x Rite of Flame
4x Seething Song

Combo Pieces
4x Pyromancer's Swath
3x Grapeshot
2x Ignite Memories

Lands
5x Island
6x Mountain
1x Scalding Tarn
4x Shivan Reef

Sideboard
4x Annul
3x Echoing Truth
4x Gigadrowse
4x Lightning Bolt

I REALLY like Remand in this deck, it's just about perfect. I like how I can counter my own spell when I have a ton of mana so I can convert it into a cantrip.

metalhead
09-01-2011, 09:09 AM
You should really be playin peer through the depths. Digging 5 at instant speed to find the ritual u need to go off next turn is good and it digs deeper than anything else available on the turn your comboing an have to find shot/memories

Mr. Safety
09-01-2011, 12:22 PM
Will do, no problem. Do I drop Preordain for it?

Kanti
09-01-2011, 04:14 PM
I don't like the 4-0 deck. No Remand seems really bad , like really bad. It's a time walk. and helps you combo. No Ignite also seems pretty shabby as well. I think he shoulda replaced Visions with See Beyond if he is going for balls to the wall combo.

Play 4 Grapeshots. It is the main win condition of the deck. Past the obvious Swath+Shot combo you can win so many games simply going Shot+Shot, Shot+Ignite, etc. Shot also helps deal with Canonist on your combo turn if you have a Bloom. as it unsuspends, you cast Shot for 2 and hopefully combo off.

Why are you guys cutting Bloom? Even Desire decks used to play it. It is like an auto win if you cast it on t1 as the mana you receive from it is just insane. Sure it's a shit topdeck but that's what we have See Beyond for.

// Lands
2 [TSP] Calciform Pools
1 [EVE] Cascade Bluffs
1 [ZEN] Misty Rainforest
1 [TSP] Molten Slagheap
4 [ZEN] Scalding Tarn
3 [AP] Shivan Reef
2 [IA] Snow-Covered Island
1 [IA] Snow-Covered Mountain
4 [GP] Steam Vents

// Spells
4 [NPH] Gitaxian Probe
4 [TSP] Grapeshot
2 [TSP] Ignite Memories
4 [TSP] Lotus Bloom
4 [SHM] Manamorphose
4 [LRW] Ponder
4 [FUT] Pyromancer's Swath
4 [RAV] Remand
4 [CS] Rite of Flame
3 [ROE] See Beyond
4 [MR] Seething Song

// Sideboard
SB: 4 [9E] Blood Moon
SB: 1 [GP] Gigadrowse
SB: 3 [5E] Hurkyl's Recall
SB: 2 [TSP] Ignite Memories
SB: 2 [NPH] Noxious Revival
SB: 3 [GP] Repeal

Recall is there since Affinity is just that fast. a t2 Plating/Master/Atog/etc mixed with Fling will take them all the way very easily. Recall sadly isn't that great vs 0cc creatures but it does the job.

Revival might need to back up to a 3-of as I fear GB strategies to be rampant. Doran seems like a sick deck. Lynx, Loam Lion, Doran, Spellskite, discard. Holy crap.

Admiral_Arzar
09-01-2011, 05:27 PM
My question here is: why all the lands? This deck runs 16+ nonland mana, as well as a million cantrips. You don't need 20+ lands, and will just flood horribly during the combo turn. Also, test Ideas Unbound, it's pretty ridiculous during said combo turn. Keep in mind that you can also use the janky ETW + Bushwhacker plan as a win condition, although I'm not sure how good it is. ETW on turn 1 will get you there the majority of the time.

EDIT: I'm also considering a black splash for Spoils of the Vault or Plunge into Darkness, as I think both are superior to Peer Through Depths.

Kanti
09-02-2011, 12:10 AM
You want to drop a land every single turn. I run 19 and I think thats enough, as at 20 I was getting a little flooded, but I don't think I'd run any less than that as I only run Ponder. Lands also make your sideboard answers better. Repeal, Blood Moon, and Gigadrowse all need your deck to make consistent land drops.

Unless you run Preordain+Serum you are only going to cast Ponder and See Beyond pre-combo. Probes are saved for the combo turn.

Spoils would just kill you. Between fetch mana and Probe damage you are going to die. Probably the same with Plunge. Infernal Tutor might be alright but I don't think it's worth it.

