PDA

View Full Version : [Deck] Mono Black Control?

Phototoxin
12-03-2011, 08:05 PM
Just wondering how something like this would run, and if it's worth building:

Phyrexian Obliterator 4
Ravenous Rats 3
Wurmcoil Engine 2
gatekeeper of mal 3
batterskull 2
lilly of the veil 1
lilly vess 2
duress 3
inq of koz 3
damnation 2
sign in blood 4
geth's verdict 4
Go for the Throat 3

Swamp 16
Spawning pool 4
Verdant catacomb 3
urborg tomb of yawgmoth 1

Sideboard/other options:
memoricide
surgical extraction
consume the meek
nihil spellbomb
shreikmaw
consuming vapours?
praetors grasp
doomblade / smother
dismember?

---
Is it a viable deck makeup - heavy on the discard/sacrifice until you get an uncontested beater out?

sporenfrosch1411
12-04-2011, 08:59 AM
Since you're too lazy to even type out the card's names or use card-tags on it, why exactly do you think anyone would mind helping you? This thread makes my eyes bleed.
And seriously.... Ravenous Rats? You are kidding, right?

nedleeds
12-27-2011, 04:45 PM
I ran (almost) Mono Black Control last Thursday at a 25 man modern. I went 3-2 in swiss and barely squeaked into top 8.

Here's my list:

3 Life from the Loam
3 Phyrexian Obliterator
1 Tombstalker
4 Vampire Nighthawk
4 Gatekeeper of Malakir
4 Shriekmaw
3 Phyrexian Arena
3 Maelstrom Pulse
1 Garruk Relentless
2 Liliana of the Veil
3 Ghost Quarter
3 Overgrown Tomb
4 Verdant Catacombs
3 Marsh Flats
1 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
9 Swamp
4 Thoughtseize
3 Cultivate
1 Corrupt
1 Worm Harvest

SB: 2 Corrupt
SB: 1 Haunting Echoes
SB: 4 Geth's Verdict
SB: 4 Deathmark
SB: 4 Surgical Extraction

I forgot my Damnations, the 2 corrupts in the board should have been 2 Damnations. This cost me 2 of my losses vs. Elves. I also forgot to put a plain old forest in as I was scrambling to assemble this deck and loan 2 other decks out to friends. There are 3 to 4 Emrakul ramp decks lurking in the store and I have 12 dedicated cards in the board to deal with that garbage. My wet dream was to Thoughtseize Emrakul and Extract his broken ass. The haunting echoes were for the couple solar flar'ish decks that showed up last week ... that card is GG vs. that pile.

Round One: Paired vs. my friend with my Elf / 17 Lord Beatdown deck. Game one he just swarms me. I bring in 4 death marks. I don't draw a Deathmark or a Shriekmaw and he just swarms me and rolls me. Even worse I have to get a Forest and the alpha strike with Elvish Champion just rolls on through. I can't beat elves without either EE or Damnation.

Round Two: Emrakul ramp. Game one is attrition with Shriekmaws on his green ramp things (Wall of Roots, Overgrown Battlement) and pushing through with Gatekeepers, I finally get a Nighthawk and an Obliterator after drawing 5-6 extra cards from arena and I finish him. In come 12 cards, I roll him with endless removal, get arena going and have 6 removal spells in hand including 3 Edict's when a Tombstalker finishes him.

Round Three: My other loaned deck, W/g Glitter Mid Range. I'm pretty sure I lose to Mirran Crusader on the spot. Game one he gets an elspethed jumped Crusader and just rapes me. I bring in edict's and deathmarks. I figure I can deathmark everything but the knight of eternal rape and then edict him. I shriekmaw everything not named Mirran Crusader and Edict his crusader, I get Liliana control established with Loam and then eventually draw into an Obliterator. Game three is the same thing I get an Arena active and have too much removal I corrupt his last KotR for 9. Drop an Obliterator and roll.

Round Four: Modern D&T. He opens on 2 vials and 5-6 dudes. I draw nothing but Gatekeeper who is just too slow on the draw, especially when dudes are dropping in during my end step. I really need to draw Maelstrom Pulse and don't. Game 2 I board in 8 spot removal spells. I draw none of them after keeping a 5 land, Cultivate, Nighthawk hand. I get rolled. This match up shouldn't be nearly as poor ... EE would help a great deal.

Round Five: Emrakul / Titan Green Ramp. I thoughtseize early, and kill the mana producers, I start drawing with Arena. He luck sacks an Emrakul off Summoner's Trap but by now I have a bunch of lands, a Gatekeeper who is ready to die for the cause and 2 Nighthawks. He swings in for 6 annihilator but I power out of it after Deathtouching Emrakul. He gets another one off another Summoner's Trap and I block with Nighthawk, annihilate down to land, land. Drop a Tombstalker and finish him. That's right I got A6'ed twice and won. Second game he keeps a slow hand and I just roll him with dudes.

Top 8: I get rolled by Elves and draw no Deathmarks in game 2. Nothing exciting here, my opponent makes nearly one mistake per turn and still beats me because I have no sweepers.

Overall I like the deck concept. Gatekeeper was underwhelming. I'd probably put my Goyfs in (they were in another deck), and add a forest. I'd put some combination of EE and / or Damnation in the sideboard. Overall it's a nice control deck. Phyrexian Arena is insane, Nighthawk is pretty good, Obliterator makes a nice finisher. Worm Harvest never really paid off, I could probably ditch it for some other bomb ... I was thinking Demon who is Phyrexian Arena or maybe the Liege who makes dudes. I could also ditch Loam and run Grim Discovery.

The first post in this thread is worthless.

12-27-2011, 07:32 PM
I think Death Cloud decks are just better right now.

nedleeds
12-28-2011, 12:34 PM
I think Smallpox is better than Death Cloud in 9 out of 10 situations. Also what does a statement like 'right now' even mean for modern? There are no tourneys, no real metagame. Modern right *now* is more about your local store (if they even can get 20+ for Modern).

Madak17
12-29-2011, 10:48 AM
I started a Modern MBC (http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/showthread.php?22140-Deck-Mono-Black-Control) thread a few months ago.

Overall I think Modern MBC has many, many tastey cards available to it. Here's my old list:

//24 Lands
12 Swamp
1 Dragonskull Summit
1 Drowned Catacomb
4 Gemstone Mine
2 Ghost Quarter
1 Isolated Chapel
2 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
1 Woodland Cemetery

//14 Creatures
3 Typhoid Rats
3 Nantuko Shade
4 Gatekeeper of Malakir
3 Phyrexian Obliterator
1 Batterskull

//5 Creature Kills
3 Geth's Verdict
2 Damnation

//6 Utilities
3 Engineered Explosives
1 Elixir of Immortality
1 Crucible of Worlds
1 Phyrexian Arena

//7 Discards
3 Duress
3 Inquisition of Kozilek
1 Painful Quandary

//4 Searches
3 Beseech the Queen
1 Liliana Vess

//Sideboard
4 Funeral Charm
3 Raven's Crime
4 Leyline of the Void
4 Memoricide

I've got some new card changes to make, but I think the general setup is still the same.