PDA

View Full Version : Martyr Of Sands Aggro

HorseshoeCrab
01-12-2012, 01:54 PM
So I have been testing the GW Maverick deck since I think that Mirrorweave & Hero Of Bladehold is an amazing combo that no one is really paying attention to. The deck is good. It has greats threats all up the curve, and it is really consistent. However, that deck is too safe. What I mean is that the deck just plays dudes and some removal. Its nothing special. Every aggro deck in the format does the same thing. Its fair and if I want to win a ticket to Barcelona then I want to play a deck that is not fair.

I was reading TCGPlayer for some reason, and came across this: http://magic.tcgplayer.com/db/article.asp?ID=10238

OMG OMG OMG OMG...this deck is the nuts! I was also thinking back to what FTW said about how Mirrorweave decks typically had Windbrisk Heights for the surprise kill, plus Spectral Possession. I put two and two together, and now I think I have the best Mirrorweave deck in the format... Not to mention so much card advantage and late game action, PLUS a bunch of life gain built in to fight aggro and even combo decks?!? How unfair!

Current list

1 Emeria, The Sky Ruin
1 Scrying Sheets
1 Mistveil Plains
16 Snow-Covered Plains
4 Windbrisk Heights

2 Auriok Champion
2 Hero Of Bladehold
4 Martyr Of Sands
3 Ranger Of Eos
4 Serra Ascendant
4 Squadron Hawk
2 Weathered Wayfarer

2 Honor Of The Pure
2 Mirrorweave
2 Oblivion Ring
3 Path To Exile
3 Proclamation Of Rebirth
4 Spectral Procession

SB:

3 Ethersworn Canonist
2 Ghostly Prison
2 Nevermore
1 Oblivion Ring
1 Rule Of Law
1 Spellskite
2 Samurai Of The Pale Curtain
1 Wheel Of Sun and Moon / Jotun Grunt
2 Stony Silence

How it plays

You can play this deck out in a few different ways, based on what your opponent is on and whether you are on the play or draw. Your typical turn 1 is a Windbrisk Heights or Emeria to get the tapped land out of the way. On turn 2 you are playing either Martyr of Sands, leaving 1 open for a sac, or one of your 2-drops. Squadron Hawk is actually pretty sick in this deck, since it fills your hand with white cards for Martyr, and provides a lot of threats for control.

You could drop Serra Ascendant on turn 1 or two, but I would do that only if I knew that my opponent wasn't on Lightning Bolt or Helix. I like dropping my Serras after gaining life so that my opponents can't Bolt Serra in response to a Martyr sac. A 6/6 is still fine on turn 3, right?

Turn three might be a Spectral Procession turn. If your opponent thinks you have something saucy under Windbrisk, this is where you make your opponent start to throw away removal spells. You are in value town at this point, and it is perfectly fine to lead with Spectral, bait out some resistance, and then drop a Serra after everything is said and done.

Mirrorweave is as useful as ever, but here it has more "I win" situations. Attacking with, say, a couple of Squadron Hawks and a 6/6 Serra will be devastating. Just make sure that your opponent lets the flyers through first. Hero only needs one other creature out to be lethal with Mirrorweave, and it just gets ridiculous with some spare Wayfarers or other things lying around.

This decks works well as a regular White Weenie deck. If you are playing against aggro or mid-range and you don't have Martyr, just drop Wayfarer and Auriok Champion instead and try to curve out. Hero is a real all-star here, since your opponent has to Path it or 2-for-1 it with burn spells. You have the long game because of Martyr recursion, so let them run themselves out of cards, and then take over with your card advantage and life gain.

You can play this deck out in a much slower fashion, namely against control decks. Here you apply the strategy of dropping a Wayfarer or a couple of Hawks and just swinging until they deal with it. Honor of the Pure is sweet here, because 1 Honor and 2 Hawks is a threat that you can just sit on. Make them answer your small threats, and then punish them with a Hero or Spectral. Oh, and if they drop some bomby creature, you can just Mirrorweave next turn to either turn it into a trade or win the game outright. Ranger gives you plenty of gas, so you shouldn't run out of threats as long as you play them out intelligently, and Proclamation being Forecast or Emeria going online means that you should always have threats on the board.

