PDA

View Full Version : [DECK] All-In Kuldotha Red

Hireax
12-14-2011, 08:40 AM
Since the start of the Modern format in M:tG I've been pondering about what aggro lists could do well. Especially before the bannings it seemed difficult to acquire a good deck that could consistently beat all the combo flying around.

Include in this mix my love for red as a magic color and you've got enough to think about. Long have I been intruiged by building a consistent Kiln Fiend based deck, but it always catches removal and thus these decks became far less viable.

Now I've been setting up a list for Kuldotha Red as a port from the former Type 2 deck.

We've got so many interesting things flying about right now that this could a very fast deck which can still pressurise in the mid-game.

NOTE: Thus far this is a testlist from the top of my head and it still needs testing and tweaking.

4x Kuldotha Rebirth

//Creatures (16)
4x Memnite
4x Signal Pest
4x Goblin Guide
4x Goblin Wardriver

//Burn (12)
4x Lightning Bolt
4x Shrapnel Blast
4x Goblin Grenade

//Carddraw (9)
3x Gitaxian Probe
3x Ichor Wellspring
3x Browbeat

//Land (19)
15x Mountain
4x Darksteel Citadel

//Sideboard (15)
2xChalice of the Void
4xSmash to Smithereens
4xSeismic Shudder
3xRelic of Progenitus
2xNeedle Drop

The choices seem obvious. Make use of the 5dmg burn spells after you've used your creatures/artifacts the most optimal you can.

There are a few cards I am still not sure about, but haven't made the deck for now.

Mox Opal Could work wonders, but our focus should then shift more towards artifacts

Other 3 for 1 burn, it seems suboptimal to cut cards for the extra points of burn damage. Only G.Probe could be cut for this in my opinion.

Needle Drop 1dmg/1card for 1 mana ain't bad, but is this good enough? 2 in the side for now.

I would love to hear more opinions on this type of deck.

Cheers,
Kevin/Hireax

Mr. Safety
12-14-2011, 10:02 AM
I might consider Needle Drop maindeck instead of Gitaxian Probe...life loss is an issue in modern considering the power level of zoo. Facing off against a traditional sligh deck might be problematic as well...and Gitaxian Probe is lousy against both of those decks. Needle Drop cantrips and helps your clock (if only slightly.)

Chalice of the Void seems to blank way too many of your 1 mana spells to really be an option in the sideboard. Trinisphere would be a little bettr I think in that slot. You can set up your explosive early game and then drop Trinisphere to slow down/halt the combo decks.

What is Seismic Shudder for? I think Earthquake or Volcanic Fallout would be more useful, maybe even just using Searing Blaze.

Hireax
12-14-2011, 12:49 PM
Well probe should go. That's true, needle drop will make the cut then :)

Cotv is in there against living end en hyper combo, yet I'm to unfamiliar with the format to see if those are viable decks. Shudder is mainly there against etw kind of combo but I agree sphere could be decent here.

Only issue I see for sphere is my land count.

How about contested war zone at the citadel slot?

Mr. Safety
12-14-2011, 12:55 PM
Chalice @0 would work against Living End and Restore Balance...Hypergenesis is banned.

Most EtW decks with a bunch of gobbos also use Goblin Bushwhacker...Seismic Shudder seems pretty good for that use, definately better than Pyroclasm. My experience with modern storm has been to maindeck Pyromancer's Swath + Grapeshot...and sideboard the Warrens/Whacker plan. Swath-Grapeshot is going to be a little more explosive than your deck...your deck wins by turn 4-5 on average (guesstiamting)...Grape/Swath can win turn 3-4 consistently enough to race you.

I wouldn't be too worried about combo, TBH. The most prevalent combo deck is Splinter Twin, which means you would be better suited to play something like Engineered Explosives or Ratchet Bomb. You can destroy all of the tokens for 2 mana that way, and both of those have use beyond just Splinter Twin. Ratchet Bomb in particular seems like a decent sideboard option.

Look into Shrine of Burning Rage...seems like a good card to squeeze 2-of in your deck.

