PDA

View Full Version : [Dallas, TX] NM Beta Savannah Legacy Tourney at Gunslinger Games 12/3

Gunslinger_Games
10-21-2011, 07:32 PM
Saturday December 3rd at 2 PM (doors open at noon)

Gunslinger Games
11110 Petal St Ste 200
Dallas, TX 75238
214-553-5873

Legacy Constructed Swiss Tournament

Deck list required of all participants.

$25(+ tax) entry fee

Prize Support:
~ 1st place will receive a Beta Savannah (rated @7.5). This is guaranteed regardless of turnout, unlike our first dual land tournament in August.
~ The remainder of the top eight will get 2 packs/player divided between them
~ Players may substitute $2 of store credit (not usable for entry fees) for any booster packs they win.

Esper3k
10-21-2011, 08:29 PM
You guys wouldn't consider moving it one weekend later, would you? :)

Not because I'm selfish and can't make that weekend, but also because I'm guessing there may be less of a crowd / people willing to travel due to the holiday?

Also, in the future, Saturday would be a lot easier for those of us out of town to make instead of afternoon Sunday :)

Di
10-22-2011, 12:39 AM
Boo Thanksgiving weekend is terrible. I definitely won't be able to attend. This would be great if it was either the weekend before or weekend after. Unfortunately I believe you might find a lot of others in the same situation; it could be in your benefit to move this away from a holiday weekend.

Esper3k
10-22-2011, 12:34 PM
Yeah it being on a Sunday afternoon pretty much means those of us who would travel can't make it. Of course, if that's the purpose to try and keep it to locals, then disregard me.

Gunslinger_Games
10-24-2011, 07:38 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys.

The intention certainly isn't for it to be strictly local. We've talked about it and we're working with a couple of issues:

1) Our store has grown enough that we can't accommodate everything at once. At the beginning of 2012, we will be moving to a location with a lot more space, but for right now, we are stuck with what we got.

2) We already have a great Saturday. Because of the constraints of #1, doing something else on Saturday, will make it a trade in business, not an addition to business.

3) We'll never please everybody, though we do want to please most people most of the time.

Since y'all are the only ones to comment, what would work best for you? Saturday mid-day or Saturday night? The week before or the week after? Do you the the Legacy community st large will agree with your preferences?

Thanks,

Russ

Esper3k
10-24-2011, 11:07 PM
Thanks for being so accommodating and willing to talk! It is certainly greatly appreciated!

I know some of us Houston guys post on here and I'll get feedback from others as well.

At first glance, Saturday midday would be best for those of us from out of town since we can drive up, play the tournament, and still drive back without having to go to work the next day.

I'll check and see what people think about weekend before / after Thanksgiving (my personal vote is for the weekend after).

Di
10-25-2011, 02:30 PM

The intention certainly isn't for it to be strictly local. We've talked about it and we're working with a couple of issues:

1) Our store has grown enough that we can't accommodate everything at once. At the beginning of 2012, we will be moving to a location with a lot more space, but for right now, we are stuck with what we got.

2) We already have a great Saturday. Because of the constraints of #1, doing something else on Saturday, will make it a trade in business, not an addition to business.

3) We'll never please everybody, though we do want to please most people most of the time.

Since y'all are the only ones to comment, what would work best for you? Saturday mid-day or Saturday night? The week before or the week after? Do you the the Legacy community st large will agree with your preferences?

Thanks,

Russ

Hey Russ,

The actual day (Sunday) and time aren't really the biggest issue for this particular tournament, but since you've addressed it I'll put in my .02.

Given these are the only large Legacy tournaments that have popped up in Texas in God knows how long, they do hold a sense of prominence around not just Dallas, but around the surrounding areas. The first event was successful, and you can only expect the following ones to meet or exceed that success. That said, it seems like it'd be in your best interest to adjust accordingly to accommodate the demand set by hosting a large Legacy event as they garner a lot of interest, and in effect attracts a lot of additional people (money). We're really looking to have this be a great event because they're so rare in this area, so I think in this case it's important to listen to the players' perspective because we want it to be as successful as you do.

