PDA

View Full Version : [Deck] Mono Green Stompy

boneclub24
09-10-2011, 07:28 PM
Stompy. I always try and make one for a format, just to see if it would work out. This has been testing decently, but could do with some improvement. Suggestions are welcome.

4 Nettle Sentinel
4 Tattermunge Maniac
4 Skarrgan Pit-Skulk
4 Silhana Ledgewalker
3 River Boa
2 Dryad Sophisticate
2 Talara's Battalion

4 Manamorphose
4 Giant Growth
4 Might of Old Krosa
3 Dismember
3 Vines of Vastwood
2 Moldervine Cloak

16 Forest
1 Pendelhaven

You could do worse for $20.

Mr. Safety
09-12-2011, 12:04 PM
Why don't you have Blanchwood Armor in there? Seems better than Moldervine Cloak.

I would think a red splash would be good for Bolts, and would let you play 'Beserk' with Fatal Frenzy

I also like Viashino Slaughtermaster for a good 2-drop. The pump is useless...but the double-strike is AWESOME.

umbowta
09-12-2011, 12:48 PM
I know you realize Talara's Battalion isn't very good because you've chosen to run only two of them. Just cut them. Then you can cut Manamorphose too--it only has synergy with Sentinel and Batallion so why play it anyway? Here's what I would do:

- 2 Talara
- 4 Manamorphose
- 1 River Boa
+4 Noble Hierarch
+3 Uktabi Drake

That way it stays mono green--and under $60 too!

@Mr. Safety. Splashing red makes me wanna dust off Radha, Heir to Keld and Stonewood Invocation

Mr. Safety
09-12-2011, 02:57 PM
Stonewood is too expensive for a low-land count deck. I wouldn't even want it with 20 lands, let alone 17.

Radha is great stuff...but you need instant speed buffs/burn spells to take advantage of that free :r::r: you'll be getting. I would probably include Brute Force, definately Fatal Frenzy.

This was a G/R stompy deck I used to run because I didn't have Berserks in legacy. This is close to what I was using:

4x Skarrgan Pit-Skulk
4x Silhana Ledgewalker
4x Viashino Slaughtermaster
4x Slippery Bogle
4x Kavu Predator

4x Giant Growth
4x Might of Old Krosa
4x Invigorate
4x Fatal Frenzy
4x Lightning Bolt

20 lands

If I were to play the deck today, this is a rough sketch of what I'd do for modern:

4x Nettle Sentinel
4x Goblin Guide
4x Skarrgan Pit-Skulk
4x Silhana Ledgewalker
4x Viashino Slaughtermaster

4x Might of Old Krosa
4x Giant Growth
4x Mutagenic Growth
4x Lightning Bolt
3x Fatal Frenzy
2x Giantbaiting

4x Stomping Ground
4x Verdant Catacombs
4x Arid Mesa
5x Mountain
2x Forest

Sims
09-12-2011, 03:57 PM
I love some stompy as much as the next guy, but this really does beg the question:

Why is this any better than Infect Stompy in modern?

Melira doesn't seem to be overly prevelant at the moment though that deck is quite good. Granted the infect creatures are generally smaller than stompys small drops, but will end the game much faster. The Blazing Shoal infect deck is awfully fragile to me so perhaps going with a more traditional stompy base, and then you can choose your splash(es) from there.

If you are dead set on a traditional stompy base, I don't think splashing is necessary. Staying mono-G should get the job done. You've got one of the hardest to deal with creatures (ledgewalker, to a lesser extent Boggle) ontop of some decent power to cost ratio creatures. Losing quirion ranger sucks, but it can't be helped.

LazyEyes
11-29-2011, 10:05 PM
I had a primal forcemage deck lying around and wanted to make a modern deck. Any thoughts? I don't want too spend too much $$$.

Land - 16
16x Forest

Creatures - 24
4x Groundbreaker
4x Llanowar Elves
4x Noble Hierarch
4x Primal Forcemage
4x Timbermare
4x Uktabi Drake

Spells - 20
4x Evolution Charm
4x Giantbaiting
4x Harmonize
4x Might of Old Krosa
4x Vines of Vastwood

Mr. Safety
11-30-2011, 09:49 AM
I think the best route for any mono-green Berserk-ish style deck in modern would be to include 20 hexproof creatures, 20 pumps, and 20 lands.

Here is a rough list for modern:

4x Slippery Bogle
4x Gladecover Scout
4x Silhana Ledgewalker
4x Troll Ascetic
4x Dungrove Elder

4x Giant Growth
4x Might of Old Krosa
4x Mutagenic Growth
4x Groundswell
4x Vines of Vastwood

20x Forests

LazyEyes
11-30-2011, 11:11 PM
Hmm...I do not really want to change the deck I have already that much. I want to keep my primal forcemage combo

Mr. Safety
12-01-2011, 07:23 AM
Hmm...I do not really want to change the deck I have already that much. I want to keep my primal forcemage combo

Realize that Primal Forcemage needs hasted creatures...so I suggest these cards to go into your list:

Boggart Ram-Gang
Vengevine
Giantbaiting

LazyEyes
12-02-2011, 04:49 PM
Thanks for the suggestion, but IDK. While Vengevine is an interesting card, but I'm not sure if its 2nd ability will see much play. I can see it being played but that's only if I have the mana for it and two creatures in hand. It will be kind of hard with 3-5 cc for most of my creatures, but if I get my elves or hierarch I suppose it could work.

Boggart Ram-Gang is good but it kinda lack evasion of the other creatures. Giantbaitings lets me hit with 2 creatures with is very likely with primal forcemage and a mana producer, rest have flying, trample or tap for dmg.