EtW seems alright, I might need to test it. I woudn't run Bushwacker though, too much sideboard space.

Admiral_Arzar
09-02-2011, 09:09 AM
You want to drop a land every single turn. I run 19 and I think thats enough, as at 20 I was getting a little flooded, but I don't think I'd run any less than that as I only run Ponder. Lands also make your sideboard answers better. Repeal, Blood Moon, and Gigadrowse all need your deck to make consistent land drops.

Unless you run Preordain+Serum you are only going to cast Ponder and See Beyond pre-combo. Probes are saved for the combo turn.

Spoils would just kill you. Between fetch mana and Probe damage you are going to die. Probably the same with Plunge. Infernal Tutor might be alright but I don't think it's worth it.

EtW seems alright, I might need to test it. I woudn't run Bushwacker though, too much sideboard space.

I've experimented with 13-14 lands and had little in the way of mana screw. When you play 16+ cantrips, it really doesn't matter, you can keep one-land hands all day long and you will draw more (not like this deck needs more than 1-2 lands to combo anyway). The issues I had were 1. Lack of business spells and 2. Lack of rituals. The first one can be rectified by running quasi-tutors like Spoils and Plunge. The second there really isn't much of a solution to (especially with Chrome Mox banned). My point is, "lack of lands" was never really an issue. Plunge will never kill you unless you're stupid enough to pay more life than you have at the time. Spoils might, but it remains to be seen whether the danger is worth the speed (I'll be experimenting).

I play Probe rather differently than you do, which makes Spoils/Plunge stronger for me. I don't necessarily save them until the combo turn, and may hardcast them before because sometimes (usually) knowing your opponent's game plan is worth using them early.

Beatusnox
09-04-2011, 11:21 PM
sorry for being away for awhile interwebs at home isbroken so posting on phone.

Anywho, in my testing cutting down to 18 lands and adding two empty the warrres has done a few things. One it adds to our threats, which are fairly light before doing so. It also gives the deck a win condition that is slighty cheaper than swath into memories which while not always needed is good.

HokusSchmokus
09-14-2011, 05:54 PM
What about the new Yawgmoths Will-esque spoiler? Do you think it will make the cut?

Beatusnox
09-14-2011, 09:35 PM
has the official text been spoiled yet to say instants and sorcerys for the ability or is it still either or? and what was its casting cost? At 3-4 it is extremely playabe at any rate. I would probably run it as a two or three of would test slimming the ritual package because of the ability to recur it.

Elle
09-15-2011, 02:30 AM
Either istant or sorcery cards in your graveyard gains flashback beacouse in the text of past in flames there isn't a choice to make.

@Beatusnox there is no card with the type "istant and sorcery"

Beatusnox
09-15-2011, 11:30 PM
@Beatusnox there is no card with the type "istant and sorcery"

If the card reads "Instant and sorcery cards" in its ability text then it would effect both. If it says "Either instant or sorcery" then its either one or the other. If it says "Each instant or sorcery" then it hits both.

Mr. Safety
09-19-2011, 08:52 AM
Just curious: what are the Snow-Covered basics for in the OP? Was there an original inclination to use Skred or Scrying Sheets? It just has me puzzled is all...

HokusSchmokus
09-19-2011, 04:12 PM
Past in Flames officially says Each Instant and Sorcery.
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=173939736017927&set=a.173939689351265.41910.141524005926167&type=1&ref=nf

Sims
09-19-2011, 04:19 PM
I forsee living the dream with Past in Flames...

glass cannon starting hand: Fetch, Rite, Rite, song, song, past, grapeshot

Weeeeeeee.

But more realistically. I can see running this as probably a 2 of? You don't necessarily need it every game but it's probably really good when you see it. I can't say as I haven't proxied up and tested it yet in modern, but I can imagine it having some impact.

HokusSchmokus
09-19-2011, 04:24 PM
Yeah but - Grapeshot + EtW or Ignite Memories though.

Sims
09-19-2011, 04:28 PM
Yeah but - Grapeshot + EtW or Ignite Memories though.

Except that Etw has to win to the combat step on the next turn, that grapeshot is lethal turn 1.

Ignite Memories you'd have to use a lower storm count due to mana restrictions, but that *should* be lethal. Hope your opponent isn't playing Eggs and just gets themselves dingged for 0-1 on each of your copies.