Admiral_Arzar
12-14-2011, 02:26 PM
I played this deck rather extensively in standard. Cards like Needle Drop do NOT belong in an "All-In" strategy. Goblin Bushwhacker, and possibly Devastating Summons need to be in here as both of them can end the game extremely fast. I even played Ornithopter and Contested War Zone in the standard version as your goal is to be attacking with an army as early as turn 2. You cannot slow this deck down by adding in midgame elements, otherwise you might as well just be playing Zoo.

EDIT: Mr. Safety, a well constructed K-Red list should be able to race Twin pretty easily - if it becomes a problem we can run Combust in the board. Note that EE @ 0 and Ratchet Bomb don't kill the the Pestermites/Exarchs as they have converted mana cost of 3.

Mr. Safety
12-14-2011, 02:42 PM
I played this deck rather extensively in standard. Cards like Needle Drop do NOT belong in an "All-In" strategy. Goblin Bushwhacker, and possibly Devastating Summons need to be in here as both of them can end the game extremely fast. I even played Ornithopter and Contested War Zone in the standard version as your goal is to be attacking with an army as early as turn 2. You cannot slow this deck down by adding in midgame elements, otherwise you might as well just be playing Zoo.

EDIT: Mr. Safety, a well constructed K-Red list should be able to race Twin pretty easily - if it becomes a problem we can run Combust in the board. Note that EE @ 0 and Ratchet Bomb don't kill the the Pestermites/Exarchs as they have converted mana cost of 3.

Sorry about that...I thought they were tokens, ergo tokens don't have a converted mana cost so are treated as zero.

I also forgot about Combust...a much better option, for sure. Thanks for the note!

Hireax
12-15-2011, 02:45 AM
Thank you for the replies thus far. Although the name of the deck might not correspond with all of the actual cards in here I am still curious about the strength of this deck when having some midgame back up. You don't want to run out of gas too soon but how can we stop this from happening without losing its entire explosiveness? Or is this just a one way or the other kind of option?

Admiral_Arzar
12-15-2011, 09:12 AM
Thank you for the replies thus far. Although the name of the deck might not correspond with all of the actual cards in here I am still curious about the strength of this deck when having some midgame back up. You don't want to run out of gas too soon but how can we stop this from happening without losing its entire explosiveness? Or is this just a one way or the other kind of option?

It is a one way or the other kind of problem. If you want midgame strength, play Zoo. The only reason this deck is playable over Zoo is that it wins faster. Your opponent is often dead before they can wrath or drop sufficient blockers - especially if they are taking damage from shocklands or slowing themselves down with taplands.

Hireax
12-15-2011, 09:32 AM
That's what I had anticipated :P.

I sort of altered my list and posted it on a Dutch site.

http://www.nedermagic.nl/deck_item.asp?deckid=106156

This seems like there's more of a unity in the deck :)

Admiral_Arzar
12-15-2011, 02:07 PM
That's what I had anticipated :P.

I sort of altered my list and posted it on a Dutch site.

http://www.nedermagic.nl/deck_item.asp?deckid=106156

This seems like there's more of a unity in the deck :)

Looking better, but I still really don't like Browbeat here. I would replace it with more burn or another pump effect (Wardriver or maybe that janky red buyback spell from Future Sight, I don't remember what it's called).

Mr. Safety
12-15-2011, 04:17 PM

No...but I checked with a judge and the token copies have no converted mana cost, therefore EE and Ratchet Bomb @0 can destroy all of the copies. I'm not 100% sure, but it makes sense...I was't saying to kill the original Exarch/Pestermite...just the copies which are tokens.

Hireax
12-16-2011, 03:08 AM
@Mr. Safety

Well if that is the case, it is EE @ 0 for the win against token based decks. :)

Sure I'd blow up my Memnites/Thopters, but I'd be sacking them to Shrapnel Blast anyway.

Not sure on which slot I could try Shrine of Burning Rage

Dsch
12-16-2011, 01:39 PM
Browbeat and Ichor Wellspring does not seems cool.
What about Galvanic Blast or Haze of Rage? Also, Mox Opals and Darksteel Citatels should be replacing some Mountains.

boneclub24
12-17-2011, 03:17 AM
http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/showthread.php?22589-Deck-Kuldotha-Red

:\