1 and 2. - Pretty much every store in the history of the world would make some sacrifice whenever they hold a large event, most typically seen when holding prereleases or dual land events or whatever. If a store is expecting a large crowd for something, they will make the best effort to accommodate that, both with space and time. If people are going to be traveling from out of town for this, then Saturday afternoon is by far the best time. It gives them plenty of time to travel in and out of the area, and then leave after the tournament at a reasonable time. Sundays are generally difficult for people to travel to because it puts too much stress on them being back home in time for Monday, and thus they aren't as likely to attend. Hell, Sunday was hard for me last time and I live 20 minutes away.

Given Saturday is going to be your best option to attract the most people, you'd either be relegated to cancelling a smaller event that usually takes place, or move it to Sunday. Seeing how you normally have Legacy on Sundays, I think it'd make the most sense to just swap the Saturday/Sunday schedules for the weekend of the tournament. That way you have everyone who can possibly attend the Legacy event will attend, and there's likely very little inconvenience to those who would normally play something on Saturday as they would just play on Sunday instead. It's a very simply tradeoff that will result in a lot higher attendance on a Saturday afternoon Legacy tournament as opposed to it being on Sunday.

3. It isn't realistic to please everyone, but there has to be a best option to please both your customers and yourselves. I honestly don't believe this can be achieved if you hold the tournament on Thanksgiving weekend. Due to people traveling and being a busy weekend and such, you have the potential to lose a lot of business. That results in a smaller tournament with a number of unhappy people who couldn't play, and a smaller profit for you. I spoke with a handful of players this past weekend at a local Legacy tournament about this and a majority of them ended up coming to the conclusion that they wouldn't be able to play due to the weekend. This is just a small group, but if I've at least personally witnessed 5-6 people state they couldn't attend due to the holiday, I can only imagine how amplified that number could be overall. And those are all local people mind you, not even taking into account those who would be coming from out of town.

I don't know if it really matters if it's the weekend before or after, I just know for a fact the tournament will suffer if held on the holiday weekend. I'm inclined to say the weekend after would make more sense as it gives you more time to spread the word and adjust any advertising for it, but either way it's really in your best interest to have it changed. I know there are another few Dallas players who post on here, and I'm sure if they see this you'll receive similar feedback.

Admiral_Arzar
10-25-2011, 02:35 PM
Agree with everything Di said. I know that if it's the weekend before or after Thanksgiving, there will likely be a car full of guys from Houston coming up (not all of them post on here though). I doubt any of us can make it on Thanksgiving weekend though (I know that I will personally be in Colorado then).

Anusien
10-25-2011, 03:28 PM
I would love to do this, but November is the worst month in the world.

P.S., if you need judges for this event, I can help you find some.

Di
10-25-2011, 03:55 PM
I would love to do this, but November is the worst month in the world.

P.S., if you need judges for this event, I can help you find some.

Technically, if this were pushed back it'd be December, but we don't know the finalized date of the event yet.

Formal judges would be terrific, as I don't recall there being any there last time...?

Bignasty197
10-25-2011, 10:10 PM
Russ,

I think moving the date to either the weekend before or the weekend after Thanksgiving would be the most beneficial thing to do. I thought the last Dual tournament at Gunslinger was very well run and I would like to see that happen again because I had a blast. What Di said is true about Texas not having enough big tournaments for Legacy. Outside of the SCG Open that we get once a year, this is pretty much all we have as far as high profile tournaments. I enjoy going to large events not only for big prizes, but for the chance to compete against higher level opponents. This means that players will have to be present to compete against. If the tournament stays scheduled for that weekend, I will be out of town and I'm assuming many other players will also be unable to attend due to the holiday weekend.

If we could get the date of this tournament moved to either the weekend before or the weekend after its current scheduled date, I'm confident that most all of the North Texas legacy players will flock to this event. If these guys from Houston drive out here, we could have an even bigger attendance than the last tournament.

I hope you consider what I've said in making a decision. Thanks.

Gunslinger_Games
10-28-2011, 02:51 AM

Vincent and I have decided to move the event to mid-Saturday on the week following Thanksgiving, so 12/3/2011. I'll update everything tomorrow and then start to get the word out in earnest.

