PDA

View Full Version : [Deck] KCI

4eak
09-29-2011, 06:15 PM
This is one of my favorite decks from when I started playing magic. I'd like the chance to play it again in some format. Losing most of the artifact lands is a kick in the nuts, but the format is slow enough that this might be okay. This deck may be one of the many 'bad' turn 5 average combo decks in the format, I'm not sure. Let me say, I'm skeptical that this deck can be made viable, but dear lord, I would love to see it become viable. While unlikely, I do think there is a non-trivial chance it could become playable.

Here is a decklist:

// Lands - 21
4 Darksteel Citadel
16 Island
1 Academy Ruins

// Combo Pieces - 9
4 Krark-Clan Ironworks
4 Myr Incubator
1 Goblin Cannon

// Additional Artifact Mana Acceleration - 16
4 Mox Opal
4 Mind Stone
4 Talisman of Dominance
4 Everflowing Chalice

// Card Quantity & Quality - 14
4 Chromatic Star
4 Serum Visions
4 Fabricate
2 Reshape

// Sideboard
SB: 4 Condescend
SB: 4 Ensnaring Bridge
SB: 3 Remand
SB: 4 Gigadrowse

Obviously, this deck is ridiculously easy to hate out, but I'm fully willing to try to make a tier 2 deck. I think we could accomplish that if we made the deck a full turn faster. Any and all constructive ideas are appreciated.

peace,
4eak

optml
09-30-2011, 11:43 AM
Ah yes, Ironworks! I do love this deck. I play it with friends (casually only), but I had never looked at it as a serious contender... Especially without chrome mox AND no artifact lands!

But, I'd love to see it a contender. If it won a tournament, the hate out there would be ridiculous, but isn't that what all decks aim to be. So good, s/b's are focussed on beating them?

My thoughts would be:

1) Thirst for Knowledge: Very good value card drawing if you have lots of artifacts.

2) Ichor Wellspring: Good for deck thinning, and ironworks mana.

3) Mycosynth Wellspring: See above

4) Thoughtcast: possibly not efficient enough without artifact lands, but you do have a lot of artifacts. Even at 2 mana, it's a very playable spell.

5)Riddlesmith: possible sb card? Once they 'know' that you have no creatures, it could be a good way to filtre through your deck, without fear of spot removal.

What to take out:

Everflowing chalice just seems far too weak and slow. Likewise to mind stone.
I would do:
Everflowing Chalice -4, mind stone -4, island -1, Serum visions -2
Thirst for Knowledge +4, Ichor Wellspring +4, academy ruins +1, mana leak +2

I always like to throw a couple of counters to slow them down (perhaps playing around a possible mana leak) and also to defend against a particularly nasty spell they may have (stony silence springs to mind!)

I'd like to see how this post progresses though, as it is a fun strategy, and playing against someone who has never seen KCI in action is classic.