PDA

View Full Version : [Deck] WhiteDrazi (White Urzatron Control)

Dsch
10-30-2011, 11:46 PM
// Lands
1 [TSP] Urza's Factory
4 [8E] Urza's Mine
4 [8E] Urza's Power Plant
4 [8E] Urza's Tower
1 [WWK] Eye of Ugin
4 [ZEN] Kabira Crossroads
6 [CS] Snow-Covered Plains

// Creatures
4 [ROE] Wall of Omens
4 [M12] Solemn Simulacrum
4 [SOM] Wurmcoil Engine
2 [ROE] Kozilek, Butcher of Truth
1 [ROE] Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre
1 [ROE] Emrakul, the Aeons Torn

// Spells
4 [ROE] Survival Cache
4 [ZEN] Expedition Map
4 [CHK] Ghostly Prison
4 [CFX] Path to Exile
2 [10E] Wrath of God
2 [M12] Druidic Satchel

// Sideboard
SB: 1 [10E] Wrath of God
SB: 4 [M11] Leyline of Sanctity
SB: 2 [TSB] Disenchant
SB: 3 [ZEN] Luminarch Ascension
SB: 1 [10E] Condemn
SB: 2 [10E] Pithing Needle
SB: 2 [LRW] Oblivion Ring

Mono White Control deck + The Tron and Eldrazi package.

The deck has awesome matchups against most of the common decks:

Aggro (Affinty, Zoo) : The deck stalls the game pretty well, mostly because of Ghostly Prison. They have no way to handle your Eldrazis. Wurmcoil also goes a long way in here.

Control (Blue Based Decks) : Control decks cant do nothing bout the Eldrazis. Expedition Map is a great card in here, fetches your missing Urzatron or Eye of Ugin. The Tron laughs at Mana Leak/Rune Snags. You may have dead cards pre-board, but still is a good matchup, and post board it gets easier.

Aggro Control (NLU or those Pox/Cloud decks) : NLU is pretty easy, as Cloud, but this last one can be hard if they land a Garruk (Planeswalkers are the things that this deck does not want to see). O-Ring/Needle helps you post board, if you have trouble.

Combo : Twin matchup is about resolving a Ghostly Prison or having Paths in hand. Disenchant post board will help you, but it is not hard. The other combo decks that may exist all get owned by Leyline/Needle.

Explanation bout some of the not very known cards:

Survival Cache : Great card, generates lot of digging and CA for you, and against Zoo and specially Burn based decks it is such a blast.

Druidic Satchel : Currently in test. Great card, but not always. Sometimes it is insane, some times it is not. If you have the Tron complete, this card is sick, as the mana cost wont be a problem.

Urzas Factory : Wins games sometimes. Against control mostly, when you are waiting for an Eldrazi/Map/Eye topdeck. Serves just like the same against aggro, as the workers blocks opposing creatures.

I would enjoy some input of you guys, tell me what you all think. It is a pretty good deck, i guarantee.

4eak
10-31-2011, 12:02 PM
Love the deck - I think it is a very interesting take on Urzatron Eldrazi. I'm worried about a few cards, but overall, this looks excellent. Ghostly Prison looks exceptionally good, handling both Twin and aggro decks. To me, this is the reason to go white.

Honestly, this is much slower than green, but it does have reasonable survivability. If the mana-base could be built (not impossible, but difficult) what do you think of a Green/white splash? You gain the best acceleration of green without a huge hit in your survivability, imho. Without green, even with Expedition Map, Urzatron is not reliable enough (it is a 'finishing mana-base', but not really integral to the deck in some sense) - this deck's non-Urzatron game needs to be consistent and impressive.

Despite what you said, I believe there are combo decks which can give you trouble.

I suggest trying Batterskull if you haven't (and trying it again if you have). Opposing removal is common in this format, and Batterskull plays nicely through it (unlike Wormcoil).

peace,
4eak

klaus
10-31-2011, 12:32 PM
Path over STP - you gotta be kiddin..
You never want to speed up your opponent's forces and the life gain is comparably irrelevant - you're the control deck after all.

