PDA

View Full Version : [Deck] Black Poison Aggro-Control

Hireax
12-22-2011, 07:34 AM
Dear all,

This is a deck I have been brainstorming about ever since JvL (Jacob van Lunen) discussed this in his Building on a Budget column a while ago.

This essentially is an initial list I have been pondering about, but I feel could be a viable deck against much of the format. I do have to mention that I haven't tested this yet, due to a lack of time, but that I feel this is worth sharing in a seperate topic.

//Poison Dudes 10
4x Phyrexian Crusader
3x Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon
3x Inkmoth Nexus

//Control Elements 18
3x Inquisition of Kozilek
3x Duress
4x Virulent Wound
3x Go for the throat
3x Nameless Inversion
2x Wrench Mind

//Pump 6
3x Lashwrithe
3x Mutagenic Growth

//Draw 3
3x Sign in Blood

//Land 23
4x Verdant Catacombs
19x Swamp

Card choices:
10 lads with the infect mechanic is enough for a deck reliant on early game control. Inserted only three Dragons and three Nexi (is this plural?) as we don't really need these in the early game, drawing a second would mean overstretching ourselves.

We've got a fairly adaptable control package. I'd consider adding a few more of the less than 4 copies of the cards so we can improve creaturebased/ creatureless matchups.

Lashwrithe is without doubt an MvP in the deck, he pumps a dude with an insane amount of power and this can usually hit the board before an infect guy does. Not sure about Mutagenic Growth as this seems a win more condition, but added it since, as aforementioned, I haven't had time to test the deck.

23 land seems like a decent number to often hit 5. Besides we also run the 3 nexi so a 26 land in total if we need the collorless mana from Nexus.

As far as I have this considered, here's an optional sideboard

4x Surgical Extraction Byebye combo
1x Go for the Throat
1x Nameless Inversion
4x Relic of Progenitus GY-based decks
4x Black sun's zenith Token based strategies suffer from this
1x Wrench Mind

I only feel like I'm lacking a good card against Twin Combo.
EDIT: Black Sun obviously does well against TwinCombo. 1 -1/-1 counter is enough to stop Exarch from attacking no matter how many there will be on the field

Help would be highly appreciated. :)

Yours sincerely,
Hireax :smile:

Hireax
12-23-2011, 05:39 AM
Well I'm going to react to my own thread :P.

But basically because I had these thoughts over the last day.

How would the deck be affected by adding Heartless Summoning and trading Phyrexian Crusader for Phyrexian Vatmother

This way we can cast our big poison fellows for 2 and 3 mana, thus allowing us to keep control over the board after we cast these.

I'm not yet convinced myself, but it could be an interesting path to explore

Phoenix Ignition
12-23-2011, 06:21 PM
With only 7 creatures you're better off just running some mana acceleration cards (-1/-1 is terrible, it's like doing 2 less damage), and then in doubles it doesn't stop your ability to actually hurt someone with poison.
Honestly, though, I think no one is commenting because there's not a lot to make this idea better. The green stompy infect just looks better.