PDA

View Full Version : [Deck] Extraplanar Snow Control

K-3
12-13-2011, 12:05 PM
Hi everyone, i've seen good result of control decks recently, but 'cose i don't like to netdeck a famous list, i thought to build a new one .

First of all i thought how I can take advantage over my opponent :

:1: Mana advantage:

i started with a UG build with Magusof candelabra and enchantress's accelerators, but it suffered removals to much, so i switched to Extraplanar Lens, that form some tests seemed to me more cosistent due to a bigger counter count MD. With lens it was obvious using Snow-Covered Island to annul the simmetry. with the mana doubled the advantage of playing counters is agumented too and Rewind becomes a valuable card to make 2-3 spells on op's EOT.

:2: Card Advantage:

A lot of mana means that overcosted unused spells becomes aviable. Jace's Ingenuity it's a powerhouse +2CA istant speed.. renews hand when needed. Cryptic Command is now easyer to play and makes an easy +1. Spell Burst to block small op. spells without sacrifying a counter. All Is Dust clean the board from everithing that eluded our counters, not only creatures like the most used wipers of the format does. (4 afffinity i would side in Evaquation but i managed to block g1 with a large counter count), Karn Liberated as multiple targeted removal. Moreover,Vedalken Shackles form legacy's MUC to take advantage of an aggro op.

:3: GameBreaking:

Tons of mana means Eldrazi. 2 differents solutions: Mid Range with Kozilek, +4CA uncounterable and 12/12 Anilhator4 beatstick, and with only 10cmc we could manage to protect him well. Emrakul instead is a proper gamender...15 mana FTW. 1 Eye of Ugin to reduce dead cards while adding :2: extra mana for All Is Dusts

:4: List:

// Lands
23 [CS] Snow-Covered Island
1 [WWK] Eye of Ugin

// Creatures
1 [ROE] Kozilek, Butcher of Truth
1 [ROE] Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
2 [MOR] Vendilion Clique

// Spells
2 [TSP] Spell Burst
4 [DD2] Condescend
4 [M12] Mana Leak
2 [FD] Vedalken Shackles
4 [MR] Extraplanar Lens
4 [LRW] Cryptic Command
2 [9E] Rewind
4 [M11] Jace's Ingenuity
4 [ROE] All Is Dust
2 [NPH] Karn Liberated

:5: Exluded Ones:

1. Thirst for Knowledge it would be a nice card draw with some more atifacts and Academy Ruins but due to the lack of tutoring and recursion i preferred to use Jace's drawer.
2. Snapcaster Mage was in place of Vendillion, i really like snapcasters but i prefer to play them with some Echoing Truth to maximize effects, plus i don't know what take out.

:6: Problems:

1: "t1 void" to fill: Spell Snare? Spell Pierce? Wayfarer's Bauble? what do you think?
2: No lifegain, no party.. with many decks (burn first of all) counters are insufficient and wipers doesn't count much. cards like Batterskull o Wurmcoil Engine (maybe with Academy Ruins) could be helpfull, MD or SB?

Thx for reading :D

Pastorofmuppets
12-13-2011, 07:06 PM
Shouldn't you be running Scrying Sheets?
And also, run some topdeck manipulation with that. You'll love the result.

K-3
12-14-2011, 07:06 AM
Shouldn't you be running Scrying Sheets?
And also, run some topdeck manipulation with that. You'll love the result.

thx for your contribution! what do you suggest as manipulation?? Mystic Speculation

last changes

- 1 SnowCovered
- 1 Eye of Ugin
- 1 Kozilek
- 1 Emrakul
- 2 Rewind
- 2 Vendillion

2 Academy Ruins
3 Spell Snare
2 Batterskull
1 Whispers of the Muse

That's a lighter version with that fills all the 2 problem i found before, moreover Whispers allows a slow but inesorable CA when Lens are active.

i will insert x2 Scrying Sheets maybe with -1 Extraplanar -1 Snow-Covered or -2 Snow-Covered

what do you think?

Dsch
12-15-2011, 08:12 PM
Loved the concept, very creative, congratz.

