PDA

View Full Version : Panoptic Mirror Deck

(nameless one)
09-09-2011, 09:41 AM
Wasn't there a deck in Old Extended that abused Panoptic Mirror as a combo/control piece?

Can it be abused in Modern?

The reason why I asked is because I was looking through the Compact Combo thread when I encountered this combo that resembled Mizzium Transreliquat + Time Vault combo.

The combo: Panoptic Mirror and Savor the Moment.

It essentially gives you infinite turns. Though you do not get an untap step, you can just draw your library, play all your lands assemble whatever win condition you can.

Would it work?

rufus
09-09-2011, 10:12 AM
It essentially gives you infinite turns. Though you do not get an untap step, you can just draw your library, play all your lands assemble whatever win condition you can.

Would it work?

In the sense that the soft lock works, sure. 8 mana is comparable with Splinter Twin, so that's not that unreasonable either, though splinter twin's combo components are probably individually stronger. Once you get things on line, you can plausibly finish with another Panoptic Mirror combined with a business spell of your choice like Lightning Bolt.

daugarten
09-09-2011, 01:49 PM
Or ultimate with any Tezz planeswalker. Fits nicely into the colors and makes use of infinite turns while also being useful on their own without the combo.

Mr. Safety
09-10-2011, 09:41 AM
I'm trying this sort of setup with Spellweaver Helix, which is the old combo of Time Stretch + Raven's crime to take a ton of extra turns. I'm using Glimpse the Unthinkable to mill myself, along with a few other choice dredgers like Stinkweed Imp, and of course Life from the Loam to feed me lands for Raven's Crime. I typically Noxious Revival for a second Helix, then imprint Crime/Glimpse as my win/con. The problem? Eldrazis auto-reshuffle their graveyard, hosing that combo. I have included a singleton Lava Axe for 12-post setups.

It can combo out on turn 4 easily enough, which is about right for modern combo decks. It plays blue and discard is a central theme to the combo, so it could be plausable. My testing hasn't been very positive, though...even with Hedron Crab and fetchlands to get a ton of cards into my graveyard.

*shrug* it was my attempt to do a dredge-oriented deck in modern. Oh well...maybe Panoptic Mirror would be better? I somehow think that this combo is nice and all, but needs acceleration. Most likely it will play red for rituals, blue for protection/draw. Another U/R combo deck...uggh.

rufus
09-10-2011, 12:54 PM
*shrug* it was my attempt to do a dredge-oriented deck in modern. Oh well...maybe Panoptic Mirror would be better? I somehow think that this combo is nice and all, but needs acceleration. Most likely it will play red for rituals, blue for protection/draw. Another U/R combo deck...uggh.

There is some :u:/artifact friendly acceleration/banking available in Reshape->Lotus Bloom and do Fellwar Stone,Everflowing Chalice, or, if you're splashing Pentad Prism make the cut as banking mana for modern?

SpikeyMikey
09-11-2011, 07:48 PM
Work? Yes. Tier 1? Not a chance. Twin is turn 4 also, but Twin is very redundant with 2 different cards that function for each half of the combo.

rufus
09-13-2011, 08:38 PM
Work? Yes. Tier 1? Not a chance. Twin is turn 4 also, but Twin is very redundant with 2 different cards that function for each half of the combo.

Well you could play something like Exhaustion as an alternative to Savor the Moment. but locks are still much worse than straight up wins.