PDA

View Full Version : [Deck] Guildmages

perm
09-23-2011, 09:41 AM
Creature based control WUB deck. It is blessed with an extremely low mana curve that allows confidant to be used with no fear, vial to be used efficiently

19 Creatures
4 Orzhov Guildmage
4 Dimir Guildmage
4 Azorius Guildmage
4 Dark Confidant
4 Spellstutter Sprite
3 Vendilion Clique

20 Spells
4 Thoughtseize
4 Path to Exile
4 Training Grounds
4 Aether Vial
4 Mana Leak

21 Lands
4 Arcane Sanctum
4 Marsh Flats
4 Mutavault
3 Island
2 Swamp
1 Plains
2 Hallowed Fountain
3 Watery Grave
1 Godless Shrine

Just realized sage of fables isn't a fairie, lame. Oh well, only small synergy lost.

4eak
09-23-2011, 10:47 AM
I probably think Guildmages are more playable than most. The power curve is just low enough that they become relevant.

The odds of seeing Training Grounds are too low to consistently see them every single game. This means you need to play well without them. I think you just don't have enough land to consistently abuse the guildmages without Training grounds. As much as I hate to say it, I think you need to lose the Vials (which generally replaces some number of lands). I'm also not a fan of Trickbind, Sage, or SSS here.

edit: How tempting is it to abuse Izzy? Just adding manamorphose alone makes him do some really impressive things.

peace,
4eak

Fuzzy
09-23-2011, 01:41 PM
There's no love for Azure Mage?ss

keys
09-23-2011, 02:25 PM
I would keep the Vials, since you need to keep up mana for all those activation costs. Trickbind and Mana Leak seem weak though. I think you have better Wizards:

Vendilion Clique
Voidmage Prodigy
Glen Elendra Archmage
Skywatcher Adept (only because it's pretty good with Training Grounds and a decent topdeck otherwise)

perm
09-23-2011, 10:27 PM
Izzet Guildmage would basically be UU cost, and have only its blue ability to play. Manamorphose would require R or G which I don't run

Also, the wizard type is pretty immaterial since I am cutting sage of fables.

I am actually considering Esper Charm, as it seems to be one of the best draw spells in the format, and also has great utility. What to cut though?

Mr. Safety
09-24-2011, 09:14 AM
Meddling Mage needs to be in the main/side...somewhere in the 75 I think.

I think it also needs a hard counter...Deprive sounds ok considering Aether Vial is your real outlet for getting your dudes on the table, so a land bounce isn't really even that bad. Maybe 2-3 for stuff that has to be countered NOW (as opposed to Remand) and can ding stuff Mana Leak misses (like late game Primeval Titans)