PDA

View Full Version : [Deck] Pebbles

morgan_coke
09-09-2011, 04:12 PM
So, I just realized the other day, the Fruity Pebbles combo is legal in Modern. Enduring Renewal is in the TSB card set. Memnite and Ornithopter are in MIR and SoM. Blasting Station and Grinding Station are in 5DN.

For reference:

Enduring Renewal

Idyllic Tutor

Memnite

Ornithopter

Blasting Station

Grinding Station

Your total mana cost on this combo is six mana to mill them out, and seven mana to burn them out. Alternatively you could also run the lab assistant card and mill yourself out.

The deck is naturally W/x, as the only colored cc is the 2WW in Enduring Renewal. Blue is the obvious complementary color for combo search cards like Preordain and Ponder. Thirst for Knowledge is also an option given the high number of artifacts in the deck. I'm not sure what the ideal build for this is. You can run Trinket Mages to find your 0cc artifact guys, and all sorts of nifty control elements are available in u/w. You can also go with a somewhat "Solar Flare" style backup plan thanks to Resurrection and the discard effects of TfK and Compulsive Research. Idyllic Tutor is a nice in color way to find Renewal on demand. Renewal also has some nice interactions with stuff like Mulldrifter, Shriekmaw, Bloodghast, and Vengevine if you were interested in taking that route as a viable backup plan.

I think Splinter Twin is the most obvious place to look for a comparative list to start from design wise. I don't know that Pebbles is a better combo deck than the Twin variants we currently have, but it can win in different ways, and is immune to different kinds of hate. You can also run Grand Abolisher and just ignore whatever counteracting shenanigans your opponent wants to engage in. So that's a plus.

Anyways, just thought some folks might be interested in seeing that an old and somewhat forgotten favorite was in fact viable (or at least legal) again.

Michael Keller
09-09-2011, 06:21 PM
I've been working with this deck since Modern was announced. It's actually stronger than it looks.

I don't like builds that run Idyllic Tutor, though; try using Clutch of the Undercity. It serves dual use and is much more useful.

This would require you to run a Black/Blue/White configuration, however. Also, Grinding Station is ridiculously good in the deck - depending on what your build looks like. If your opponent is running Post, it's really bad as Emrakul just ices that plan all-together. However, note that you can also target yourself with Grinding Station. Since Enduring Renewal is no longer a Replacement Effect and is now Triggered, creatures that hit the graveyard will cause a 'milled' Bridge to trigger, so you can run cards like Narcomoeba and Bridge from Below - target yourself - and make an arbitrary number of Zombies in the process.

Lots of fun.