SB: 2 [DS] Trinisphere
SB: 1 [TSB] Tormod's Crypt
SB: 3 [M12] Combust
SB: 2 [DS] Echoing Truth
SB: 1 [WWK] Chain Reaction
SB: 1 [PLC] Detritivore
SB: 1 [NPH] Spellskite
SB: 1 [SOM] Platinum Emperion

The famous Tron + Academy Ruins + Mindslaver setup in a different (not UW) shell I have been wondering. Spent a lot of time tunning the list and still think is very far from perfect, but is a start.
With the UR color combination, you make the deck more versatile when it comes to finishing the game and less reliant to the Mindslaver combo, that can be fragile. Finishing games attacking your opponents lifepoints is a pretty valid option. Also, as dmg is relevant, the Triskelion + Academy combo is another contender here, serving as creature sweeper or finisher as well and beeing four mana cheaper than the Mindslaver.
Body Double and Mnemonic Wall are on the mix to make sure you get what you want in Gifts Piles, like for ex. if you want Spell Burst (this + the urzatron can provide a lock against a good number of decks), you pick Mnemonic Wall + Body Double + Spell Burst + Anything (Normally a good creature, like Bogardan Hellkite or Godo to sinergize with Double if they chose to put it in your hand. If they put it on your hand, well... you just got an awesome, possibly game-breaking, creature).
The red color gives you range with the burn spells (Comet Storm, Banefire), however, you cannot rely on your sweepers as the white version can. Sometimes they will not be tottally effective.
Combust against Twin and Detritivore against lots of stuff are other nice cards the red color gives you. Those are beasts in their correct matchups.
Guess I explained all the non-obvious choices. Fell free to ask, sugest and/or criticize.

(Apologies for any english mistake)

01-12-2012, 04:36 PM
This deck needs some early counters and cheap sweepers. Its going to be tough for you to make it to turn 3 or 4 on the draw against affinity and zoo.

Dsch
01-12-2012, 06:06 PM
Not totally sold on the deck yet, but is fun and a beast when it goes off. I am facing some inconsitancy problems Im trying to fix. Actual List:

// Lands
2 [10E] Island (1)
4 [8E] Urza's Mine
4 [8E] Urza's Power Plant
4 [8E] Urza's Tower
3 [ZEN] Scalding Tarn
2 [GP] Steam Vents
2 [EVE] Cascade Bluffs
1 [10E] Mountain (1)
1 [FUT] Tolaria West
1 [TSP] Academy Ruins
1 [TSP] Urza's Factory

// Creatures
2 [TSP] Bogardan Hellkite
1 [PLC] Body Double
1 [CHK] Godo, Bandit Warlord
1 [M11] Triskelion
1 [SOM] Wurmcoil Engine

// Spells
4 [MR] Thirst for Knowledge
2 [FD] Condescend
4 [GP] Izzet Signet
1 [WWK] Comet Storm
1 [MBS] Slagstorm
2 [NPH] Batterskull
3 [CHK] Gifts Ungiven
3 [M11] Lightning Bolt
1 [ZEN] Burst Lightning
1 [10E] Crucible of Worlds
1 [SOM] Mindslaver
2 [GP] Repeal
4 [RAV] Remand

// Sideboard
SB: 1 [MBS] Slagstorm
SB: 1 [M11] Lightning Bolt
SB: 1 [FD] Engineered Explosives
SB: 1 [ISD] Witchbane Orb
SB: 1 [DS] Trinisphere
SB: 1 [TSB] Tormod's Crypt
SB: 2 [M12] Combust
SB: 1 [DS] Echoing Truth
SB: 1 [PLC] Detritivore
SB: 1 [NPH] Spellskite
SB: 1 [SOM] Platinum Emperion
SB: 1 [CFX] Banefire
SB: 1 [TSP] Spell Burst
SB: 1 [ROE] Mnemonic Wall

And some changes on the SB.

@264505
Early counters only helps decks with an aggressive theme, like Merfolks or Tempo. It is tough to any control deck to make it turn 3 or 4 on the draw against affinity and zoo. That being said, I can tell you this from testing: Against Zoo, killing their first creature can give you the edge. Because you will be using Gifts for a lifegain + blocker in the next turns, and from that stabilize (or not using Gifts at all, 2 Batterskulls/Wurmcoil/Godo sometimes are on your hand already).
However, Affinity is harder. Need probably another Slagstorm and/or Pyroclasm on the board.

nodahero
03-03-2012, 10:29 AM
I would try adding through the breach and Emrakuls... You could probably run Eye of Ugin as well. Also try adding expedition maps.