HokusSchmokus
09-19-2011, 04:30 PM
Except that Etw has to win to the combat step on the next turn, that grapeshot is lethal turn 1.

Ignite Memories you'd have to use a lower storm count due to mana restrictions, but that *should* be lethal. Hope your opponent isn't playing Eggs and just gets themselves dingged for 0-1 on each of your copies.

Maybe I am just not seeing this bc it is too obvious or I am too dumb for this. How is Grapeshot lethal turn 1? Seriously I can get to 10 storm.+
Edit:NVM it was too obvious.

Sims
09-19-2011, 04:35 PM
Maybe I am just not seeing this bc it is too obvious or I am too dumb for this. How is Grapeshot lethal turn 1? Seriously I can get to 10 storm.+
Edit:NVM it was too obvious.

The beauty of Past, It has flashback itself. Being able to Double shot for the win with past, assuming there are enough ritual effects, is what really makes this card shine in modern to me. It opens up a few extra lines of play that wouldn't be possible otherwise.

That much might already be obvious, but giving your deck even 1 or 2 extra lines of play to win *now* while still having flashback and giving yourself the ability to combo off again if they time their countermagic right is awesome.

Antonius
09-19-2011, 05:55 PM
Passed in Flames seems to make this a lot more powerful.

4eak
10-22-2011, 09:50 PM
This list hasn't been terrible for me:

// Lands - 17
1 Island
1 Mountain
4 Steam Vents
4 Scalding Tarn
2 Misty Rainforest
2 Shivan Reef
3 Mr. Safety (http://magiccards.info/query?q=Halimar+Depths&v=card&s=cname)

// Cantrips - 20
4 Serum Visions
4 Sleight of Hand
4 Gitaxian Probe
4 Peer Through Depths
4 Manamorphose

// Rits - 12
4 Pyretic Ritual
4 Desperate Ritual
4 Seething Song

// Tits - 11
3 Remand
4 Grapeshot
4 Past in Flames

Grapeshot needs to be cast twice (sometimes 3 times) in order to win. The major barrier for the deck is reaching critical mass of Rit effects. Past In Flames is a great source of storm generation, and with enough rit effects, it generates more mana than it cost you. Remand is also classically good with storm, it buys time, provides some protection, and allows you to Remand your own Grapeshot to recast it.

This is a straight glass cannon (as previously mentioned). It will never be tier one (GY hate has been ridiculously good against this deck), but it may still see play, I don't know.

peace,
4eak

SpikeyMikey
10-24-2011, 12:28 AM
Why no Ignite Memories? I would think you'd want a 4/2 split with Grapeshot just so you increase your percentage chance of seeing one. Would suck to start going off and not be able to find a wincon. Otherwise, something with transmute would work too, but...

mojoiskewl
10-24-2011, 01:55 AM
// Rits- 12
4 Pyretic Ritual
4 Desperate Ritual
4 Seething Song

// Tits - 11
3 Remand
4 Grapeshot
4 Past in Flames

New Deck name: Rits n' Tits ohyes

TossUsToLions
10-24-2011, 02:07 PM
This list hasn't been terrible for me:

// Lands - 17
1 Island
1 Mountain
4 Steam Vents
4 Scalding Tarn
2 Misty Rainforest
2 Shivan Reef
3 Mr. Safety (http://magiccards.info/query?q=Halimar+Depths&v=card&s=cname)

// Cantrips - 20
4 Serum Visions
4 Sleight of Hand
4 Gitaxian Probe
4 Peer Through Depths
4 Manamorphose

// Rits - 12
4 Pyretic Ritual
4 Desperate Ritual
4 Seething Song

// Tits - 11
3 Remand
4 Grapeshot
4 Past in Flames

Grapeshot needs to be cast twice (sometimes 3 times) in order to win. The major barrier for the deck is reaching critical mass of Rit effects. Past In Flames is a great source of storm generation, and with enough rit effects, it generates more mana than it cost you. Remand is also classically good with storm, it buys time, provides some protection, and allows you to Remand your own Grapeshot to recast it.

