PDA

View Full Version : Booming 'walkers

Shadowmap
01-09-2012, 03:25 PM
I wanted to design a deck that attacked the Modern format from a different angle than is currently being explored. The concept of land destruction and grinding an opponent out is one that I try to explore in each new format I play, and this is my take on it for Modern.

(loosely inspired by Frank Lepore at TCGPlayer (http://magic.tcgplayer.com/db/article.asp?ID=10234))

4 Boom // Bust
2 Duress
4 Inquisition of Kozilek
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Lightning Helix
4 Smallpox

2 Engineered Explosives

// 4 Sorin, Lord of Innistrad
3 Ajani Vengeant
4 Elspeth, Knight-Errant
4 Liliana of the Veil

4 Arid Mesa
1 Blood Crypt
1 Fetid Heath
4 Flagstones of Trokair
2 Godless Shrine
2 Graven Cairns
4 Marsh Flats
1 Plains
2 Sacred Foundry
4 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth

The RBW color scheme comes from the cards I'm attempting to abuse, namely
Smallpox
Boom // Bust
Flagstones of Trokair

These allow you to pull ahead on mana, coupled with discard you plan to severely disrupt your opponent's progress. The win-cons that I want to pursue are Planeswalkers, predominately because they are generally difficult to interact with.

EDIT:
I have a feeling Sorin, Lord of Innistrad is going to be in here, for those that haven't seen him yet...
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/dka/9xh27x1cck_en.jpg
Liliana of the Veil
Ajani Vengeant
Elspeth, Knight-Errant

Sorin can protect himself, as well as being a way to help your stabilize and close out a game. I don't know if he would be better than Elspeth, both perform similar roles. A straight swap was my first reaction upon seeing him, but using both together could be extremely profitable as they can each take advantage of the other's second ability (4/4 Flying Lifelink is pretty good I hear).

Liliana adds to your plan of discard, as well as being able to take out an early creature that may have gotten online through your disruption.

Ajani adds to the mana denial plan (keeping lands tapped) as well as being a win-con/removal with his Lightning Helix ability.

Elspeth is the main win-con, making a 1/1 and sending it to the sky should be a fairly quick way to end the game when coupled with burn & opposing pain lands.

I have no SB as yet, but I like the idea of adding a set of Demigod of Revenges after g1 when the opponent has hopefully boarded out most of their removal (i.e. Path to Exile).

Unfortunately I haven't had a chance to test this beyond goldfishing, but I'm very curious as to what people think of the idea. I'll edit the OP as necessary to explain any confusing card selection, and will gladly accept and constructive criticism.

Dsch
01-09-2012, 04:38 PM
I saw the article too, and tried to make my version, but got no sucess. Still, like the article writer, I think there is a cool deck to be discovered.
Nice to see you cut the Demigods, they really seem bad. Hope you get this going, mate.
As for sugestions, what I can think without much time:
Cryoclasm/Fulminator Mage may be an addition to SB, for those matchups where you will want less removal.

02-05-2012, 02:34 AM
Gideon Jura seems like the perfect fit for this deck (keeps their resolved threats off your other walkers). Maybe -1 Elspeth, -1 Sorin, +2 Gideon. Phyrexian Arena might be a card to keep in mind as well.

Mr. Safety
02-06-2012, 09:01 AM
I see a huge opportunity for this deck, and that is working on a 3-mana minimum converted cost (except for Boom//Bust) and including some cascade tech. Violent Outbust is even an instant...

There would need to be some changes to the setup (which might be deal-breaking, TBH) but the potential for cascading into a Bust each game seems pretty sexy.

Pastorofmuppets
02-07-2012, 01:03 PM
I see a huge opportunity for this deck, and that is working on a 3-mana minimum converted cost (except for Boom//Bust) and including some cascade tech. Violent Outbust is even an instant...

There would need to be some changes to the setup (which might be deal-breaking, TBH) but the potential for cascading into a Bust each game seems pretty sexy.

It would be pretty hilarious to use Outburst to win with Elspeth/Sorin tokens.
Have you considered new Garruk in a list with green?

MSC
02-09-2012, 05:15 PM
I'm missing Ghost Quarter as a way to abuse Boom // Bust....

Also playing a legendary land as a 4-off seems to stretch it...

Greenpoe
02-10-2012, 12:22 AM
Crack the Earth seems like it could be flat out broken in this deck. With all the bolts to kill their creatures, it'll at worst be a 1 mana Boom. At best, you lose a 1/1 token, they lose a land. Plus, the possibility of turn 1 land destruction sounds pretty epic.

Mr. Safety
02-29-2012, 10:07 AM
I'm missing Ghost Quarter as a way to abuse Boom // Bust....

Also playing a legendary land as a 4-off seems to stretch it...

Boom targets your land rather than having a sacrifice effect as part of the cost. You target one of your lands and respond by using Ghost Quarter to destroy the same land, dig out another land for yourself, and your opponent still loses a land. This makes Ghost Quarter useful against non-Urza-tron decks.