PDA

View Full Version : CaNG: The Source Project

(nameless one)
09-16-2011, 09:16 AM
The Source Project

The Source Project is essentially a Modern CaNG deck (Create a New Good deck) project. The goal of this project is to build a Modern legal and competitive deck that only uses cards with the old pre-8th Edition cardframes. This can be achieved with cards that have Modern legal reprints and cards from the Timeshifted Time Spiral set.

I got the idea from a post about a month ago of having an "Ancient" format where old-frame cards are the only legal cards.

A good way to start is determining the mana base. Outside the basic lands, heres a list of Modern legal lands that have the old cardframes:

The painlands (from Adarkar Waste to Yavimaya Coast).
The Urza's Saga man-lands (from Faerie Conclave to Treetop Village)
The Urza-lands (Urza's Mine, Urza's Power Plant, Urza's Tower)
Reflecting Pool
City of Brass
Gemstone Mine
Quicksand

I probably missed a lot more lands but here are the things that came at the top of my head.

The current obstacle is what deck idea should it tackle. I believe the easiest way is to find an old Extended deck that has most of its pieces reprinted in the post 8th edition to pre M10 core sets. Though the card pool should be bigger as it will also have Timespiral Timeshifted and whatever reprints that we recently have of old cards such as Grim Lavamancer and Meddling Mage.

As of now, the first thing that comes is to abuse the Urza Lands, building a control shell around it or a deck that resembles the old 5/3 decks (using Juggernaut and softlock/disruption pieces such as Storage Matrix and Teferi's Puzzle Box.

Other ideas are welcome right now.

10-09-2011, 03:06 AM
URB Wizards perhaps?

4 Grim Lavamancer
4 Shadowmage Infiltrator
2 Daring Apprentice
4 Voidmage Prodigy
3 Willbender
2 Shadow Guildmage

4 Mana Leak
4 Terror
3 Smother