This is a straight glass cannon (as previously mentioned). It will never be tier one (GY hate has been ridiculously good against this deck), but it may still see play, I don't know.

peace,
4eak

My list is almost identical to yours, except I am playing black (and rainbow lands) for a couplePlunge into Darkness and Duress in the board. Spoils of the Vault may be interesting to try, too. Also, I am playing Empty the Warrens instead of Grapeshot as my wincon. You don't need as high of a storm count for EtW to be effective. But, I have played a few games where I can literally draw my entire deck, so I also play a singleton Grapeshot (in case they have WoG or Engineered Explosives or Firespout to deal with my Gobbo tokens), which can also be used to kill maindeck bears.

What's your SB looking like? I like Spell Pierce and Duress in there, and maybe Pithing Needle to deal with GY hate. I also have some Shattering Sprees, but it is difficult to decide what all we need since there aren't any major modern tourneys to look at.

4eak
10-24-2011, 02:39 PM
I thought about splashing for black. I'm not convinced it is worth it. Empty the Warrens is in my side, and I may move it to the main. I agree that 'winning small' is an important outlet for this deck - I think it is better than Ignite Memories as well. As for the rest of the side, I'm just not sure at this point. The deck can't really afford to side much in. Bounce, burn (hate-bears), and artifact hate are probably the way to go, but again, I'm not sure. I don't like counters in this deck, except Remand.

peace,
4eak

mojoiskewl
11-20-2011, 10:41 PM
From worlds 2011 video coverage
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDna5z_d-7s&feature=player_embedded

Sins of the Past
Simon Bertiou

Rituals
4x Desperate
4x Pyretic
4x Seething

Cantrips
4x Sleight
4x Serum Visions
4x Gitaxian Probe
4x Manamorphose
3x Ideas Unbound

Kill
4x Past in Flames
4x Grapeshot

Tech
3x Quicken (He said that he could not find the third, the actual list has a one-off Remand)

Lands
2x Island
1x Mountain
3x Cascade Bluffs
4x Scalding Tarn
4x Steam Vents
4x Shivan Reef

SB
3x Pact of Negation
2x Dispel
3x Shattering Spree
1x Gigadrowse
2x Echoing Truth
1x Wipe Away
2x Empty the Warrens
1x Trickbind

Mr. Safety
11-21-2011, 11:44 AM
There is a new red card that is a functional reprint of Careful Study, it is spoiled in another thread. It also has flashback...meaning it's an auto-include into this deck IMHO.

4x Serum Visions
4x Peer Through Depths
4x Gitaxian Probe
4x Remand
2x Ideas Unbound
4x Red Careful Study (Dark Ascension)
4x Desperate Ritual
4x Pyretic Ritua
4x Seething Song
4x Past in Flames
4x Grapeshot
2x Pact of Negation
16x Lands

I still like Peer through Depths, mostly because it grabs you a second Grapeshot or can set you up with a Remand/Pact to protect the combo.

Thoughts? I think the new filter spell will make the combo nuts-good, as in bonkers.

4eak
11-23-2011, 11:41 PM
I think you are overreacting.

Faithless Looting is not bonkers in this deck, it is anywhere from decent to barely playable in this deck (from what I can see). The discard effect needs to be leveraged as a crucial condition to winning (see Madness, Dredge, and Reanimator) in order for Careful Study effects to be even remotely worth running in a deck. The card disadvantage is absolutely terrible for most decks. Past in Flames is probably not improved enough to warrant the CADisadvantage of Faithless Looting.

peace,
4eak

Dsch
11-24-2011, 12:19 PM
In a list with Pyromancers Ascension (like Bob Maherīs one from worlds), it can work.

4eak
11-24-2011, 02:05 PM
It does fit with pyromancer ascension, which isn't so concerned about having a critical mass of cards in hand in order to go off.

peace,
4eak

Kanti
11-24-2011, 09:57 PM
Yeah that card doesn't seem too good here. We already have flashback.

However you guys should test Empty the Warrens over Quicken in the main-deck. It's amazing and you get some more side-board room to take care of Splinter-Twin.

Mr. Safety
11-25-2011, 10:28 AM
I think you are overreacting.

Faithless Looting is not bonkers in this deck, it is anywhere from decent to barely playable in this deck (from what I can see). The discard effect needs to be leveraged as a crucial condition to winning (see Madness, Dredge, and Reanimator) in order for Careful Study effects to be even remotely worth running in a deck. The card disadvantage is absolutely terrible for most decks. Past in Flames is probably not improved enough to warrant the CADisadvantage of Faithless Looting.

peace,
4eak

Yeah, a definate overreaction. I was getting all confused with Ascenscion/Swath/Past in Flames.

