PDA

View Full Version : [Deck] RUG Burn

samurai_socks
08-28-2011, 09:56 AM
So I got tricked into playing a modern tournie yesterday.

I made this deck in about 11 minutes.

I was originally going to make Bant. I started building Bant then realized I did not have any rhox war monks in the shit I had with me, so I moved into RUG. So yeah orignally treetop village was in the deck to be fetched with that KOTR. I took KOTR out but forgot about ole treetop. I did win a game off him though.

Deck:
x4 Grove of the Burnwillows
x1 Dryad Arbor
x1 Treetop Village
x1 Mountain
x1 Island
x1 Forest
x3 Breeding Pool
x2 Stomping Grouds
x2 Steam Vents
x4 Scalding Tarn
x4 Misty Rainforest
24 - Way too many lands btw. Probs just cut treetop. The deck would also benefit from another 1-2 fetchlands.

x4 Noble Heirarch
x3 Grim Lavamancer
x4 Tarmogoyf
x4 Spellstutter Sprite - counters zoo's 1 drops, PTE, and Living End. Also I dont like playing decks wihout some sort of permission even if it is narrow.
x4 Vendilion Clique
x1 Trygon Predator
x1 Ohran Viper - MVP this guy is amazing. You can GSZ for him, he trades with goyf, he is silly with exalted since nobody wants to block him. Also he seems like the nuts in Doran. He is a sleeper hit for me in modern.

x4 Lightning Bolt
x4 Punishing Fire
x4 GSZ
X3 Ponder

SB / Or whatever other cards I could find.

x1 Sower of Temptation
x1 Thrun
x1 Sword of Feast and Famine
x1 Krosan Grip
x1 Ancient Grudge
x2 Pithing Needle
x3 Blood Moon - For 12-Post
x3 COTV - For Living End

Played against:

12-Post (2-1)

G1: Turn 6 Emrakul to finish me off. He would have been dead otherwise.

G2: Turn 2 Blood Moon.

G3: Turn 2 V. Clique getting rid of ole spaghetti head then dome him for 4 a couple times plus a bolt.

Living End (2-0)

G1: Turn 2 Clique Seeing - (Shriekmaw, Living End, BBE, Cycle dudes, Urborg, Mountain). He is at 18 from shock lands so I decide that I can race, so I take shriekmaw. Untap play 1 noble + GSZ for noble swing 6. He goes land go. I untap. Play GSZ for noble. Swing for 7. He untaps plays a shock land taking 2 and I bolt him to kill him.

G2: He puts me on the play. I T1 Chalice for 0 and play Grim Lavamancer. Just grind him out from there.

Posion (2-0)

G1: Bolt + Fires.

G2: Dryad arbor surprise blocker + spell stutter sprite on growth causes him to blow his load.

Naya Zoo - Vengevine (2-0)

G1: Setup Burns combo.

G2: He paths my turn 1 noble....so uhh yeah I clique him on turn 2.

Bant Colour Control (2-0)

G1: DOJ wrecks me but wait what...Treetop village is in my deck! 3 a turn does it.

G2: Burn heavy hand plus grim = death.

So I won a From the Vault: Legends for my troubles.

-Cheers-

umbowta
08-31-2011, 01:57 PM
I really dont know how to say this best, but Scalding Tarn and Misty Rainforest work well with the best card in the game, Island, and they mana fix into two great support colors. UGR tempo has been a great force in Legacy's past but unfortunatley for Modern loses Fow, Daze, and even Mental Misstep due to banning. These "free" counters are the backbone of the archtype and will be the hardest pieces to "replace" moving forward in Modern. That said, I feel we must try--and it's good to see you've thrown something together already, samurai_socks.

Can we come up with a counter/draw suite for a UGR Tempo build in Modern?

Here's what I've got so far.

4x Grim Lavamancer
4x Tarmogoyf
? 4x Quirion Dryad ? Is it even good enough in Modern?
2x Vendilion Clique

4x Lightning Bolt
4x Incinerate
3x Magma Jet

The hard part comes when selecting the right counters, since there is no defined meta yet. With 18 to 20 land this leaves 15-17 slots for Counters and Draw. Choices include:

Ponder
Serum Visions
Sleight of Hand
Telling Time ?
Think Twice ?
Spell Pierce
Spell Snare
Mana Leak
Remand
Hinder
Cancel
Any others?

I probably start out with something like this:

4x Ponder
4x Serum Visions
3x Spell Pierce
3x Mana Leak
3x Remand

I also think Repeal and Echoing Truth are worth consideration.