PDA

View Full Version : [Deck] Breach Attack

4eak
10-11-2011, 11:55 AM
This deck was played at PT Phil. It didn't perform well, but that could be for plenty of reasons (tournament data is not the holy grail that many people think it is). Perhaps the deck can be fine-tuned to be even better.

Here is a decklist:

// Lands - 19
2 Island
4 Steam Vents
3 Misty Rainforest
4 Scalding Tarn
4 Shivan Reef
1 Stomping Ground
1 Watery Grave

// Mana Acceleration - 10
2 Simian Spirit Guide
4 Seething Song
4 Desperate Ritual

// Breach Combo - 11
4 Through the Breach
3 Blightsteel Colossus
4 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn

// Card Quality - 15
3 Mystical Teachings
4 Peer Through Depths
4 Sleight of Hand
4 Serum Visions

// Protection and Stall - 5
4 Remand
1 Gigadrowse

// Sideboard
SB: 1 Teferi, Mage of Zhalfir
SB: 1 Lightning Bolt
SB: 1 Gigadrowse
SB: 1 Pact of Negation
SB: 1 Hurkyl's Recall
SB: 1 Repeal
SB: 1 Echoing Truth
SB: 1 Surgical Extraction
SB: 1 Slaughter Pact
SB: 4 Firespout
SB: 2 Blood Moon

It has a pretty straightforward gameplan: Have an Emrakul or Colossus in hand and cast Through the Breach. Right now it focuses mostly on speed and consistency. The deck could actually drop acceleration and go for a more control oriented approach. I'm not exactly sure where to go with it.

The cantrips are merely okay. Probe was worse than I expected. I've liked Mystical Teachings in this deck. It picks up protection or Through the Breach for you. It may look slow, but it isn't so bad, particularly if you have 2 pieces of acceleration in hand, where 1 is used to Mystical and the other to cast Through the Breach. Eerie Procession seems pretty interesting - it can pickup Breach or Ritual.

I think this deck would absolutely love a way to tutor creatures. I've not been satisfied with anyone as of yet.

peace,
4eak

Mr. Safety
10-11-2011, 02:45 PM
Ancient Stirrings and Weird Harvest seem like decent options.

4eak
10-11-2011, 05:12 PM
I tried Stirrings. It was merely 'okay'. I had tried Congregation at Dawn, but wasn't loving it either. Weird Harvest is interesting, I'll try it out. I really wish it was an instant so I could chain tutor when necessary.

It may turn out that general cantrips are just the only way to do this, and if that is the case, then Probe needs to get fit back into the deck.

peace,
4eak

morgan_coke
10-11-2011, 08:15 PM
Time of Need

The better versions of this deck I've seen also mess around with Goryo's Vengeance as an alternative plan.

4eak
10-11-2011, 09:55 PM
I've tried Time of Need as well. It may be the correct choice in the end, and dropping Blightsteel would be the way to go. Emrakul is generally the best Breach creature anyways. Avoiding PtE is nice, and having Emrakul 5-8 seems good.

The Goryo's decks I've seen are very different. Can you give an example list? It may be the case that Reanimator and Breach should be wed together, but I think there might be unacceptable costs to finding proper discard outlets. Hopefully, my initial guess is wrong here.

peace,
4eak

morgan_coke
10-11-2011, 11:35 PM
I've only really seen the hybrid deck online, it used fewer rituals and ran discard dudes like Oona's Prowler and that 1UU sphinx. There were also TfK's in there if I remember correctly.

I've only seen it a few times, but I was impressed by it. Sorry I can't give a better idea of what was in it. Also, I could be wrong about the discard critters in it. Mostly I just remember the guy discarding during his upkeep and goryo'ing emrakul to kill me, or going "seething song - breech - emrak - scoop phase".