We realize that November/December is iffy for people, but we want to have one more event at this location before we move in January. Our new location will be larger and easier to find. And we will have comparable Legacy prize support. But that's the future.

Hopefully this will work for more people.

Thanks,

Russ

Esper3k
10-28-2011, 09:08 AM
Awesome, thanks for being so accommodating! You should definitely expect some of us Houston guys to make the drive up!

Di
10-28-2011, 10:03 AM
Thank you very much Russ. I assure you you won't regret the decision. This is a win/win for both your store and the players.

Gunslinger_Games
11-01-2011, 09:32 PM
Thanks again for the input.

We have officially changed the date of the event:

Beta Savannah Legacy Tourney at Gunslinger Games 12/3/2011 (https://www.facebook.com/gunslinger.games/posts/302924266384781?notif_t=like)

I am going to start store to store promotion this week. Outside of DFW, I plan on sending fliers to store in San Antonio, Austin, Houston, and Oklahoma City. Do y'all have suggestions for specific stores I should contact?

Thanks,

Russ

Esper3k
11-09-2011, 06:38 PM
Thanks again for the input.

We have officially changed the date of the event:

Beta Savannah Legacy Tourney at Gunslinger Games 12/3/2011 (https://www.facebook.com/gunslinger.games/posts/302924266384781?notif_t=like)

I am going to start store to store promotion this week. Outside of DFW, I plan on sending fliers to store in San Antonio, Austin, Houston, and Oklahoma City. Do y'all have suggestions for specific stores I should contact?

Thanks,

Russ

Asgard Games in Houston runs Legacy tournaments most frequently and tends to have the largest ones.

Asgard Games
5016 Kirby Drive
Houston, Texas 77005
(713) 677-0699

Here are some other ones that I believe also have Legacy crowds

Skirmish Games
8317 Spencer Highway
Deer Park, TX 77536-6559
(281) 542-6500

Empire Central Comics & Cards
2800 West Main Street Suite G
League City, TX, 77573
832-632-2417

I -think- Pat's Games in Austin might have Legacy tournaments? Not sure on that one though.

Gunslinger_Games
11-15-2011, 03:36 PM
Esper3K,

Thanks for the advice. I sent out letters with fliers last week to a variety of different stores (but particularly the ones you mentioned). And I got a response back from one of them today on the store's Facebook page, so expect everyone has got them and has put them up if they're going to.

Russ

Esper3k
11-16-2011, 01:03 PM
Esper3K,

Thanks for the advice. I sent out letters with fliers last week to a variety of different stores (but particularly the ones you mentioned). And I got a response back from one of them today on the store's Facebook page, so expect everyone has got them and has put them up if they're going to.

Russ

No problem - hope it helps to get the word out! Having more turnout for tournaments like this helps everyone!

Di
11-28-2011, 10:01 AM
This is this weekend folks! Hope we get a good attendance!

Bignasty197
11-28-2011, 11:57 AM
Count me in.

Gunslinger_Games
11-28-2011, 01:53 PM
Thanks for your interest guys. I think we'll have great turnout. :laugh:

Di
12-01-2011, 06:36 PM
Is it possible anyone could give me a ride to this? My car was keyed yesterday and it might be in the shop to get work done (not sure if it'll go in tomorrow, if not I'll have my car), so I may be unable to attend unless I get a ride there. I live in Farmers Branch right off 635. I will totally compensate anyone who can help me with food/coffee/hugs.

Gunslinger_Games
12-01-2011, 09:17 PM
Is it possible anyone could give me a ride to this? My car was keyed yesterday and it might be in the shop to get work done (not sure if it'll go in tomorrow, if not I'll have my car), so I may be unable to attend unless I get a ride there. I live in Farmers Branch right off 635. I will totally compensate anyone who can help me with food/coffee/hugs.

Di,

I'll post your request on our FB page with a link back to this forum. :smile:

Russ

Ramirez777
12-02-2011, 10:49 AM

I live in McKinney, and you're probably on the way to the event. If you could just pm me your address and phone number, I'll give you a call to arrange a pick up time.