Sideboard

Ethersworn Canonist is a must-have in this meta to combat Storm and other combo decks. The hope is that this combined with my other sideboard cards will overwhelm the combo player so that they don't have enough answers. Honestly I hope to dodge combo rather than test this theory.

Ghostly Prison is a concession to the Affinity nut draws, as well as a way to keep Twin decks from killing me. Affinity can still just attack with one plating-equipped creature, but that is way more manageable than the battle cry attacks coupled with Arcbound Ravager tricks.

Nevermore = more combo hate. Also, a possible out to so many weird singletons that could just wreck you. It is a game 2 board-in against the combo decks, and a game 3 trump against the random stuff. Example: I played a match last night where I used this to stop my Mono-W control opponent from playing Isochron Scepter. A second copy came in naming Reverence. Go ahead and look that card up...Talk about awkward!

Oblivion Ring is more versatile removal. Its a swiss army knife that I'm never sad to see.

Rule of Law is another Canonist effect. Hopefully the answer for the Canonist isn't also an answer for this. This could be an Elspeth, Knight Errant as a nice card to bring in against control, but I'm really not worried about control with this deck. I have so much going on late game between Heros, Rangers, and Proclamation that I don't really need a dedicated slot to fight those decks.

Samurai of The Pale Curtain is my suggested graveyard hate. It provides a decent body to attack while nerfing Melira, Dredge, any flashback stuff, and whatever random graveyard interactions my opponents will come up with. I like this over Relic because Relic can be played around, and once its popped its gone for good. If I was playing Melira combo, for example, I would be able to bait the Relic sac effect, and just have to wait another turn or two to go off. I don't think that's good enough. I might do the split with a Wheel Of Sun and Moon, again to force my opponents to have more diverse answers. Jotun Grunt is another maybe as a way to put some good pressure on an opposing Tarmogoyf deck

Spellskite is something to help against Zoo, Jund, and other decks that have good removal for my Serra's Ascendants. It is also ok against Twin decks.

Stony Silence is in for Affinity, Tron, and other such things. I was having a rough time against Affinity's nut draws, and I didn't want a narrow answer like Kataki. Also, Tron is a terrible matchup, like nightmare bad, but this card might at least slow them down enough to get something going.

Misc

Hero Of Bladehold by itself cannot trigger Windbrisk, because the soldiers come in tapped and attacking. Those soldiers would have had to be in play before the Declare Attackers phase in order to count as "attacked."

Watch out for GY hate from your opponents. You can't bank on having those Martyrs stay in the graveyard, so try to keep one in your hand in those control matchups.

You don't have to reveal everything to Martyr. I would, for example, purposefully choose NOT to reveal Mirrorweave in G1. The surprise factor might be what decides that game!

If you are playing against a Mana Leak deck, and they go first, it is wise to go Wayfarer T1, and then just use Wayfarer on T2 to grab and play a Windbrisk. That way you are wasting their turn 2 while still doing something useful.

TheyCallMeTim
02-03-2012, 01:55 PM
Just wanna chime in here and post my list. I went for a pure aggro/control strategy and left out the Mirrorweave/Bladehold combo. Nontheless, seems capable of winning fast and grinding out a late game win.

4 Soul Warden
4 Soul's Attendant
4 Martyr of Sands
4 Serra Ascendant
4 Ajani's Pridemate
4 Ranger of Eos
1 Figure of Destiny
1 Gideon's Lawkeeper
1 Kami of False Hope
1 Weathered Wayfarer

3 Path to Exile
3 Oblivion Ring
3 Proclamation of Rebirth
3 Survival Cache

1 Emeria, the Sky Ruin
19 Plains

// Sideboard
4 Ethersworn Canonist
3 Ghostly Prison
3 Nevermore
1 Oblivion Ring
4 Silence

TheyCallMeTim
02-07-2012, 07:49 PM
Excuse the double post, I took the following list to a 12 man tournament yesterday:

4 Soul Warden
4 Soul's Attendant
4 Martyr of Sands
4 Serra Ascendant
4 Ajani's Pridemate
4 Ranger of Eos
1 Figure of Destiny
1 Gideon's Lawkeeper
1 Kami of False Hope
1 Weathered Wayfarer

3 Path to Exile
3 Oblivion Ring
3 Survival Cache

1 Emeria, the Sky Ruin
1 Sejiri Steppe
18 Plains

// Sideboard
4 Leyline of Sanctity
4 Ghostly Prison
1 Burrenton Forge-Tender
1 Path to Exile
1 Oblivion Ring
4 Surgical Extraction

So, I had mixed results with a 2-0-2 finish. Essentially this means I was undefeated yet still failed to make the top 4 with a mere 8 points. I don't entirely blame myself and certainly don't blame the deck. The two matches that ended tied up were against U/W Solar Flare and U/R Storm. The Control matchup was legitimate draw where we kept each other's threats off the table. Surgical Extraction on Wrath of God is pretty good. In the storm match I won the first game handily with too much life and a fast clock. Game two I open with Leyline of Sanctity and Surgical. GG, right? He goes off turn four by pinging my guys (can't target me) and storming 108 goblins into play. Thing is I had recently wasted my free Extirpate on a Ritual instead of hitting on earlier cast Empty the Warrens. It would've left him with no kill conditions or outs. His careful decision making left no time for a game three and my great 2-0 start becomes a frustrating 8 points. At the same time, one of my wins was against Affinity, a match up I was pretty worried about considering Inkmoth Nexus with Cranial Plating is pretty good. Turns out Gideon's Lawkeeper, Kami of False Hope and Path to Exile are heroes. I won this match 2-0 against an excellent pilot. Oh, and an earlier Soul Warden goes a long way as does Ghostly Prison.

Overall I feel the deck in incredibly strong. Some things I'd change in the 75 would be to go back to Ethersworn Cannonist and find a slot for Children of Korlis. It may be helpful to try and fit another Plains too, though I really liked the threat density and didn't mind having to mulligan from time to time

Ace/Homebrew
02-09-2012, 01:27 PM
I was messing around with my list and came up with the following:

4 Soul Warden
4 Martyr of Sands
4 Serra Ascendant
4 Aether Vial
3 Path to Exile
2 Brave the Elements

4 Squadron Hawk
4 Ajani's Pridemate

3 Kitchen Finks
2 Mentor of the Meek
2 Proclamation of Rebirth

4 Ranger of Eos

20 Plains

This is not a finalized list, more of a work in progress. I feel like SoFaI or SoFaF need to be in there. Wanted to post this to get some feedback though. I haven't seen any lists using Aether Vial.
I'm most unsure about my 3 drops. Mentor is nice for the card draw but he has to stay alive to see the benefit, unlike Ranger of Eos (who acts as a Goblin Ringleader in this deck. Kitchen Finks and Mirran Crusader were options at the 3 spot. I'm concerned that I won't have enough ways to gain life to make Ajani's Pridemate as big as he needs to get, that's why I chose Finks over the other options.

My thoughts after 1 night of goldfishing is to replace Mentor of the Meek with SoFaI and SoFaF. I would also like to replace Proclamation of Rebirth with a 3-drop creature, potentially Mirran Crusader.

TheyCallMeTim
02-15-2012, 04:10 AM
I once again attended the local Modern weekly running Mono White. It was virtually the same list as above, with Cannonist in the board instead of Leyline. I'm thinking of calling it Soul Martyr 'cause it's distinctly different than both Soul Sisters and Martyr/Proc. I went 4-0 and didn't drop even a single game against Solar Flare, Bant, Birthing Pod and Affinity. The deck is amazingly strong and I feel that about 56 of the 60 are right on. I could see someone debating Survival Cache, one or two of the silver bullet guys and probably a land. As far as the sideboard goes, it's been sufficient for what I'm dealing with but would want some input for a larger tournament. Anyway, if you haven't tried my 60, give it a shot.

HorseshoeCrab
03-19-2012, 01:42 PM
Hey,

Its been a very long time since I posted about this deck, but that doesn't mean that I stopped working on it. I've just been chronicling my progress on another forum.