Hawaii
12-03-2011, 12:27 AM
I'm more interested in Finkel/Team Mythic's version of the Past in Flames deck. Gives you a "backup plan" of Ascension and is using the Desperate Ravings to dig you a little deeper. You gain Thoughtseize in the board but lose the ability to Quicken and kill at instant speed.

Thoughts?

Maindeck:

Enchantments
3 Pyromancer Ascension

Instants
4 Desperate Ravings
4 Desperate Ritual
4 Manamorphose
4 Pyretic Ritual
4 Seething Song

Sorceries
2 Empty the Warrens
4 Gitaxian Probe
4 Grapeshot
3 Past in Flames
4 Serum Visions
4 Sleight of Hand

Basic Lands
3 Island

Lands
4 Misty Rainforest
4 Scalding Tarn
2 Shivan Reef
2 Steam Vents
1 Watery Grave
Sideboard:

2 Echoing Truth
4 Lightning Bolt
2 Empty the Warrens
3 Shattering Spree
4 Thoughtseize

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

mojoiskewl
12-05-2011, 08:05 AM
I am sporadically durdling around with this particular build in cockatrice. I feel that ascension is just too slow against a zoo meta.

Wouldn't mind it seeeing it against blue though.

MrSoze
12-09-2011, 04:39 AM
My current build is a more dedicated Swath list:

4 Steam Vents
4 Sulfur Falls
4 Scalding Tarn
1 Island
6 Mountain

4 Sleight of Hand
4 Desperate Ritual
4 Pyretic Ritual
4 Seething Song
4 Past in Flames
4 Grapeshot
4 Manamorphose
4 Gitaxian Probe
4 Pyromancer's Swath
2 Noxious Revival
3 Desperate Ritual

Noxious Revival is in.sane. It allows you to win with Past in Flames by putting Swath back on top of the deck and drawing it with any number of cantrips. It gives many more lines either in hand or graveyard to just win, and it makes Desperate Ravings just nuts. I had 3 at one point, but I dropped to two.

The reason I'm posting is that I'd like to try out some other options to make it less of a glass cannon. You can beat some of the faster zoo draws, and midrange is a piece of cake, but mono-red/hyper-aggressive decks give me problems, since I goldfish on t4 most times. Not sure if there should be more card draw, i.e. Ideas Unbound/Serum Visions, or maindeck protection. Not sure what maindeck protection would even be at this point, honestly. Looking for input.

RaNDoMxGeSTuReS
12-09-2011, 02:42 PM
I'm playing something closer to Finkel's list from Worlds. I'm not a fan of the black splash for Thoughtseize. Starting on turn one at 15 life is pretty ridiculous.

Desperate Ravings vs. Peer Through Depths?

I'm siding with Peer Through Depths at the moment. Gets me what I need. It gets even better with an active Pyromancer's Ascension.

cmorndorf
12-10-2011, 09:11 PM
Hey guys,
Today I won a Grand Prix Trial at Pandemonium in Garden City, Michigan playing Matt Nass' version of the deck with a slight varient. It was a small tournament with only 9 players, but I went 2-1-1 in swiss winning against zoo, blue/black control; losing to mono red (storm was off by 2 to win); and intentionally drew with esper control to get into top 4. Semi's I won against Martyr of Sands combo, having to storm for 15, winning with 3 Grapeshots in the yard and some Lightning Bolts. Finals I won against esper control, game one the player forgot to pay for Pact of Negation, and then went off game three after he played a Wurmcoil.

Here's my list:
4 Serum Visions
3 Gifts Ungiven
4 Peer Through Depths
4 Desperate Ritual
4 Pyretic Ritual
4 Seething Song
4 Manamorphose
4 Past in Flames
3 Grapeshot
4 Remand
4 Lightning Bolt
2 Calciform Pools
2 Halimar Depths
4 Scalding Tarn
4 Misty Rainforest
2 Island
1 Mountain
2 Steam Vents
1 Breeding Pool

Sideboard:
1 Hallowed Fountain
3 Silence
2 Empty the Warrens
2 Krosan Grip
3 Engineered Explosives
2 Blood Moon
2 Echoing Truth

If you guys have any questions, let me know!