4eak
10-31-2011, 12:50 PM
Not kidding - StP is not Legal in Modern.

peace,
4eak

Koby
10-31-2011, 01:00 PM
The old Standard list for this shell used Mindslaver + Bringer of the White Dawn. Does this combo have any merit here? What about Oblivion Stone?

Dsch
10-31-2011, 08:05 PM
@4eak

Thanks mate, happy to know you liked it.
A Green/White version may look good on paper, but im not convinced. Both decks use the same core, but this White version wants to control the game until the Eldrazis hit the table, and Green wants to hit them as fast as possible. I think it would not have focus. But a minor Green splash on this version (for Sylvan Scrying) can be considered.
As you stated, it is slower than green. I was playing myself the green version of the Urzatron Eldrazi. What made me move to White (other than the back-breaking Ghostly Prison) was the interaction that the color provides against aggro (that dominates the meta nowadays). I mean, if i felt control was stronger, I would be playing green, I guess.
With white, specially due the lifegain provided by Cache and Crossroads, the deck has a better game against aggro and still have the same qualities against control that the green deck does, only not as fast, but I dont see this as a problem, because on turn 5 or turn 10, an Emrakul wins the game the same way.
Also, you are right about the Urzatron, it is not as realiable as it is in the green version. I sometimes end games (mostly against aggro) w/o having the 3 pieces on table. But even in those matchups, the Tron can cheat games with Turn 1 Expedition Map, Turn 3 Wurmcoil. However, calling it unreliable is incorrect imo, as the Wall of Omens, Survival Cache and Simulacrum package digs up your deck pretty well.
About Batterskull, loved the sugestion. I will be trying it, for now, this way:
-1 Wurmcoil
-1 Druidic Satchel
+2 Batterskull

@ruckus

The combo is interesting, but it is slow against aggro/combo and unnecessary against control imo. With the mana from Tron, I want to be casting Eldrazis against those blue mages. And Oblivion Stone is a weak choice if you are running white, I guess.

Thank you guys for the input.

4eak
10-31-2011, 09:28 PM
Without the Expedition Map, but including all the cantrip effects of the deck, you need to see 20 cards before you break a 50% chance of seeing all 3 Urzatron cards. Consistency has built into it a notion of 'when' we expect to see something occur. I'm putting that line (not arbitrarily, imho) around turn 4 or 5 in this format. Even with Expedition map, that probably isn't happening in this deck - turn 7 or 8 looks like the average turn you get the full urzatron. It does have the survivability to do this, so I'm not outright against it.

peace,
4eak

Dsch
11-01-2011, 01:48 PM
Well, if you done the math, Im not arguing with the correct numbers. But yeah, turn 4/5 it is not the average turn the tron is complete.

TheG
11-05-2011, 08:13 AM
sorry guys an excellent land search 4 white is Weathered Wayfarer!!

Litorers
11-05-2011, 03:44 PM
Weathered wayfarer is good if you like letting your opponent play more land, hope they don't get mana-screwed, or if you're into fetching up ghost quarters.

This deck doesn't want to do any of this.

Dsch
11-05-2011, 04:26 PM
@TheG

My opinion is = to Litorers one about Wayfarer. I mean, I do not want to be missing land drops, therefore he would be good in the deck only when it is on the draw. He could be nice in the SB for those ocasions, but I think there are other cards to be picked first for the side.

About the deck, it continues to run smoothly. In my local store people are playing lots of Jund and Death Cloud, so I am keeping Wurmcoil over Batterskull. However, in MWS, where I test also, I usually play more Batterskulls, as PtE owns the Engine. I have 5 slots for these 2 by now. The only difference I made to the main deck from the one on the OP is -1 Druidic Satchel, +1 Batterskull.
The SB is looking like this now:
// Sideboard
SB: 1 [10E] Wrath of God
SB: 4 [M11] Leyline of Sanctity
SB: 2 [TSB] Disenchant
SB: 2 [ZEN] Luminarch Ascension
SB: 1 [10E] Condemn
SB: 1 [10E] Pithing Needle
SB: 2 [LRW] Oblivion Ring
SB: 1 [8E] Sacred Ground
SB: 1 [RAV] Suppression Field

Sacred Ground is in because, as said, I am facing a lot of Death Cloud decks (wich I do not see as a favorable matchup, even though I won more than lost against it). It is not great, but I can not remember anything better. Do you guys do? Serves also against Boom/Bust too.
Suppression Field come in against lots of decks. It is another shut-down card against Twin.
I removed a Luminarch Ascension mainly because the control matchup is so easy. The only thing that sucks is sticking with lots of dead cards post-SB, but thats ok, as I am winning lol.