Long story short, this deck became Bant, and eventually I cut the Martyrs from my deck and moved them to the sideboard. I really like having the option of gaining a ton of life against the format, but I don't want the Martyr in any of the control or combo matchups. Here's what the deck currently looks like:

1 Bojuka Bog
1 Breeding Pool
4 Flagstones Of Trokair
2 Forest
1 Hallowed Fountain
1 Island
3 Marsh Flats
4 Misty Rainforest
1 Plains
3 Temple Garden
1 Treetop Village
1 Verdant Catacombs

3 Geist of Saint Traft
4 Knight of The Reliquary
4 Noble Heirarch
3 Qasali Pridemage
4 Steppe Lynx
4 Tarmogoyf
3 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben

2 Bant Charm
2 Elspeth, Knight Errant
4 Path to Exile
1 Faith's Shield
1 Steelshaper's Gift
1 Sword of Fire and Ice
1 Sword of Feast and Famine / Light and Shadow (?)

SB:

1 Bribery (OHHHHHHH YEAAAHH)
2 Engineered Explosives
2 Gaddock Teeg
4 Martyr of Sands
1 Mortarpod
2 Phyrexian Metamorph
2 Thorn of Amethyst
1 Thrun, The Last Troll

TheyCallMeTim
03-23-2012, 05:32 AM
Long story short, this deck became Bant, and eventually I cut the Martyrs from my deck and moved them to the sideboard. I really like having the option of gaining a ton of life against the format, but I don't want the Martyr in any of the control or combo matchups.

I think at that point it becomes another deck entirely, especially considering the thread is called "Martyr Aggro"

sideralarts
02-16-2013, 05:18 PM
So by the awesome power of thread necromancy, I am wondering if anyone is going to try this deck with a black splash to take advantage of Orzhov Charm. I am thinking of making a slightly larger black splash for Bob, the charm, lingering souls, and the Vizkopa guildmage. anyone else have any idea on this?

CaptainTwiddle
02-18-2013, 06:35 PM
So by the awesome power of thread necromancy, I am wondering if anyone is going to try this deck with a black splash to take advantage of Orzhov Charm. I am thinking of making a slightly larger black splash for Bob, the charm, lingering souls, and the Vizkopa guildmage. anyone else have any idea on this?

As soon Orhov Charm was spoiled, I decided to resurrect Martyr Proc. This is the list I've been testing.

Orzhov Martyr
CREATURES
4 Dark Confidant
4 Martyr of Sands
4 Ranger of Eos
4 Serra Ascendant
1 Soul's Attendant
4 Squadron Hawk
SPELLS
1 Elspeth, Knight-Errant
4 Honor the Pure
4 Lingering Souls
3 Orzhov Charm
1 Path to Exile
1 Sorin, Lord of Innistrad
LAND
3 Arid Mesa
2 Godless Shrine
2 Isolated Chapel
4 Marsh Flats
2 Mistveil Plains
5 Plains
1 Swamp
4 Windbrisk Heights

SIDEBOARD
1 Auriok Champion
1 Burrenton Forge-Tender
2 Devour Flesh
1 Disenchant
1 Engineered Explosives
1 Ghostly Prison
2 Kataki, War's Wage
1 Nihl Spellbomb
1 Soul Warden
1 Spellskite
1 Stony Silence

My initial findings are that this is great against other aggro decks, since many simply can't beat the life gain and Lightning Bolt can't deal with a Serra Ascendant once you have 30+ life. My biggest concern is the Splinter Twin matchup, as you don't have a lot of outs other than 4 instant speed pieces of removal in Path and Charm. The single maindeck Soul's Attendant is there to shut off infinite Deceiver Exarchs and I'm thinking about cutting the Sorin for a Soul Warden so I have the ability to possibly get two "wardens" game one to nullify infinite Pestermites as well, of course Twin decks do generally run a set of Lightning Bolts, so it's not a fool proof plan, though there's the possibility of using Orzhov Charm in response to the Twin/Kiki activation to return a bolted warden to the field.

In general, the two Planeswalkers are the cards I'm least sure about. There are times when they're absolutely the best thing you could cast, but sometimes they're just too slow. I like Elspeth more than Sorin, since she makes white tokens that benefit from Honor the Pure. So, I might cut Sorin either for another "warden" or another Orzhov Charm.

