PDA

View Full Version : [Deck] Kuldotha/Etherium

K-3
11-27-2011, 11:28 AM
Hi everybody, i would share my brand new rogue deck based on Kuldota Forgemaster & Master Transumter for a fast Blightsteel and some usefull interactions.. check this out!

Kuldota Etherium

// Manabase 20
10 [ZEN] Island (2a)
2 [TSP] Academy Ruins
4 [ZEN] Misty Rainforest
4 [DS] Darksteel Citadel

// Accelerators 8
4 [ALA] Etherium Sculptor
4 [ARC] Everflowing Chalice

// "Expendable" 12
4 [NPH] Mycosynth Wellspring
4 [MBS] Ichor Wellspring
4 [M12] Solemn Simulacrum

// Protection 8
4 [NPH] Spellskite
4 [FNM] Lightning Greaves

// Engine 8
4 [CFX] Master Transmuter
4 [SOM] Kuldotha Forgemaster

// Targets 4
1 [MBS] Blightsteel Colossus
1 [SOM] Platinum Emperion
1 [SOM] Myr Battlesphere
1 [MBS] Spine of Ish Sah

The deck tries to chat into play a blightsteel (or the other fatties, depending on the opponent's deck) with some protection/haste. if something go wrong the "expandibles" targets for kuldota don't give card dis-advantage so you can try to rebuild fast the strategy. Master transmuter is usefull to get some protection&tricks (bouncing and replaying the same artifact) like a recuccing vindicate for a simple :u: with Spine of ish sah or a Myr army bouncing Myr Battlesphere (+4 each time), or simply to draw a card/search/put some lands with Expandibles "comes into play (old errata,lol)" abilities + cheating blockers during combat step.

Thx for reading, i hope to hear some advices :)

tsabo_tavoc
11-27-2011, 12:06 PM
Awesome deck!

As the Wellsprings are not accelerants and the threat density is low (8 hardcastable), I would go -4 Fetchland, -8 Wellspring, +4 Seat of the Synod, +4 Wayfarer's Bauble, +2 Mox Opal, +2 Bomb (Wurmcoil Engine, Steel Hellkite).

Koby
11-27-2011, 01:00 PM
Awesome deck!

As the Wellsprings are not accelerants and the threat density is low (8 hardcastable), I would go -4 Fetchland, -8 Wellspring, +4 Seat of the Synod, +4 Wayfarer's Bauble, +2 Mox Opal, +2 Bomb (Wurmcoil Engine, Steel Hellkite).

Seat of the Synod is banned in Modern, but the Opals and Wayfarer's are good ideas. Thirst for Knowledge and/or Thoughtcast are both good ideas for this deck as well. Sundering Titan seems likea really good card in this format too.

K-3
11-27-2011, 05:43 PM
Sundering Titan = Awesome with Transmuter and also Duplicant

I like wurmcoil engine that don't produce card disadvantage with forgemaster, and is very helpful with aggro decks, i think maybe a x4 ...but with a lot of mana acceleration. Need some space for all those things

i was also testing a list without transmuter and with TfK/Fabricate.. but it has a too small threat density.

I fear that using transmuter is a classic "danger of cool things" due to the fact that the best interactions are activated by a "Kuldotha's target", mabye replacing master transmuter with Phyrexian Metamorph/Sculpting steel to take mana advantage of our wurmcoils or and being more aggro is the way.

Otherwise to boost the effectiveness of Tramsuter (combo style), i think that a tutor suite (fabricate) to bring in hand some fatties to sneak them into play with trasmuter is evvective too, but threats density remains low.

Davran
11-28-2011, 11:31 AM
What about Lodestone Golem? The deck is making me think of Metalworker MUD in legacy and the Golem is a big piece of that.

I'm not sure what Solemn Simulacrum is doing for you that something like Thoughtcast or Thirst for Knowledge wouldn't do better. Sure, he's a 2/2 artifact body that works decently well with Forgemaster/Master Transmuter, but I'm not sure he's the best choice in that slot. Thirst will also get that Blightsteel back into your deck if you draw it.

Sundering Titan absolutely destroys zoo (especially the chroma version) and is definitely worth a look.

Lastly, Mox Opal seems like an auto-include here. It gives you a slightly faster clock, and Forgemaster can always eat it in a pinch.

