PDA

View Full Version : Why would I want to play Modern?

DragoFireheart
10-03-2011, 06:58 PM
-Shocklands cost a bit too much still.

- Control is seemingly dead:

http://www.thecouncil.es/tcdecks/metagame.php?format=Modern

- Zoo decks seem poised to be the best deck. They almost literally port over from Legacy to Modern.

- The recent bannings seem to suggest that WotC has no fucking clue what they are doing.

I have little hope for this format going beyond table-top kitchen games. I ask in hopes that my current perceptions are flawed and I'm simply being too pessimistic.

TeenieBopper
10-03-2011, 07:14 PM
Because it's still better than Legacy.

DragoFireheart
10-03-2011, 07:17 PM
Because it's still better than Legacy.

In what ways is Modern better than Legacy?

TeenieBopper
10-03-2011, 08:39 PM
In what ways is Modern better than Legacy?

By virtue of it not being Legacy.

DragoFireheart
10-03-2011, 08:43 PM
By virtue of it not being Legacy.

- Clarify.

Sims
10-03-2011, 09:16 PM
-Shocklands cost a bit too much still.

- Control is seemingly dead:

http://www.thecouncil.es/tcdecks/metagame.php?format=Modern

- Zoo decks seem poised to be the best deck. They almost literally port over from Legacy to Modern.

- The recent bannings seem to suggest that WotC has no fucking clue what they are doing.

I have little hope for this format going beyond table-top kitchen games. I ask in hopes that my current perceptions are flawed and I'm simply being too pessimistic.

-Shocklands cost 15 each. Use ebay, not Star City. Check the completed listings.

-Control needs help, yes, if you are considering old school Stack control. Black based board control with hand disruption/pox/cloud is likely still viable. Blue is going to need help if you're looking in terms of that type of control.

-Zoo will not port directly. They will use Kavu Predator, grove/fires engine, etc.. Likely will not be a direct port. However, it is well posed to be a tier 1 competitor. Is this a problem? As much fun as I was having with Combo.format, it's certainly not a hallmark of a healthy format.

-They are attempting to control the speed of the format and balance it. It might take them a few rounds of bannings to manage. The catch is, the cards that you might see as fine (Jace, Misstep, Stoneforge, etc) are probably above the power level of the format they wish to have. You can't use Legacy as a gauge, because the power level of the other cards available is head and shoulders above the power level of the card pool in modern. Jace and Stoneforge have seen their day in the sun outside of Legacy, and it was deemed they were too strong. They don't want modern to be Cawblade 3.0... Dredge-Vine would be pretty boss in a format that has a Zombify you can cast from your graveyard, even without dread return being around. They don't want the U/r combo decks to be super consistent and fast (see cantrips + rite of flame bans)... repeatable tutors in GSZ (ala survival)... Most of the bans have been on par with their previous precedents.

Now, that aside. You have come across as wanting this format to fail since they announced it. That's fine if you don't have the same enthusiasm for this format as Legacy, but to be honest it's kind of annoying to see all of these negative posts bashing a still developing format on the virtue that it isn't Legacy. Seriously, if you don't like the concept of the format, fine. Just keep it to yourself and don't clog the Modern boards with threads pontificating on how much worse this format is than Legacy and go back to playing Legacy.

Also, Mike is right.

socialite
10-03-2011, 10:22 PM
Legacy sucks.

Been saying this for years!

DragoFireheart
10-03-2011, 10:47 PM
Now, that aside. You have come across as wanting this format to fail since they announced it. That's fine if you don't have the same enthusiasm for this format as Legacy, but to be honest it's kind of annoying to see all of these negative posts bashing a still developing format on the virtue that it isn't Legacy. Seriously, if you don't like the concept of the format, fine. Just keep it to yourself and don't clog the Modern boards with threads pontificating on how much worse this format is than Legacy and go back to playing Legacy.

Also, Mike is right.

- Well, what exactly is the concept of this format? I have obviously missed this.

The reason I come off as negative is that one of my favorite arch-types is almost completely nonviable in Modern. I don't like combo too much, which leaves me with aggro or aggro-control. Watching cantrips get banned is even more saddening since it was done to keep combo i check but it also makes blue-control much worse. I find it hard not to be negative when the format seems to be fast aggro or combo decks. I look at this format and it seems very unbalanced and I fear it will only get worse as new sets continue to come out. Sure, they are trying to keep combo decks in check, but without a strong control pillar more combo decks using new cards will inevitably spring up.

At least in Legacy, aggro, combo, and control decks all have a fair shot at competing. I'm simply not seeing that in this format. How much longer will it take for the format to settle? Will it ever settle with the sort of bans WoTC does of the previous ones size?

Michael Keller
10-04-2011, 12:40 AM
Legacy does not suck; Legacy kicks ass.

Explain to me why I would want to play Standard predominantly where two or three viable decks exist and the only card-pool available dates back a year or two? (It's still a good format for those who enjoy it, don't get me wrong.)

Or explain to me why I would want to play Vintage, where I can't even find a casual match, let alone a (non-existent) sanctioned event to play in?

Even Modern's ban list is ridiculously long. I mean, if you're out to try something novel that's fine, but I personally enjoy being able to play just about every card from every set in existence.

Legacy is really the only format where just about anything is viable. That 'freestyle' feel is what makes it appealing alone.

perm
10-04-2011, 02:00 AM
Modern's only real problem is the silly ban list. But this will obviously be fixed given time

Nihil Credo
10-04-2011, 02:10 AM
━━━━━┓⌒ζ
┓┓┓┓┓┃
┓┓┓┓┓┃
┓┓┓┓┓┃
┓┓┓┓┓┃
┓┓┓┓┓┃
┓┓┓┓┓┃
┓┓┓┓┓┃
┓┓┓┓┓┃
┓┓┓┓┓┃