I was originally running Spectral Procession over Lingering Souls, as it's a bit better at triggering Windbrisk Heights, but Lingering Souls really gives more staying power and resilience to the deck. Additionally, it's very common to cast a Squadron Hawk on turn 2. If you have a Lingering Souls in hand, it's great to be able to fetch all 3 hawks and discard the Souls for a future flashback.

The sideboard looks a lot rougher than it actually is. The cards are there to provide a variety of answers to Splinter Twin, R/G Tron (well, their Pyroclasms), Affinity, and Boggles, as well as some general answers to problem cards (e.g. artifact/enchantment hate).

fogxanic
08-07-2013, 04:39 PM
Ok guys check this out! It's M14 edition of WW Martyr. I played today at 4 round tournaments. Went 2-1-1. G1 vs. UW time warp/mill 1-1-1, G2 vs. valakut 2-0, G3 vs. green tron 2-0, G4 vs. ajundi 1-2. Otherwise deck felt nice but sweepers hit hard.
UW mill deck had supreme verdicts and some "prevent all combat damage" -card. So he slowed me enough. Game 3 went for time and he played like 4 of the 5 additional turns :laugh:
Ajundi guy jund charmed many times my guys and I figured that rip + Immortal Servitude is not so good combination because I wanted side in both against that. I already took 1 rip for relic maybe rest will change too. Also major land flood on game 2 and 3. I reduced 1 land for elspeth on this list. (4th ranger of eos is coming to replace something).

Modern Martyr:

Creatures: 24

2 Ajani's Pridemate
2 Archangel of Thune
1 Figure of Destiny
2 Martyr of Sands
3 Ranger of Eos
4 Serra Ascendant
3 Soul Warden
3 Soul's Attendant
4 Squadron Hawk (I think these sucks, any1 know something better in this slot?)

Spells: 15

1 Ajani, Caller of the Pride
1 Elspeth, Knight-Errant
3 Honor of the Pure
4 Path to Exile
1 Raise the Alarm
4 Spectral Procession
1 Sword of Fire and Ice

Lands: 21

2 Flagstones of Trokair
13 Plains
1 Snow-Covered Plains
2 Tectonic Edge
3 Windbrisk Heights

Side: 15

2 Aven Mindcensor
2 Immortal Servitude
2 Oblivion Ring
2 Pithing Needle
1 Relic of Progenitus
2 Rest in Peace
2 Spellskite
2 Sundering Growth

TheyCallMeTim
08-12-2013, 03:40 AM
4 Squadron Hawk (I think these sucks, any1 know something better in this slot?)

That's easy. +2 Pridemate, +1 Warden, +1 Attendant. It's nice to see people still working on this, it's still very competitive.

paeng4983
08-12-2013, 09:55 PM
4 Squadron Hawk (I think these sucks, any1 know something better in this slot?

No they're not. As I see it, Hawks are very good for the following reasons:

- they refill your hand, which is good for martyr. In this case, Martyr's number should be 4.
- they help spectral for beat down, especially If you're using Swords.
- they're great blockers.
- you'll never run out of hawks if you're using Mistveil Plains.

FTW
08-13-2013, 11:54 PM
No they're not. As I see it, Hawks are very good for the following reasons:

- they refill your hand, which is good for martyr. In this case, Martyr's number should be 4.
- they help spectral for beat down, especially If you're using Swords.
- they're great blockers.
- you'll never run out of hawks if you're using Mistveil Plains.

I agree, you should max out on Martyrs if bothering to play Martyr-Proc

//25 creatures:
4 Martyr of Sands
4 Serra Ascendant
4 Soul Warden
4 Squadron Hawk
4 Ajani's Pridemate
3 Ranger of Eos
1 Figure of Destiny
1 Soul's Attendant

//13 spells:
4 Path to Exile
4 Spectral Procession
2 Elspeth, Knight-Errant

//22 lands:
4 Windbrisk Heights
2 Tectonic Edge
15 Plains
1 Mistveil Plains

//Sideboard:
1 Burrenton Forgetender
3 Surgical Extraction
2 Spellskite
2 Aven Mindcensor
2 Leonin Arbiter
3 Pithing Needle
2 Sundering Growth

cronos
11-08-2013, 04:58 PM
What do you think about to include Kitchen Finks in the mainlist? I've seen some decks with this creature instead of Squadron Hawk... What do you think? Regards.