Di
12-02-2011, 12:11 PM
Problem solved, thank you!

Gunslinger_Games
12-04-2011, 02:14 AM
Standings from the Beta Savannah tournament:

1) Matt C.- Zoo *Winner of the Beta Savannah*
2) Drew F.- Imperial Painter
3) Jeff C.- GW Maverick
4) Dustin W.- Team America
5) Thomas M.- Spiral Tide
6) Alex K.- withheld at player's request
7) Jake Hanley- Boogeyman Bant
8) Christopher H.- Blue Zoo

Photos are up now for anyone who is interested. I'll post deck lists on the store's FB page over the course of the next few days.

Koby
12-04-2011, 03:33 AM
So, sauce, what did you play?

Esper3k
12-04-2011, 09:02 AM
Standings from the Beta Savannah tournament:

1) Matt C.- Zoo *Winner of the Beta Savannah*
2) Drew F.- Imperial Painter
3) Jeff C.- GW Maverick
4) Dustin W.- Team America
5) Thomas M.- Spiral Tide
6) Alex K.- withheld at player's request
7) Jake Hanley- Boogeyman Bant
8) Christopher H.- Blue Zoo

Photos are up now for anyone who is interested. I'll post deck lists on the store's FB page over the course of the next few days.

The first place list is more accurately described as a Big Zoo list.

Thanks again for running an awesome tournament and we Houston guys look forward to your next one! :)

Bignasty197
12-04-2011, 09:10 AM
The most awesome/retarded play I saw was MUD vs Hive Mind.

Hive Mind: Show and Tell, Hive Mind, Pact, Pact
MUD: (Show and Tells a third artifact making Forgemaster active), response to Pact triggers sacrifices Kuldotha Forgemaster for Platinum Angel.
Hive Mind: dies on upkeep.

Overall, very good tournament. I had a lot of fun, even if I only came in 7th.

sdematt
12-04-2011, 04:59 PM
If Matt is interested in moving the Savannah, I may be interested.

-Matt

sauce
12-04-2011, 06:06 PM
So, sauce, what did you play?

aggro loam, one loss in swiss to high tide, in top8 got paired vs painter, mull to 5 g1, get t1 bloodmooned out g2 w/ bloodstained mire in play (not foothills - fml)

Di
12-05-2011, 09:15 AM
Got dream crushed out of the top8 in the last round by Team America, figures the only deck I didn't want to run into spoiled my day. At least the day proved that High Tide is still a relevant deck. :)

Tournament went well, had a blast even though it didn't work out for me in round 6. It was nice to meet some Sourcers from the opposite end of the country for a change.

@Gunslinger/Russ - For next time (and future events after that) - please have table numbers. It is far too difficult for people to randomly shout to find their opponent, especially given many traveled to Dallas and have no idea who the other players are. This is not only confusing for many, but wastes a lot of time as people can't just go directly to their table. It'd make things run a lot smoother if we could simply go sit down. Otherwise, everything went great, and I look forward to the next large event you hold.

DrewliusMaximus
12-05-2011, 11:47 PM
Thanks for the tournament. Any decent-sized legacy event in Texas is appreciated (except maybe in El Paso...not going to drive there).

troopatroop
12-06-2011, 01:40 AM
got lists? you too di.

Admiral_Arzar
12-06-2011, 09:34 AM
I made top eight with Spiral Tide but fizzled in game three against Team America (20+ storm, couldn't find a wincon the whole time and bricked on Time Spiral). I played this list:

1 Pact of Negation
4 Preordain
4 Ponder
4 Brainstorm
4 High Tide
3 Candelabra of Tawnos
4 Merchant Scroll
1 Intuition
3 Cunning Wish
3 Meditate
3 Turnabout
4 Force of Will
4 Time Spiral

3 Flooded Strand
3 Polluted Delta
12 Island

Sideboard
1 Pact of Negation
2 Flusterstorm
3 Snap
1 Echoing Truth
1 Brain Freeze
1 Meditate
1 Rebuild
1 Blue-Sun's Zenith
1 Turnabout
3 Defense Grid

The deck was the nuts all tourney long except for the final game against TA (he may or may not have Extirpated my Merchant Scrolls that game, I don't remember which game that was).