Giantbaiting is good, but its already in my deck.

IDK my deck does have a fundamental weaknesses which I want to fix. This build suffers late game, and relies heavily on primal forcemage. Any way I could do this without changing the overall playing style of the deck?

Mr. Safety
12-02-2011, 06:33 PM
Not really...it will always have the same weakness of relying on Primal Forcemage for it's speed.

Bramblewood Paragon and a warrior theme could help, but at that point you're playing tribal aggro...and you'd be better going with a straight up Elves approach.

Viashino Slaughtermaster is the card that could make a difference, because of the built in double-strike. Anothe card I've used in the past is Pandemonium...but it's slow. You can conspire Giantbaiting with Pandemonium in play and really hustle their life total down in one shot.

Honestly, I'd rather have a turn 1 Bogle/Scout and turn 2 dump some Gro effects into them and hit for big damage. Mid-game you bring in the other hexproof dudes and pump them to out-muscle opposing creatures or just get in for big damage.

Pltnmngl
12-21-2011, 12:01 PM
I'm really interested in how the deck evolves. I believe there are more than enough pieces to answer specific metagames. I plan on putting this together soon.

4eak
12-21-2011, 01:13 PM
I'll echo what Sims said above: why play this over Infect stompy? I love both decks, but in my experience, Infect is simply the better deck.

In this deck, Giant Growth is 3/20 of your total win requirements, whereas GGrowth is 3/10 of your requirements with Infect. Infect basically doubles the 'damage' of your creatures and pump spells. That is a huge innate advantage that can't be overcome by the efficiency of vanilla beaters. Imagine that all the creatures in the Infect deck lost 'infect' and gained 'double strike' - that's how efficient those creatures are with pump. Obviously, there are exceptions to this analogy, but you get the point.

Stompy looks like a bad version of Zoo or Sligh. Assuming you use it, Hexproof is the only thing this deck has going for it. That simply isn't enough.

peace,
4eak

paeng4983
12-27-2011, 09:10 PM
4eak has a point.

If I am going to build a mono green one, most probably I will have ramp spells, Dungrove Elder, vengevine, GSZ, and thrun.

Gui
10-19-2012, 12:38 PM
I'll echo what Sims said above: why play this over Infect stompy? I love both decks, but in my experience, Infect is simply the better deck.

In this deck, Giant Growth is 3/20 of your total win requirements, whereas GGrowth is 3/10 of your requirements with Infect. Infect basically doubles the 'damage' of your creatures and pump spells. That is a huge innate advantage that can't be overcome by the efficiency of vanilla beaters. Imagine that all the creatures in the Infect deck lost 'infect' and gained 'double strike' - that's how efficient those creatures are with pump. Obviously, there are exceptions to this analogy, but you get the point.

Stompy looks like a bad version of Zoo or Sligh. Assuming you use it, Hexproof is the only thing this deck has going for it. That simply isn't enough.

peace,
4eak

I want to revive this thread (sry for necro) because I think classic stompy could have one strategical difference compared infect, and also because I may be trying to port my legacy to modern soon. So, also to also answer Sims and 4eak.

Even if it's not enough for it to be better than infect (a way more tested deck), classic stompy has two strength focus that infect doesn't: Swarming and Hexproof.

Currently, in modern, there are 4 creatures that can get you 2-power for one green, in Tattermunge Maniac, Nettle Sentinel, Skarrgan Pit-Skulk and the recently added Dryad Militant. By turn 2, you'd have 3 high cost-effective creatures attacking with pumps backup. This is some Zoo-like pressure that can put your enemy on a tight spot.

And there is Silhana Ledgewalker, the hexproof herself, which can be combined with Rancor or the underused Hunger of the Howlpack, which can bring midgame pressure to finish the game. And Thrun, the Control Troller, can be used as 1 or 2 of in this deck too, for looong game is long.

Add this to the fact that this deck can run 8 hexproof pumps, a virtual creature-removal in Prey Upon + Pumps, Rancor, and that it can combo a 4/3 trample into the battlefield by turn 2 (with the infamous Talara's Battalion + Manamorphose), and this deck looks viable.

tl;dr: IMHO, if you use pumps as backup for combat, saving creatures, and finishers, and rely heavily on a plethora of cost-effective creatures, this deck can be something other than a "bad infect stompy".

Not that I have tons of experience in modern, but I'll be trying to port my legacy into modern, and would be very happy if The Source could be helping. ^^'

evanmartyr
04-11-2013, 02:56 AM
I think the best route for any mono-green Berserk-ish style deck in modern would be to include 20 hexproof creatures, 20 pumps, and 20 lands.

Here is a rough list for modern:

4x Slippery Bogle
4x Gladecover Scout
4x Silhana Ledgewalker
4x Troll Ascetic
4x Dungrove Elder

4x Giant Growth
4x Might of Old Krosa
4x Mutagenic Growth
4x Groundswell
4x Vines of Vastwood

20x Forests

While I don't really disagree with you on principle, 20 lands is too many if you're running cheap, evasive, durable creatures. There's also no reason to leave out Pendelhavens. There's no reason to run crap like Ascetic (no trample, flying, fake flying, etc? Why bother?). Not running Pit Skulk seems like a mistake. Not running Cathedral of War seems like a mistake, given the prevalence of removal and the fact that you're a single color. Not running Dryad Sophisticate seems bad.

Perhaps...

2x Giant Growth
4x Mutagenic Growth
4x Might of Old Krosa
4x Vines of Vastwood
4x Rancor

4x Noble Heirarch
4x Slippery Bogle
4x Nettle Sentinel
4x Skargaan Pit Skulk
4x Silhanna Ledgewalker
4x Dryad Sophisticate