TheyCallMeTim
11-10-2013, 11:46 PM
What do you think about to include Kitchen Finks in the mainlist? I've seen some decks with this creature instead of Squadron Hawk... What do you think? Regards.

I don't think it's worth it. In most decks, the CMC 3 is good for what you get but in this deck CMC 1 is better with Ranger of Eos and you're gaining plenty of life as it is. My list is still pretty close to what I posted last year and I don't run either of these cards. But lately I've been testing the Red splash with Norin the Wary and am having a hard time founding room for everything I want to do.

TheyCallMeTim
11-11-2013, 12:09 AM
I would like further explain my comments regarding Norin the Wary. Luis Scott-Vargas wrote the following a few weeks ago:

http://www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/deck/1332

Additionally, this deck won a Modern Daily way back in April:

http://mtgtop8.com/event?e=5738&d=233241

Synergistic tricks abound with the namesake card, but these builds essentially are trading the awesome power of Martyr of Sands and Serra Ascendant to accomplish it's plan with Champion of the Parish. I don't think that's necessarily a trade off that needs to be made. However, fitting the strategies of the entire team of Soul Warden, Champion of the Parish, Norin the Wary, Ajani's Pridemate, Martyr of Sands and Serra Ascendant is going to require some crafty deck building. I have trade a few approaches on paper but haven't done extensive testing quite yet. The following list is a present consideration, though not perfect in any way.

4 Soul Warden
3 Soul's Attendant
3 Champion of the Parish
4 Martyr of Sands
3 Serra Ascendant
3 Ajani's Pridemate
4 Ranger of Eos
1 Norin the Wary
1 Kami of False Hope
1 Grim Lavamancer
1 Gideon's Lawkeeper
1 Weathered Wayfarer
1 Legion Loyalist

2 Boros Charm
3 Lightning Helix

11 Plains
1 Emeria, The Sky Ruin
1 Sejiri Steppe
1 Kher Keep
3 Clifftop Retreat
4 Arid Mesa
1 Sacred Foundry

Obviously I like my silver bullets, but there is definitely tweaking room there. I've always liked the ability to grind out a controlling game with the mono-white list through the ability to dig up answers. As it presently stands, I maintain the ability to do that. I've reluctantly tried cutting Ajani's Pridemate entirely to ride solely on the back of Champion and Ascendant which may be the route I end up with. Anyway, let me know what you think.

TheyCallMeTim
11-16-2013, 01:56 AM
Sorry for the triple post. After testing, making some changes and earning a 3-1 finish in a local FNM, I've found that it is in fact too convoluted to run both the Champion of the Parish / Norin the Wary strategy and Martyr of Sands / Serra Ascendant combination. The following is what I will be registering for a WPN 2K tomorrow. Hopefully a positive report will follow.

4 Soul Warden
4 Soul's Attendant
4 Champion of the Parish
4 Ajani's Pridemate
4 Ranger of Eos
1 Serra Ascendant
1 Gideon's Lawkeeper
1 Weathered Wayfarer
1 Norin the Wary
1 Grim Lavamancer
1 Kami of False Hope
1 Legion Loyalist
1 Figure of Destiny

4 Boros Charm
4 Lightning Helix

10 Plains
1 Mountain
1 Emeria, The Sky Ruin
1 Sejiri Steppe
1 Kher Keep
3 Clifftop Retreat
4 Arid Mesa
1 Sacred Foundry

//Sideboard
3 Suppression Field
4 Kataki, War's Wage
4 Ethersworn Canonist
4 Blood Moon

If anyone can work out the combined strategy that I was going for before, please share. As far as this list goes, I'm not completely sold on the lone Mountain, Proclamation of Rebirth and a few of the 1-ofs. But I feel that about 70 of the 75 are right.