DrewliusMaximus
12-06-2011, 10:33 AM
Here's my Imperial Painter list. I ran a residual blue-splash leftover from days of Misstep, although I think I'll go back to mono-red now.

8 Tomb/City
4 Fetch
7 Mountain
1 Volcanic

4 Lotus Petal
3 SSG

4 Blood Moon
6 Blast

4 Grindstone
4 Top

4 Recruiter
4 Servant
2 Welder
1 Metamorph
1 Jaya
1 Magus
1 Spellskite
1 Revoker

SB
4 Ensnaring Bridge
4 Thorn of Amethyst
2 Revoker
1 Trinket Mage
1 Faerie Macabre
1 Tormod's Crypt
1 EE
1 REB

I played High Tide, Dead Guy, High Tide again (and lost), RUG Tempo, Storm Combo w/Past in Flames, and then drew with Bant to go 4-1-1 into the top 8. In the top 8 I played Aggro Loam, and then Team America in the top 4. The final matchup was against Big Zoo, which is somewhat winnable with some of the new additions to Imperial Painter, but he beat me in two. The first game I actually came very close by forcing him to deal with Spellskite, Welder, and then two Servants with Grindstone. Unfortunately he had a crazy removal hand. The second game I mulled to 4 before I saw a land. No good.

The major lessons of the day for me were:

Maxing out on Blood Moons is the definitely the right thing to do. I didn't really even want another Magus either.

For me, Tops are too amazing in this deck not to play 4, especially with Welder.

Spellskite is awesome.

Revoker was relevant to me, but I know that he is much more important in a build that does not have burn and does have a Welder plan.

I like Thorn of Amethyst better than Trinisphere in the board. It saved me the match against Storm when I was able to play it turn 1 in the third match, when Trinisphere would have been too late.

I hate to say it, but I don't know if Jaya is needed in this build.

Trinket Mage and the blue splash are not worth it.

My intention is to drop Trinket Mage from the board and replace Jaya with the 7th Blast. Then I'd probably add 2 Crypts to the SB and change the EE to a Ratchet Bomb.

Di
12-06-2011, 10:35 AM
I ran the following:

4 High Tide
3 Candelabra of Tawnos
3 Turnabout
4 Time Spiral
4 Merchant Scroll
3 Cunning Wish
2 Meditate
1 Blue Sun's Zenith
4 Brainstorm
4 Ponder
3 Preordain
4 Force of Will
2 Pact of Negation
1 Flusterstorm

4 Scalding Tarn
2 Misty Rainforest
12 Island

SB:
1 Blue Sun's Zenith
1 Brain Freeze
1 Intuition
1 Turnabout
2 Defense Grid
1 Flusterstorm
1 Spell Pierce
1 Pact of Negation
2 Snap
2 Echoing truth
1 Hurkyl's Recall
1 Wipe Away

I'll discuss the list in the Spiral Tide thread.

Like Admiral_Arzar, the deck was insane all day. My 3-3 record really doesn't reflect how well the deck did, as I lost round 6 to the top4 Team America player to miss top8, and otherwise I was way ahead pretty much the entire rest of the time. My wins were against MUD, Belcher, and Sneak and Show, and I lost against Imperial Painter and Bant.

The Imperial Painter loss was kind of ridiculous. Game 1 he went off turn 3 through Force of Will with a t1 Top, t2 Painter, t3 Stone (I Force), spin Top and draw and play Grindstone, pitch 2x SSG and kill me. I know right. G3 he mulls and has a turn 2 Tomb and Grindstone when I'm holding Spell Pierce, turn 3 draw Painter off another Tomb, and he had the blast for my bounce spell. Both games I had the win the following turn, so that was disappointing. After the match someone mentioned to me that they believed the guy drew 7 off his mulligan, but didn't say anything because they weren't sure if he mulled in the first place. I never noticed so I'm not sure if it was true, but at that point I couldn't do anything so I didn't bother complaining about it.