Well, for starters, is very vunerable to artifact hate, and thanks to affinity, thats out there. You can give your opp. a free Stone Rain. But that can be avoided, I guess, with good decisions, like playing with counter backup, but still, Ancient Grudge will be annoying.
Also, the list you posted will probably get stomped by Affinity and Zoo on the draw, and even on the play most of the times. I sugest Ratchet Bomb + Academy Ruins package. Ruins let you play Mindslaver as a win-con, also. You need a blocker for the early turn too. Steel Wall may be good, but do not go well w/ Bomb, so Spellskite can work. I would try this list:

// Lands
1 [TSP] Academy Ruins
24 [CS] Snow-Covered Island
1 [FUT] Tolaria West

// Creatures
4 [NPH] Spellskite

// Spells
1 [SOM] Mindslaver
2 [NPH] Batterskull
2 [TSP] Spell Burst
3 [NPH] Karn Liberated
4 [MR] Extraplanar Lens
3 [M11] Jace's Ingenuity
3 [ROE] All Is Dust
4 [LRW] Cryptic Command
4 [FD] Condescend
4 [SOM] Ratchet Bomb

It is a sketch, but seems ok. You probably need Spell Snares or Spell Pierces to win the counter-wars on resolving an early Lens vs. Control.

tsabo_tavoc
12-16-2011, 09:48 AM
// Lands
1 [TSP] Academy Ruins
1 [FUT] Tolaria West

// Creatures
4 [NPH] Spellskite

// Spells
1 [SOM] Mindslaver
2 [NPH] Batterskull
2 [TSP] Spell Burst
3 [NPH] Karn Liberated
4 [MR] Extraplanar Lens
3 [M11] Jace's Ingenuity
3 [ROE] All Is Dust
4 [LRW] Cryptic Command
4 [FD] Condescend
4 [SOM] Ratchet Bomb

It is a sketch, but seems ok. You probably need Spell Snares or Spell Pierces to win the counter-wars on resolving an early Lens vs. Control.

I really like the idea and this list looks even better. Spellskite also protects your Lens from hates.

The problem is without tutors or cantrips, 47% of the game you don't draw into Lens before turn 3. By also having 4 Drift of Phantasms, the odds dropped to 21%, benefiting once out of four games. For Lens centric builds, I believe Drift is essential as well as few more cantrips. For builds less dependent on Lens, one needs to have a good game plan for half of the times without Lens' presence. Don't know where this deck wants to go.

K-3
12-16-2011, 12:45 PM
// Lands
1 [TSP] Academy Ruins
1 [FUT] Tolaria West

// Creatures
4 [NPH] Spellskite

// Spells
1 [SOM] Mindslaver
2 [NPH] Batterskull
2 [TSP] Spell Burst
3 [NPH] Karn Liberated
4 [MR] Extraplanar Lens
3 [M11] Jace's Ingenuity
3 [ROE] All Is Dust
4 [LRW] Cryptic Command
4 [FD] Condescend
4 [SOM] Ratchet Bomb

I really like the idea and this list looks even better. Spellskite also protects your Lens from hates.

Spellskite Yes, deck suffers stright aggro decks, moreover helps with Burn... however isn't a control combo like Pilipala/Architect, i don't care about artifact removals, i was always been able to couter till now.

Ratchet Bomb: good call, i would run 3 splitting the removal suite to 3 bomb 2-3 dust 2 Karn to not overweight the deck and be completly dipendent by lens.

The problem is without tutors or cantrips, 47% of the game you don't draw into Lens before turn 3. By also having 4 Drift of Phantasms, the odds dropped to 21%, benefiting once out of four games. For Lens centric builds, I believe Drift is essential as well as few more cantrips. For builds less dependent on Lens, one needs to have a good game plan for half of the times without Lens' presence. Don't know where this deck wants to go.

I don't think it's a big problem to cast Lens on T4-5, first turns the deck can handle well op (i was testing my last build without sheets) without mana acceleration, as a normal control deck. You can also cast Ingenuity for 5 at t5..it happend to me many times.

Running a cc3 sorcery speed tutor isn't in the philosofy of this deck i think. and drawing in the midlate lens seem functional to protect our "main" spell and win with some buyback or others game breaker spells

Dsch
12-16-2011, 01:34 PM
Spellskite is needed, in my opinion. An Ancient Grudge has the potential to be game-winning devastating against agressive decks. The facts that it blocks very well and it protects you from the infamous burn topdecks after you mananged to control the board are just pluses (does that word exist in english lol).
I guess Fabricate would be better than Drift, as the last one is sorcery speed as well. Grabs Spellskite if you already hit a Lens, a Batterskull or Bomb, or even Mindslaver when you just need it for the win. It is counterable thought, but good players wont be countering a Fabricate imo.
The games I tested the list posted by me, the main win-con was Karn. Its ultimate is absolutly game winning, to my suprise. You can control the game pretty well after hitting a Lens or Two and having Spell Burst or other counter backup in hand. However, the deck is kinda slow. I guess 4-of of a cantrip (Serum/Sleigh) would help a lot, as you need to stop aggro burst on early turns.

Jeff Kruchkow
12-17-2011, 06:03 PM
Gauntlet of Power seems as good as or better than Lens. So few people run basics in large numbers its still usually one sided and it doesn't fight itself by eating your own lands.