PDA

View Full Version : Storm Still Viable?

TossUsToLions
10-06-2011, 12:23 PM
Obviously we lost Rite of Flame, Ponder and Preordain, but is there a chance that a (relatively) good storm deck can still be created? We still have these cards:

Past in Flames
Plunge into Darkness
Infernal Plunge
Desperate Ritual
Pyretic Ritual
Seething Song
Serum Visions
Sleight of Hand
Telling Time
Peer Through Depths
Gitaxian Probe
Grapeshot
Ignite Memories
Empty the Warrens
Time Reversal
Wild Cantor
Lotus Bloom
Gilded Lotus
Simian Spirit Guide

It will definitely be slower and less consistent. Is there any way to make Past in Flames work, or are there not enough good rituals left? Is there a way to use Infernal Plunge? Are there just not enough good cantrips left?

Mr. Safety
10-06-2011, 12:31 PM
Don't forget Manamorphose, and yes, I think it can still be done.

Check out Mystic Speculation and Halimar Depths. While they don't cantrip, they can help you plan your game out, and along with a handful of fetches can help you draw into your needed gas. Deprive combos nicely with Halimar Depths as protection + filtering. I've been using it well in my BUG list.

Forbidden Alchemy is pretty hot tech for Pyromancer Ascension, but that isn't really storm...

Bastian
10-16-2011, 07:16 PM
Dragonstorm just top 8'ed today in a local 25-men tournament, so I'd guess that yes: storm is viable. It packed seething song and the other legal red ritual, lotus bloom, manamorphose, gitaxian probe to set up dragonstorm for 3 hellkites and it had a splinter twin/exarch combo it could pull as well in case the first one didn't work.

Tammit67
10-16-2011, 07:44 PM
Dragonstorm just top 8'ed today in a local 25-men tournament, so I'd guess that yes: storm is viable. It packed seething song and the other legal red ritual, lotus bloom, manamorphose, gitaxian probe to set up dragonstorm for 3 hellkites and it had a splinter twin/exarch combo it could pull as well in case the first one didn't work.

Sounds... Bad

Sims
10-16-2011, 09:43 PM
I'm not really fond of the conversion sideboard for a combo deck in modern after losing the good cantrips. However, I do believe that even with Slight of Hand, Serum Visions, and perhaps telling time or speculation that you might be able to create some kind of U/R storm deck. It's just going to be much slower and will have to play more of a combo-control role as opposed to just being balls to the wall combo.