The Bant loss I won game 1, then fizzled game 2 trying to go off but couldn't find a Time Spiral and I ended up dying to my Pact trigger. I made a mistake by not casting a Merchant Scroll a turn earlier and instead cast it on my combo turn, thus being one mana short of managing a Scroll->Wish->Intuition->Spiral chain, and instead had to get a Meditate with Scroll and bricked. However in hindsight it was a play I couldn't have seen because the gamestate drastically changed on his turn before I attempted to combo, and I felt I pretty much had to go off then or I'd lose outright. Happens though. Game 3 I had a great hand without High Tide, but burned through 4 cantrips in the first 3 turns and couldn't find one, and he had Sword of FF go to town with a Cannonist.

Last round loss to Team America simply featured him getting really great hands and being able to resolve his early Hymns. My hands were decent, but it's hard to win through a turn 1 Delver turn 2 Hymn with backup hand. Pretty sure High Tide got Surgical'd after that too.

Despite the losses I think the deck was by far the best in the room. The Team America loss wasn't much of a surprise, but the other two losses I likely should've won, especially the Bant match, and my wins were rather lopsided. Oh well, at least one of them got into the top8.

Bignasty197
12-06-2011, 03:25 PM
I ran Bant going 4-2-1 to 7th place. I lost round 1 to URg Snapcaster/Delver Nonsense with maindeck PoP. I played around Stifle all 3 games only to find out afterward that he wasn't playing it. I won 4 straight against Dredge(2-0), the Bant mirror(2-1), High Tide(2-1) and Team America(2-0)(4th place guy). ID'd with Painter final round for top 8. I lost round 1 of the top 8 to the Zoo deck that won it. I took game 1 from the nuts draw and he took game 2 with Sylvan Library. I savagely punted G3 by brainstorming with Jace instead of Fatesealing myself and letting Jace eat a Bolt. Not to take anything away from the other guy because game 3 was nuts. He killed me on turn 5 after time was called. Most epic game of the day. Anyway, this is what I played:

4 Brainstorm
4 Force of Will
4 Swords To Plowshares
4 Stoneforge Mystic
4 Knight of the Reliquary
4 Noble Hierarch
3 Jace
2 Ponder
2 Snapcaster Mage
2 Vendilion Clique
1 Daze
1 Sword of Feast and Famine
1 Umezawa's Jitte
1 Batterskull

4 Misty Rainforest
4 Windswept Heath
3 Tropical Island
3 Tundra
3 Wasteland
1 Savannah
1 Karakas
1 Maze of Ith
1 Island
1 Plains
1 Forest

SB-
4 Spell Pierce
2 Path to Exile
2 Ethersworn Canonist
2 Qasali Pridemage
2 Surgical Exraction
1 Scavenging Ooze
1 Sword of Fire and Ice
1 Krosan Grip

When I play this deck again, Bojuka Bog will be included somewhere. It was frustrating when I needed it but didn't have it. The singleton Daze was fantastic. It probably countered 7 or 8 spells on the day. My opponents didn't know I only ran the one and they played around it afterward. So, Knights + Jace + Stoneforge= Awesome.

Ziveeman
12-06-2011, 03:34 PM
What was the Big Zoo list?

Di
12-06-2011, 03:45 PM
Not to take anything away from the other guy because game 3 was nuts. He killed me on turn 5 after time was called.

They timed the top8? Wtf?

Admiral_Arzar
12-06-2011, 03:52 PM

60 minute rounds. I didn't realize that was out of the ordinary because I've never really spent any time in top eights at anything larger than my local lol.

Bignasty197
12-06-2011, 03:56 PM

Yea, apparently it was the first to be damaged lost or some such thing. Or if someone gained life, they won. I wasn't really paying attention when they told us what it was. 7 straight hours of Magic made me delusional.

Esper3k
12-06-2011, 04:05 PM
Yea, apparently it was the first to be damaged lost or some such thing. Or if someone gained life, they won. I wasn't really paying attention when they told us what it was. 7 straight hours of Magic made me delusional.

The rules for Sudden Death in timed t8 rounds is that after the 5 turns when time is called, whomever is lower on life loses. If both players are at the same life total, then whoever loses life first loses. Iirc, you can also gain life and win.