What about Grand Architect for something really crazy?

K-3
11-28-2011, 07:04 PM
Hi i built an aggro version Etheruim/Vedalken starting by your advices.
I realized that Trasmuter is good only with tutor suite or with redundancy of "when comes into play" artifacts/ fatties. On the other hand Kuldota has an high focused strategy and acts like a tutor. So the 2 cards appear to be in contrast and merge those 2 strategies becomes difficult while trying to increase the threat density.

So i tried using your advices and suggestion to build a MUD-like deck.

Etheruim/Vedalken Aggromud

// Lands
2 [TSP] Academy Ruins
14 [ROE] Island (2)
4 [ZEN] Misty Rainforest

// Mana Dorks
4 [DS] Vedalken Engineer
4 [SOM] Grand Architect

// Threats
4 [NPH] Phyrexian Metamorph
4 [WWK] Lodestone Golem
4 [SOM] Wurmcoil Engine
4 [SOM] Steel Hellkite

// CA-Engine
4 [DDF] Faerie Mechanist
4 [ARC] Duplicant

an Creature-only build to maximize the effect of Thorn of Amethist (side vs combo) and that supports well also Master of etherium (side vs aggro). Deck is quite simple, with a stright aggro strategy...but suffers mass removals a lot...moreover trasmuter remains still underused in this build and mana denial (lodestone) without land denial is quite uneffective...but maybe -1 Wurmcoil -1 Hellkite +2 Sundeing/Spine of Ish Sah.

Edit: -1 Duplicant -1 Wurm -1 Hellkite +3 Sundering Titan works fine.
Edit2: -4 Faerie Mechanist +4 Skill Borrower .. yes we don't have any topdeck manipulation but with 8 "activated abilities" ManaDorks 4 Transmuters 3 Hellkite + nice interactions with Academy Ruins...moreover it's a blue artifact creature => useful to Grand Architect's mana and receives mana acc. from all mana dorks. Alternatives: Everflowing Calice & Master of Etherium

Davran
11-29-2011, 08:41 AM
I still think this deck is looking for some form of card advantage, likely via Thoughtcast. It's still easily castable through Lodestone Golem and/or Thorn of Amethyst, and it seems like it will really help you find threats to play with all of that colorless mana. Besides, Master Transmuter relies on a hand full of artifacts to cheat into play.

I also think your sideboard should start with a pile of Spellskite to help counteract Punishing Fire decks and most of Zoo's burn since a large portion of your creatures just roll over and die in that situation. Worst case he keeps Tarmogoyf off of your back for a turn or two.

Overall the list looks like it's pretty fun to play. Now we just need to work out the right balance of threats, mana dorks, and spells...because 4x everything may not necessarily be correct.

K-3
11-29-2011, 11:59 AM
You're right but i never felt the need of a drawengine..from now, but i'm searching resilency post wrath...that being a aggro deck really hurts us.

However, Everflowing Chalice 100% promoted to MD - acceleration with 2-4 cc or more in lategame (if reaplyed trought Master T.) saved me a couple of times from 3 Ghostly prision and some Erayos.

To counter Mass removals -4 Islands (back to 10) +4 Buried Ruins side by side with Academy Ruins + I would try Scarecrone

I totally agree with Spellskite, playing vs zoo or burn is difficult right now.

Current List:
Etherium/Vedalken

// Lands
2 [TSP] Academy Ruins
10 [ROE] Island (2)
4 [ZEN] Misty Rainforest
4 [M12] Buried Ruin

// Creatures
4 [DS] Vedalken Engineer
4 [SOM] Grand Architect
4 [NPH] Phyrexian Metamorph
4 [WWK] Lodestone Golem
3 [ARC] Duplicant
3 [SOM] Steel Hellkite
3 [SOM] Wurmcoil Engine
3 [ARC] Sundering Titan

// Spells
4 [DDF] Everflowing Chalice

// Sideboard
Skill Borrower
Chalice of the Void
Scarecrone
Spellskite
Phyrexian Revoker

EDIT: i was thinking about Treasure Mage...it has the same cost of fabricate, is a blue creature (adds mana with Grand Architect and is a chumpblocker)...maybe it's worhty waht do you think about it?