Thank you guys for the input.

Mr. Safety
11-07-2011, 11:14 AM
Are you racing zoo ok, or is it a problematic matchup? I would say it isn't too bad, maybe 50/50 depending on if they play Gaddock Teeg in the sideboard.

How do you feel about: Mana Tithe and Dawn Charm?

Dsch
11-07-2011, 11:46 AM
@ Mr. Safety

Zoo is one of the easyest matchups. Before saying everything else, take in consideration that Ghostly Prison is MVP against them. But other than that, Kabira Crossroads + Survival Cache buys a A LOT of time, so you are normally dropping your Wurmcoil/Batterskull at 15/14 life, wich is pretty confortable. A PtE on your lifelink monster can be annoying, but normally your Wall of Omens already ate the removal (if not, you are blocking and PtEing them all day long). Also, Survival Cache almost always nets you the 2 cards (wich is huge), because they drop their life so bad with their lands.
About Gaddock, he is not that problematic. He stops only 3 cards of your whole 75. O-ring or PtE will take care of him normally (and only if you really need that WoG).
However, one thing that annoys the hell out of me, is Boom/Bust. Zoo decks playing that can be problematic.
Mana Tithe: This deck is more of a board control other than permission. On Early and Mid game you are almost always tapped out. As Mana Tithe is only useful on those situations, I would not play them, I guess.
Dawn Charm: Hmm, other than in a turbofog-kind of deck packing a Scepter, I can not see this card as a good one. I mean, I prefer to be dropping a Wall of Omens at two mana, or activating Expedition Map. The counterspell part can be good against discard, but those do not give me much trouble. The deck (suprisingly for a White one) packs lot of CA and cards that have cantrip effects.

Thanks for the input. (And sorry for any english mistakes, I fell i made some of them ahahah (it is not my mother-language, so...))

Mr. Safety
11-07-2011, 01:15 PM
@ Mr. Safety

Zoo is one of the easyest matchups. Before saying everything else, take in consideration that Ghostly Prison is MVP against them. But other than that, Kabira Crossroads + Survival Cache buys a A LOT of time, so you are normally dropping your Wurmcoil/Batterskull at 15/14 life, wich is pretty confortable. A PtE on your lifelink monster can be annoying, but normally your Wall of Omens already ate the removal (if not, you are blocking and PtEing them all day long). Also, Survival Cache almost always nets you the 2 cards (wich is huge), because they drop their life so bad with their lands.
About Gaddock, he is not that problematic. He stops only 3 cards of your whole 75. O-ring or PtE will take care of him normally (and only if you really need that WoG).
However, one thing that annoys the hell out of me, is Boom/Bust. Zoo decks playing that can be problematic.
Mana Tithe: This deck is more of a board control other than permission. On Early and Mid game you are almost always tapped out. As Mana Tithe is only useful on those situations, I would not play them, I guess.
Dawn Charm: Hmm, other than in a turbofog-kind of deck packing a Scepter, I can not see this card as a good one. I mean, I prefer to be dropping a Wall of Omens at two mana, or activating Expedition Map. The counterspell part can be good against discard, but those do not give me much trouble. The deck (suprisingly for a White one) packs lot of CA and cards that have cantrip effects.

Thanks for the input. (And sorry for any english mistakes, I fell i made some of them ahahah (it is not my mother-language, so...))

Thanks for the reply...it was only for discussion's sake. I'm toying with using Mana Tithe as sideboard tech in my zoo deck...to punish tap-out decks like this one! :wink:

Dawn Charm was not for the fog effect...it was mostly to protect your permanents (regenerate) or buying you a turn against Splinter-Twin (prevent all combat damage.) Doing both functions is why I suggest it...either function alone wouldn't be useful enough to waste slots on it.

BTW, I missed the Ghostly Prisons...solid hate for aggro, for sure. Totally agree...